Drinks on kids QS dining plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockayh

Earning My Ears
Our trip this year, will be the first time in a while we've had dining plan.
Looking at menus etc, nearly all kids QS meals seem to come packaged with a drink of water, milk or juice. Now the dining plan literature says that everyone is entitled to speciality drink, or soft drink like soda etc. So do kids end up having 2 drinks per meal? As that seems like a waste (my 6 year old can't hold that much liquid, and I wouldn't want her to, especially when we'd probably be in queues for rides after meals 😁).
I'm sorry if that's a silly question, I'm just trying to understand how best to use the plan.

Good luck finding those specialty drinks the drink has to be offered on the child’s menu, not just offered on the (adult) menu.

the beverage in the combo meals is the beverage. You can swap out milk for soda, but not a lot else.

Thank you for your reply. Wow that sucks, I hate that the rules have changed 😪. Looks like the dining plan that we have is now pretty pointless for our daughter. And we're going to have to spend money to buy adult meals for her every day.

Thank you for your reply. Wow that sucks, I hate that the rules have changed 😪. Looks like the dining plan that we have is now pretty pointless for our daughter. And we're going to have to spend money to buy adult meals for her every day.
Please know that Disney has not changed any rules on the dining plan. They simply fixed a loophole in their system that allowed guest to order adult meals and pay child prices. They are simply enforcing their dining plan rules!

Please know that Disney has not changed any rules on the dining plan. They simply fixed a loophole in their system that allowed guest to order adult meals and pay child prices. They are simply enforcing their dining plan rules!
I appreciate that. But the loophole has been the same for many years (we last had dining plan in 2014 and the QS credits were all allocated as adult despite having a child with us).
Even if my child liked it, which she doesn't. I do not consider pb&j to be a meal at all. There is zero nutritional value and far too much sugar. Macaroni cheese isn't much better. She doesn't like nuggets And she isn't a burger fan usually. We are there for 14 nights. That is a lot of junk food, with not much variety twice a day.
I booked with the belief she could have adult meals so I'm disappointed.
I don't want to be exploiting loopholes. I just want the choice of child sized portions of everything on the menu as an option. Not the same 5 junk food meals offered to my child at every location.

Also I asked abou the speciality drinks because this is the write up on disney's own website...

"Enjoy a refreshing selection of non-alcoholic or alcoholic‡ (for Guests over 21) beverages to accompany your meal including:
  • Artisanal milkshakes and fresh smoothies
  • Mocktails and sodas
  • Beer, cider and most wines
  • Sangria and speciality cocktails"
If Pumbaa_ is correct, and she is not entitled to milkshakes and smoothies. I feel that the literature is misleading. And again I'm disappointed.

I appreciate that. But the loophole has been the same for many years (we last had dining plan in 2014 and the QS credits were all allocated as adult despite having a child with us).
Originally, it was enforced. It's Disney's plan/property, they can enforce it as strictly or not, as they choose. Have you considered aging your daughter up to ten? You'd have to pay more, obviously, but she would have a much, much wider choice.
There is zero nutritional value and far too much sugar.
I'll concede to the sugar, obviously, but peanut butter has nutritional value.

I am also interested in this... Can we include a specialty beverage (slushy, etc) in a kids QS credit?

From what I’ve seen, the limitation for child meals is the offering has to be on the child’s menu for the child to order. Same w desserts. So what you see on tthe he adult menus just isn’t available to be ordered using a kid credit. The beverage/dessert has to be on the child menu

Even if my child liked it, which she doesn't. I do not consider pb&j to be a meal at all. There is zero nutritional value and far too much sugar. Macaroni cheese isn't much better. She doesn't like nuggets And she isn't a burger fan usually. We are there for 14 nights. That is a lot of junk food, with not much variety twice a day.
I booked with the belief she could have adult meals so I'm disappointed.
I don't want to be exploiting loopholes. I just want the choice of child sized portions of everything on the menu as an option. Not the same 5 junk food meals offered to my child at every location.

Also I asked abou the speciality drinks because this is the write up on disney's own website...

"Enjoy a refreshing selection of non-alcoholic or alcoholic‡ (for Guests over 21) beverages to accompany your meal including:
  • Artisanal milkshakes and fresh smoothies
  • Mocktails and sodas
  • Beer, cider and most wines
  • Sangria and speciality cocktails"
If Pumbaa_ is correct, and she is not entitled to milkshakes and smoothies. I feel that the literature is misleading. And again I'm disappointed.
I have been having the exact same thoughts! It's the same meals over and over again for the kiddoes, and both of mine actually like healthy, adventurous food! There are other's talking about this same issue and there is a selection of restaurants in each park and at a few resorts that actually have decent choices for them. (If I was more tech savvy I'm guessing there is a way I could link you to that thread 😕) .

Speaking of substituting... have you heard if adults can substitute the 'specialty drink' for a side? I'm a water person, and we always just have our water bottles with us, but if my husband and I could both substitute our drinks for a cup of soup or veggie or something for the kids I could easily share some meals with them.

I have been having the exact same thoughts! It's the same meals over and over again for the kiddoes, and both of mine actually like healthy, adventurous food! There are other's talking about this same issue and there is a selection of restaurants in each park and at a few resorts that actually have decent choices for them. (If I was more tech savvy I'm guessing there is a way I could link you to that thread 😕) .

Speaking of substituting... have you heard if adults can substitute the 'specialty drink' for a side? I'm a water person, and we always just have our water bottles with us, but if my husband and I could both substitute our drinks for a cup of soup or veggie or something for the kids I could easily share some meals with them.
At your resort you'll be able to do this without much issue. In the parks it'll probably be at the CM's whim. It used to be that you could everywhere... in fact 1 year not long ago where every single CM we encountered "advertised" it, but since then it's more of a here and there type situation except for resorts in which you should always be able to sub your drink for a side/snack item. - All of this speaking in terms of adult credits.

I also feel like the kids' meals are very repetitive. I do have a picky 10 year old so I'm going to use his meals for my more adventurous 7 and 2 year olds to split while he eats the kid's meal.

I also feel like the kids' meals are very repetitive. I do have a picky 10 year old so I'm going to use his meals for my more adventurous 7 and 2 year olds to split while he eats the kid's meal.
Yah that’s a great idea... one of mine is 10 as well, and the more I’ve researched the menus, I’ve decided I’ll just have them split the one adult QS at some locations and then use multiple child’s QS at places that have better choices. As long as Disney doesn’t start specifying who is ordering we’ll be fine!

The kids meals aren't all that bad. I'm an adult and often order them. I sure as heck am not ordering PB&J or Mac and Cheese.

Be our Guest has a good variety
CHH has fish and Chicken Meal, A salad with Chicken
Peco Bills has Rice Bowls and Nachos

And that is just Magic Kingdom...

I asked Disney this question and was told that my son could still use a child’s QS credit for a kids meal plus choose any speciality beverage instead on the milk etc. I used Woodys Lunch Box as an example and they confirmed he could have the mystic portal punch even though it is not specifically on the child’s menu. It also says the same on their website in the moms panel FAQ but it won’t let me post the link. I’d be interested to know peoples experiences who have actually tried to do this. I can see it being inconsistent.

I asked Disney this question and was told that my son could still use a child’s QS credit for a kids meal plus choose any speciality beverage instead on the milk etc. I used Woodys Lunch Box as an example and they confirmed he could have the mystic portal punch even though it is not specifically on the child’s menu. It also says the same on their website in the moms panel FAQ but it won’t let me post the link. I’d be interested to know peoples experiences who have actually tried to do this. I can see it being inconsistent.

This made me curious, so I went to look at the menus on Disney's site. Woody's menu actually states "choice of beverage" in the kid's menu section. However, all the other QS places at HS say "small milk or small bottle of water" in the description. (ABC Commissary has some that say choice and some that list, so that's weird.) So I'm wondering if the inconsistency is in how the restaurants have defined their kid's meals. I do know it also depends on how Disney reimburses the restaurant. Do they only reimburse the $6-8 for the meal or do they give more if the kids choose the more expensive specialty drink? Who knows??

Perhaps a rubbish example to use then! Their email did state speciality beverages at all locations subject to availability.

This is the text from the Disney website moms panel. It’s dated January 25th 2020 so after the changes...

Yes, any and every guest utilizing a Disney Dining Plan is eligible to upgrade their standard meal beverage (soda, coffee, milk, juice, etc) to a premium Specialty Beverage (milkshake, smoothie, premium hot chocolate, etc), where available. This means even the youngest Mouseketeers in your group! Some of my favorite upgraded options at Disney’s various dining locations are the Peanut Butter & Jelly Milkshake from 50's Prime Time Cafe, the Strawberry Lemonade Slushy (found at multiple locations), Moof Juice from Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo, a Frozen Flamingo at Harambe Market, Pandoran Sunrise at Satu'li Canteen, and a Root Beer Float from Woody's Lunch Box. And the points for the location with the most options of shakes and floats goes to D-Luxe Burger in Disney Springs, currently with 11!

This made me curious, so I went to look at the menus on Disney's site. Woody's menu actually states "choice of beverage" in the kid's menu section. However, all the other QS places at HS say "small milk or small bottle of water" in the description. (ABC Commissary has some that say choice and some that list, so that's weird.) So I'm wondering if the inconsistency is in how the restaurants have defined their kid's meals. I do know it also depends on how Disney reimburses the restaurant. Do they only reimburse the $6-8 for the meal or do they give more if the kids choose the more expensive specialty drink? Who knows??
Beverages are listed separately to ‘speciality beverages’ so I think it means choice from the first category only.

Beverages are listed separately to ‘speciality beverages’ so I think it means choice from the first category only.

But the DDPs specifically state that EVERYONE is allowed a specialty beverage, so it should be the same for adults and kids. The adults are allowed to pick from the specialty section, so why not the kids IF their menu item states "choice of beverage."?

As far as what you can get with DDP (kids included) it varies greatly around the property.

Some places have a decent selection for children beyond nuggets but it's not easy and helps to look at menus and plan ahead. Also, CMs at some places are very gracious and generous explaining (and allowing) options to swap components and making the most to personalize your credit. It depends though.

You can try making a board asking for favorite/best kids meals on the 2020 DDP and what they were able to get with their credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!