Drinking topic on Podcasts

sethschroeder

DIS Veteran
In the recent podcast there were comments once again about people being over served.

I think the thing that is lost is that I don't know of a bar, restaurant, or club where I see anyone cutting people off. Especially a location where a large portion of your guests actually have safe transportation home.

That being said what is the solution that people have? Especially when you consider if someone gets cut off they likely will have a friend order for them.

It has been previously mentioned by Craig that he also sees people coming to the park or in the parking lot drinking.

As you likely can tell I think this comes down to more personal responsibility. Disney could also incentivize safe drinking through a discount structure (% off for having taken busses/ride share to parks).

There was a topic a while back in another forum that wondered why so many people were passionate about banning alcohol when so few incidents are reported.

I will throw out the first solution. Drink limit tied to magic bands and in order to exceed limit you are required to take breathalyzer. This likely would be see way too aggressive though by many and would not stop outside consumption.

Last edited:
There was a topic a while back in another forum that wondered why so many people were passionate about banning alcohol when so few incidents are reported.

Ya I am not about banning or really changing anything personally. I just keep seeing these comments and it's more so "what do you want them to do".

I think the ideal is just ot have Disney security be more active in taking aside people who appear to have had too much. Even if earlier and just sort of put them in a friendly "time out" - not kick them out or anything, just to promote them to pace themselves

If they are belligerent or resist then kick them out of the park - let people know it isn't ok to act inappropriate due to drinking too much

I honestly don't see how people can afford to get tipsy at Disney... the drinks are soooooo expensive. My husband and I have definitively stated we will the drink around the world a go (mixing non alcoholic drinks in because I don't want to get carried out on a stretcher, thank you please) and by the time we have got a margarita from Mexico and a plum wine from China we are pretty much tapped out! Maybe on a splurge day a frozen cocktail from France but usually that's just me, by that time DH is thinking more about dessert😂

I honestly don't see how people can afford to get tipsy at Disney... the drinks are soooooo expensive. My husband and I have definitively stated we will the drink around the world a go (mixing non alcoholic drinks in because I don't want to get carried out on a stretcher, thank you please) and by the time we have got a margarita from Mexico and a plum wine from China we are pretty much tapped out! Maybe on a splurge day a frozen cocktail from France but usually that's just me, by that time DH is thinking more about dessert😂
Can confirm. I've been tipsy at Disney many a time. Am now broke. We basically have to save up for drinks when we save up for our vacation lol

I agree - though I think when at Disney some people sort of aren't as careful with their money or are ok with splurging (sort of like, it isn't real when in the fantasy world ... you know, until you get the credit card bill next month) ... plus so easy to not notice how much you are spending when just using your magic band and also once one gets a bit tipsy it is that much easier to not think clearly about what you are spending

on top of that, some of the worst cases I have seen mentioned involved the individual "pre-partying" in the parking lot so they were already 1/2 in the tank before walking through the tapstyle

I agree - though I think when at Disney some people sort of aren't as careful with their money or are ok with splurging (sort of like, it isn't real when in the fantasy world ... you know, until you get the credit card bill next month) ... plus so easy to not notice how much you are spending when just using your magic band and also once one gets a bit tipsy it is that much easier to not think clearly about what you are spending

on top of that, some of the worst cases I have seen mentioned involved the individual "pre-partying" in the parking lot so they were already 1/2 in the tank before walking through the tapstyle
Harder to 'pre party' on Disney transportation I guess 😂 we do buy duty free on the way over but there's a difference between a rum and coke in the hotel room and chugging in the car park I guess. I always thought the English had a bad reputation for alcohol but maybe epcot visitors are catching up!

Can confirm. I've been tipsy at Disney many a time. Am now broke. We basically have to save up for drinks when we save up for our vacation lol
We are trying to do the same (not just for drinks, for plushes I don't need or have room for too) but the exchange rate is literally getting worse faster than we can save.

If you spot a sad couple sharing an angry orchard or yuengling... you'll know who it is *tiny violin playing*

I work as a DJ in a bar in Portugal so the idea of spending a huge amount of my holiday savings on alcohol is horrific. I go to Orlando for amazing and incredible experiences, not to buy overly expensive drinks.

Even a glass of wine with dinner is sometimes too much for me.

WS at Epcot though I do love a Stein in Germany, it's something I have to do whilst I'm watching the entertainment, which I love.

I work as a DJ in a bar in Portugal so the idea of spending a huge amount of my holiday savings on alcohol is horrific. I go to Orlando for amazing and incredible experiences, not to buy overly expensive drinks.

Even a glass of wine with dinner is sometimes too much for me.

WS at Epcot though I do love a Stein in Germany, it's something I have to do whilst I'm watching the entertainment, which I love.

and I think what you describe is what most of us enjoy - having a drink now and then to go along with the experience. (though we do often have a drink with dinner as well - just part of "vacation")

But for some, it goes too far

$$$ Its not going to change. I dont like World Showcase looking like Bourbon Street either but it's not going to change. In fact at the moment it's probably keeping Epcot profitable. Just dont visit Epcot at night, especially during festivals(I think there are 2 or w days at least : ) ), and you'll be fine.

I think most of the drunks we see at Epcot are half drunk before they get there. If they would crack down on drinking in the parking lot, that would help alot. Also, the Epcot After 4pm pass may have alot to do with people getting semi drunk then going into Epcot.

Last edited:
The analogy of World Showcase/Epcot being like Bourbon St/NOLA is very accurate. Weekends at F&W are terrible. Really gross. Just a big old frat party and sloppy drunks--men and women. We avoid it and find it so much better any other time.

I don't think there's a way to monitor. When Epcot has "Drink Around the World" t-shirts and scorecards, it's part of the culture there.

As an ex-bartender I can say that it's easy to keep track of who's drinking how much when they are in 1 bar all night. The problem is that at Epcot, people are wandering from one booth to the next and it's not the same cast member serving each time. I'll agree that when people are visibly drunk they should not be served anymore but by that time it's too late. At this point, when visibly drunk, it takes a few hours for them to sober up.

I'd like to see either an RFID type cup that is sold for those who want to drink when the timing could be set for every 30-45 minutes ( which is the time period it takes the average adult to process alcohol ) or a coupon system ( like everyone gets 3 coupons daily ) which won't necessarily stop it but could lessen the amount of intoxicated folks walking around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!