Dress Code question

CERS

Mouseketeer
Hey all! So we're doing the Countdown to Midnight event and in the Dress Code they specify that "tennis shoes" are not permitted.

Now, what does Disney refer to with "tennis shoes"? For example, urban "Adidas" or "Converse" styles count as tennis shoes or is it only the typical Nike style tennis shoes??

We're going from Europe and we don't know if we need to pack specific "dress shoes" only for this event (which would be quite inconvenient actually). Thanks for the help!!

The description of the event mentions it is an "elegant" event with an "elegant ambiance." To me, that means dress shoes. You can probably get away with less dressy casual shoes that can't be mistaken for sneakers. How strictly they adhere to the stated dress code probably remains to be seen. But unless you are willing to forfeit your tickets over shoes, I'd err on the side of caution.

Enjoy your vacation!

I would take it as sneakers/athletic shoes.
For women I would assume sandals would be fine so its not like you need to wear heels or other dress shoes.
For guys I'd say loafers would be fine so again it doesn't have to be terribly dressy shoes.

Hey all! So we're doing the Countdown to Midnight event and in the Dress Code they specify that "tennis shoes" are not permitted.

Now, what does Disney refer to with "tennis shoes"? For example, urban "Adidas" or "Converse" styles count as tennis shoes or is it only the typical Nike style tennis shoes??

We're going from Europe and we don't know if we need to pack specific "dress shoes" only for this event (which would be quite inconvenient actually). Thanks for the help!!

I think all of these would be considered “tennis shoes”

The description of the event mentions it is an "elegant" event with an "elegant ambiance." To me, that means dress shoes. You can probably get away with less dressy casual shoes that can't be mistaken for sneakers. How strictly they adhere to the stated dress code probably remains to be seen. But unless you are willing to forfeit your tickets over shoes, I'd err on the side of caution.

Enjoy your vacation!
I agree

As someone who works in the shoe industry I understand what you’re saying.

There’s Fashion athletics and Function athletics.

My guess is neither will be appropriate for this particular dress code. Even the fashion athletics will be much too casual.

I think you better err on the side of caution and pack a pair of semi dress loafers at the very least.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you all!!

As someone who works in the shoe industry I understand what you’re saying.

There’s Fashion athletics and Function athletics.

My guess is neither will be appropriate for this particular dress code. Even the fashion athletics will be much too casual.

I think you better err on the side of caution and pack a pair of semi dress loafers at the very least.

Enjoy your trip!

Yeah. I think we would be able to pull off with fashion athletics, but we won't risk it. We'll pack a couple of dressy shoes and be with it. I won't let a pair of shoes keep me worried on NYE. Lol.

Thanks again all for the suggestions!!!

Good, because what pretty everybody seems to be saying is that you wouldn't be able to pull off fashion athletics.

I get what everyone says, but usually fashion athletics allowance on dress code events, greatly depend on the rest of the outfit. You can pull off some fashion athletics from Adidas with casual-elegant look and easily be allowed. While you can put some loafers with a too sporty look, and be rejected.

Either way, as I said, we won't risk it. We'll go with the elegant ambiance including the shoes. :-)

The website says this"
Dress to Impress
To preserve the elegant ambiance of this festive gathering, you are asked to adhere to a dress code for the Disney Countdown to Midnight event. For men, we recommend dress pants or slacks with a collared shirt. For women, we recommend dresses, skirts, pants and blouses. Jeans may also be worn if in good condition (no holes).

Not permitted are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, T-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops and tennis shoes.

So if I am dressing to impress, I'm glamming it up. Like formal dinner night on a cruise. Sequins, sparkle, shiny.

Last edited:
I get what everyone says, but usually fashion athletics allowance on dress code events, greatly depend on the rest of the outfit.
Would it be possible for you to post a couple of links? Nothing I Googled looked anywhere near dressy or formal. Thanks.

Something like this you could get away with....
8348876_fpx.tif

Really? Those look like sneakers, even with the sparkles. With Frankenstein soles.

I have them in Black and they aren't a thick sole like it seems in the picture. And they aren't tennis shoe looking at all when worn with pants. I was just saying if they are sequined or something you'd probably be ok, but who knows any more.

We attended two years ago. For those commenting here is the Dress code from the Disney site. Most attending were fairly dressed up when we attended. I believe I wore a Jacket & Tie and my Wife wore a dress. Others wore slacks and dress shirt. Photographers on the way in took photos which are nice keep sakes, which were available on Photo pass.

Dress to Impress
To preserve the elegant ambiance of this festive gathering, you are asked to adhere to a dress code for the Disney Countdown to Midnight event. For men, we recommend dress pants or slacks with a collared shirt. For women, we recommend dresses, skirts, pants and blouses. Jeans may also be worn if in good condition (no holes).

Not permitted are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, T-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops and tennis shoes.

We attended two years ago. For those commenting here is the Dress code from the Disney site. Most attending were fairly dressed up when we attended. I believe I wore a Jacket & Tie and my Wife wore a dress. Others wore slacks and dress shirt. Photographers on the way in took photos which are nice keep sakes, which were available on Photo pass.

Dress to Impress

Yes, that was already quoted in post #14.
Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!