Drinking topic on Podcasts

I will throw out the first solution. Drink limit tied to magic bands
Not everybody wears magic bands.
Every guest inside a park has either a Magic Band or a physical ticket (or both) which both access the same systems. Stop letting one person go up to the counter and buy more than one drink. You want a drink? You need to go up and get it yourself. Limit one at a time.

The next step is to put a time limit on ordering. Just as there is a time limit on refilling your soda mug, there should be a time limit on buying alcoholic drinks. An average adult can metabolize an average drink in one hour. I don't have any particular objection to people having a good time and being a little buzzed if that's what they want to do, so maybe the limit could be one drink every 40 minutes with some maximum number as well. Yes, that will kill 'Drinking Around the World' but it will also eliminate people stumbling around wasted, vomiting in flower beds, and acting like a bunch of frat boys in the middle of a family-oriented theme park.

Just because a lot of guests are using Disney transportation, there is also a parking lot filled with thousands of cars so a great many people are getting behind the wheel at some point. Maybe they should also do what sporting events and concerts do and stop serving 60 minutes before park closing time.

We love WDW. We love Epcot, especially at night, but we will absolutely not visit World Showcase on a weekend evening during Food and Wine and that's a shame, and I know we are far from the only ones who feel that way. Disney needs to decide what they want that park to be.

You want a drink? You need to go up and get it yourself. Limit one at a time.

Except I want a drink so my friend gets it, we move to the next location and my friend gets their own drink.

An average adult can metabolize an average drink in one hour. I

Except here is the thing NO not all adults are average metabolisms and an average height and weight.

Simply put I drink doubles on the rocks. I need roughly 5 of those drinks in a 2 hour span to test as "drunk" with a .08 and more to act drunk.

That's why I say I am fine with limits just as long as they let me surpass them via some test.

vomiting in flower beds, and acting like a bunch of frat boys in the middle of a family-oriented theme park.

How often does that occur and further to that point kids should not be allowed after 7pm/8pm in one park per evening allowing a park to be more adult.

Maybe they should also do what sporting events and concerts do and stop serving 60 minutes before park closing time.

You understand that is one of the worst rules to curb drinking correct? The reason is they announce last call and people will order 2/3/4 beers for themselves to hold since they figure "I need to have some through the end of the game". Again this really goes back to self accountability. What would be a legitimate stop would be for a law to be passed where if you want to drink in an establishment you must turn over your keys and only can recieve them back after you test non-Intoxicated. You would have to show proof of designated driver or public transportation if not turning over keys. Disney could do it with magic band scanning as you leave busses or at the carshare drop off.

Except I want a drink so my friend gets it, we move to the next location and my friend gets their own drink.
Not if there's a limit of one drink every 30 minutes or some other set time.

kids should not be allowed after 7pm/8pm in one park per evening allowing a park to be more adult.
So your solution is to turn World Showcase into Pleasure Island every Saturday night. Disney World is lacking that adult space right now. Pleasure Island was 21 and up for a while. Nothing has ever replaced that which is a shame. I don't know that closing off one of the parks, or even part of a park, is the right way to fix that missing piece but maybe it is. Interesting idea.

You understand that is one of the worst rules to curb drinking correct? The reason is they announce last call and people will order 2/3/4 beers for themselves to hold since they figure "I need to have some through the end of the game".
Which takes us back to the "one drink at a time and one drink every 30 or 40 minutes" ideas. Don't let people buy 2/3/4 beers at a time.

I’d suggest somebody pull in what the Florida law is regarding dram shop liability as that’s going to tell you what the standard is (Hello @jcb ) and thus what Disney has to meet.

Every guest inside a park has either a Magic Band or a physical ticket (or both) which both access the same systems. Stop letting one person go up to the counter and buy more than one drink. You want a drink? You need to go up and get it yourself. Limit one at a time.

The next step is to put a time limit on ordering. Just as there is a time limit on refilling your soda mug, there should be a time limit on buying alcoholic drinks. An average adult can metabolize an average drink in one hour. I don't have any particular objection to people having a good time and being a little buzzed if that's what they want to do, so maybe the limit could be one drink every 40 minutes with some maximum number as well. Yes, that will kill 'Drinking Around the World' but it will also eliminate people stumbling around wasted, vomiting in flower beds, and acting like a bunch of frat boys in the middle of a family-oriented theme park.

Just because a lot of guests are using Disney transportation, there is also a parking lot filled with thousands of cars so a great many people are getting behind the wheel at some point. Maybe they should also do what sporting events and concerts do and stop serving 60 minutes before park closing time.

We love WDW. We love Epcot, especially at night, but we will absolutely not visit World Showcase on a weekend evening during Food and Wine and that's a shame, and I know we are far from the only ones who feel that way. Disney needs to decide what they want that park to be.
I agree. It's nothing to do with not wanting people to have a good time, But, Disney is (or was) primarily a FAMILY park, It's a shame that I read post after post from people saying they have to keep their families away from Epcot on week-ends and especially after dinner time because of how much drinking goes on. It is another sign that the parks have changed to only caring about profit.

It likely is an issue but I don’t notice it as much as they talk about it. Obviously I’m only in Epcot a handful of times a year tho. I’ve been during food and wine too. I’ve also done drink around the world. I don’t know why one would want to get absolutely trashed at Epcot because that would be crazy expensive. The group I did it with we shared a lot and also stopped in Italy to eat at Via Napoli.

I’m not sure what the right answer would be either. I don’t know how you enforce a time limit or such. I don’t think that would work well. Yes you have magicbands but not everyone wears them.

Disney isn’t responsible for the behavior of people who want to drink too much. Their is literally no way they can police alcohol consumption when it’s literally provided steps away everywhere you turn.
I’m not familiar with the laws in Florida, but in my state you could be held liable for the actions of a guest you over served if sued.

Not paying for a pint in England when I can get the same stuff in Wetherspoons for a couple of quid 😂😂😂 English drinks are not limited to strong bow and boddingtons *shakes head in disappointment*
My experience from when I used to work in bars is that just drinking beer rarely contribute to the biggest problems. You may have a problem here or there from the people that are only drinking beer, but the vast majority of the problems come from the people that have been downing shots, wine and mixed drinks.

ok so my friend goes to get in instead of me.
You are still responsible under the law. The way the law is written you are responsible for the people consuming alcohol in your establishment. You are supposed to monitor the behavior of your guests. You are responsible for the safety of guest that are visibly drunk and the safety of those they encounter.

If it were up to me they’d just eliminate drinking and smoking from the parks/resorts. Walt never intended his parks to have alcohol everywhere.

I know that’s not going to happen because people love their booze and it’s a great money maker, but I like the idea of linking it to your magic bands / park ticket. At least that way they can monitor what’s going on. They put limits on soda cups at their resorts, I don’t see why they can’t do something similar in the parks.

Alternatively, they could adopt a variable pricing model and increase the price with each drink.

If it were up to me they’d just eliminate drinking and smoking from the parks/resorts. Walt never intended his parks to have alcohol everywhere.

I know that’s not going to happen because people love their booze and it’s a great money maker, but I like the idea of linking it to your magic bands / park ticket. At least that way they can monitor what’s going on. They put limits on soda cups at their resorts, I don’t see why they can’t do something similar in the parks.

Alternatively, they could adopt a variable pricing model and increase the price with each drink.
Smoking already is. It’s allowed outside the parks.

You can’t say Walt wanted 0 drinking either because Club 33 allowed drinking.

My experience from when I used to work in bars is that just drinking beer rarely contribute to the biggest problems. You may have a problem here or there from the people that are only drinking beer, but the vast majority of the problems come from the people that have been downing shots, wine and mixed drinks.

That‘s me! Three or four beers is about my max before I get too bloated and full and will stop drinking. A good whiskey is a different story!

It's very difficult because although I agree on having drinking linked to magic bands/tickets different people get affected differently by alcohol. Not everyone is effected the same - one person can get tipsy on 1 beer while another is still absolutely fine after 6, who's got the right to tell someone to stop doing something when they're OK, not loud or showing any signs of being drunk?
I think WS simply needs to warn people that unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated and that people WILL be asked to leave.

I'm not sure what the answer here is. I haven't been to Epcot at night in a long time so I'm not sure what it looks like, but I have been to Bourbon St. during Mardi Gras and that was the ugliest drinking scene I've ever experienced.

I see the problem as:
1. It's vacation. People like to drink on vacation. I've seen it at every vacation spot I've been to.
2. Epcot has always been seen as more of an adult park--especially the WS. So my guess is that if it's bad after 4pm, that's likely one of the causes.
3. Drinking around the world at WS is a very real thing. Google it. I'll admit to making a very hardy attempt to do it in my early 30s, my wife stopped halfway through and I think I missed England and Canada. With that said, we also started as soon as the WS opened so we weren't trying to cram it all in at night. We tried to space it out so we weren't a mess but in retrospect I would never attempt it again.
4. Alcohol is everywhere. It's like what Walt said the spacing of trash cans. Just enough time between cans to finish a hot dog. You can't walk very far without another alcoholic option.
5. Because it's everywhere it's super hard for CM to judge how much a guest has consumed.
6. Transportation is provided. You can safely get back to your resort without driving.

With all that said possible solutions might be:
1. Spacing out alcohol options.
2. Don't have Food and Wine festival. Just call it a Food Festival and each booth only serves food--no alcohol. Do the same for the Flower and Garden.
3. Better train CMs to spot over served guests.

Not sure what else can be done. The pre-partying problem is impossible to solve.

I'm sure the revenue from alcohol at Epcot is epic and Disney has no incentive to limit it.

Unfortunately Pete is right about, God forbid, a tragic incident is the only thing that will cause Disney to change its practices.

We went to Epcot on Friday night, spent the bulk of our time in WS and save for some rowdy men my DH saw in the bathroom we honestly didn’t notice anyone who was obviously drunk. Being a Friday during a festival I was bracing myself for the worst.

I would be shocked if Disney tried to curb people spending double digits on their relatively small drinks. Can’t see them ever doing some of the suggestions here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!