Driving from Ottawa - which route is better I81 or I79 & I77 to I95?

We Love the 81, 66, 17, 95 route! Drive it every time! Well worth it for us to avoid DC!

We take an envelope with "gas cash", we generally take about 400$ for both directions! (Never end up using all of it!) My credit card was compromised in the states a few years ago at a gas station so I am weary using it!

Enjoy your drive it's beautiful!

Canadian credit cards often don't work in US gas pumps since you need a zip code so make sure you have cash for gas and don't fill up too late.

To get your credit card to work at US gas pumps simply enter the three #'s from your postal code followed by two zeros when prompted for a zip code. (ie Y2B 6H8 becomes 26800). BMO recommended this to me when I mentioned a problem with the gas pumps in the States and it has worked so far any time we've used it.

To get your credit card to work at US gas pumps simply enter the three #'s from your postal code followed by two zeros when prompted for a zip code. (ie Y2B 6H8 becomes 26800). BMO recommended this to me when I mentioned a problem with the gas pumps in the States and it has worked so far any time we've used it.

Wish I'd known this before we went! We ran into this problem and it was a PIA!

OP, for the hotel coupon booklets, you don't even need to go into the tourist stations. They're all available online at www.hotelcoupons.com. You can access them on your phone.

We live in Montreal and our choices are I89-I95 or I81. When we go to FL in the summer we ALWAYS choose I81. This spring break we left on February 25th and it was supposed to snow/rain/sleet so we took I89-I95 instead to avoid mountains as much as possible since we didn't have our snow tires on. Wasn't a big fan of this route (30$ of toll in NY, NJ, MD) and there was more traffic even driving at night in those states. To come back we took the I81 and crossed at 1000islands customs. As for DC areas this is what we have done in the past:

I81-I77-I26-I95: great view but will make sure I do the I77 during the day and not at night (we drive straight-thru so take that in consideration when planning). Hit a lot of traffic north of Charlotte (Lake Norman area). As bad if not worst than Mtl traffic during afternoon rush hour.

I81-I64-I95: Want to do that one again but during the day. The area close to Charlottesville has beautiful views!

I81-15-I95: took highway 15 at night and we were pleasantly surprised. This is now our favourite route when we are in this area at night.

I4 is the worst for traffic. We now have a Sunpass and last time we drove down the 417 from Sanford to Celebration to avoid the traffic and it was worth every penny.

Thx a mint for the tips and feedback all - much appreciated - so excited to be set for this trip now!

cheers,
:)

Canadian credit cards often don't work in US gas pumps since you need a zip code so make sure you have cash for gas and don't fill up too late.

Just an FYI if you put 00 at the end of the numbers of your postal code then a Canadian CC will work at the Gas Pumps.
Example: K2W 0A2 is my postal code. I enter 20200 at the gas pumps as a Zip code. I have used my CC in quite a few Eastern States along with Nevada and California with no issues.

Most Major Gas station have the prompt for the zip code.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...t-us-pumps-with-credit-again/article13463053/

Just an FYI if you put 00 at the end of the numbers of your postal code then a Canadian CC will work at the Gas Pumps.
Example: K2W 0A2 is my postal code. I enter 20200 at the gas pumps as a Zip code. I have used my CC in quite a few Eastern States along with Nevada and California with no issues.

Most Major Gas station have the prompt for the zip code.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...t-us-pumps-with-credit-again/article13463053/

Some CC requires to add 01 instead of 00 so try 00 first and if it's not woking try 01. Worked for us 100% of the times so far.

And just to clarify the 17 and 15 are the same route for a stretch but I believe it's 17 you want to follow out to 95 as 15 goes south to 64 which is I suppose another option.

In fact the 15 and 17 is also the 50 if you pick it up at winchester but I recommend taking 81 to 66 first since the part near winchester is not twinned and is a notorious speed trap per my last hotel

Lots of historical places in that general area like Boonsboro and of course Gettysburg if you start way back on 15 out of harrisburg

I still would suggest avoiding I-95 through downtown Jacksonville with a camper. Was comparing notes with a firefighter friend after our recent school break. He was towing a largish boat trailer with a van through all that construction with transport trucks all around. Pretty much has to stop for a fresh underwear change when he got through it all; and we're talking a guy who runs into burning buildings for a living. Jax Beaches bypass is a much calmer drive, at least until they complete all that road construction.

ETA - adding 01 to the end of my post code numbers worked 100% of the time this trip, including stations that rejected on past trips when I was trying 00. I think the real trick is to look up your fake zip on the USPS site before you go and see if it is really a valid US zip code. I found out 17100 was not valid.

Good to know re Jacksonville. When I drove through in January there was no construction but maybe they hadn't started or were still on break. I have heard other people mention it. Guess I will find out for myself this summer

ETA - adding 01 to the end of my post code numbers worked 100% of the time this trip, including stations that rejected on past trips when I was trying 00. I think the real trick is to look up your fake zip on the USPS site before you go and see if it is really a valid US zip code. I found out 17100 was not valid.

Just tried this and 00 added onto my postal code didn't come up as a valid location but adding 01 did. We had no trouble with 00 last year on holiday but good to know we have a backup in case we need it.

And just to clarify the 17 and 15 are the same route for a stretch but I believe it's 17 you want to follow out to 95 as 15 goes south to 64 which is I suppose another option.

In fact the 15 and 17 is also the 50 if you pick it up at winchester but I recommend taking 81 to 66 first since the part near winchester is not twinned and is a notorious speed trap per my last hotel

Lots of historical places in that general area like Boonsboro and of course Gettysburg if you start way back on 15 out of harrisburg

I was sleeping when DH left the I95 for the 15 (on our way back) but I believe he took I64 then 15 all the way to Harrisburg and he said it was what our brand new GPS suggested. He also said he would take that option again.

Hi - I'm new to this board but I saw your post and I thought I'd offer my thoughts

I just did this drive over the holidays, driving down from Kanata on Dec 22 - we left at 3pm and even though I had a number of options, we made it to the preferred place which was south of Harrisburg on day 1. You really want to get as far as possible on day 1 because it makes day 2 easier. Plus everyone is excited on day 1 so the hours go by fast.

Anyways, here is a list of my suggestions based on mine experience and those of some friends who have been doing this from Ottawa down to Sunshine land over the years:

Load Navigator on your tablet and maps of each state and province you go through. That way your gps gives you a great nav system AND it shows miles per hour if you don't have them, and tells you if you are speeding. Basically free US nav system without any data plan needed! Great idea

Don't book any hotels in advance. You don't want to be tied down to getting anywhere. Each state has a visitor centre where you can get hotel booklets which give you rates for each - usually they will honour. Seems like you always get a better deal than online. And you can stop when you feel like it

Directions:

From Ottawa - don't cross at Ogdensburg! In winter the US side is dicey and in summer its full on Mennonite carriages. Country road. Instead, use the 401 on the Canadian side and cross at Thousand Islands. This is a big time saver

Empire State: Pick up the 81 and just get through NY State. Don't take the 481 ring road bypass at Syracuse - all the locals live on it so the 81 expresses you through the place much faster

Crossing into Pennsylvania, the KeyStone State, prepare for fog through Wilkes Barre area - can get very bad. No matter what time of year. If its winter, once you are through here you are generally clear of the bad weather!

Stay on 81 past Harrisburg. Now you are faced with the big 'Washington DC' question. Yes its true DC has tremendously heavy traffic and Maryland can be a bit daunting, especially if you are more used to Ottawa traffic. You don't want to go anywhere near the Baltimore-DC Beltway if you can avoid it (too bad all you Maritimers/Newfies that get struck here). DC traffic is really bad on the 95 south but it breaks up significantly around Fredericksburg so the key is to come through there.

There are 2 great options:
Stay on 81 until you pick up the i64 and come through Charlottesville and then on to the i95 at Richmond

or

My preferred: on 81 south of Winchester get the i66 over to Marshall where you pick up the #17 (which is the same as #15 for a stretch) which brings you out at Fredericksburg where you get the old i95. This is all twinned but watch your speed. Easy driving and saves 40min over the Charlottesville route.

Now take i95 to sunshine. Do take the 295 ring road bypass around Richmond - will normally save time

Stay on i95 through Jacksonville - the 295 bypass either way is where the locals live.

Also, the first tourist bureau in Florida - go in and get your free orange juice/grapefruit juice - nothing taste better and good washrooms there, maps and attraction brochures to keep kids entertained for the final leg

After that, I head to Miami so no so much help re drive to Orlando

Do get CAA - it becomes AAA in US which is huge relief if you have problems and sometimes gets you extra discounts.

Have fun! Its a great road trip - its cool when you first notice palm trees and when you ponder what they mean by 'American Cheese'

I've done the I81-I66-17-I95 route from Ottawa twice and I am planning to use it again this summer. I usually start from Ottawa around 5am and can make it to Fredericksburg KOA by evening. I tow a 30' travel trailer with a truck close to its weight limits, and I have never had an issue with any of the inclines.

So we are in Hardeeville tonight on our way to the world tomorrow. We tried the 15 route and it was awful. Hubby and I both agreed that we much prefer 81, taking 70 at Hagerstown, 270, and 495 around DC and 95 to 4.

Hi - I'm new to this board but I saw your post and I thought I'd offer my thoughts

I just did this drive over the holidays, driving down from Kanata on Dec 22 - we left at 3pm and even though I had a number of options, we made it to the preferred place which was south of Harrisburg on day 1. You really want to get as far as possible on day 1 because it makes day 2 easier. Plus everyone is excited on day 1 so the hours go by fast.

Anyways, here is a list of my suggestions based on mine experience and those of some friends who have been doing this from Ottawa down to Sunshine land over the years:

Load Navigator on your tablet and maps of each state and province you go through. That way your gps gives you a great nav system AND it shows miles per hour if you don't have them, and tells you if you are speeding. Basically free US nav system without any data plan needed! Great idea

Don't book any hotels in advance. You don't want to be tied down to getting anywhere. Each state has a visitor centre where you can get hotel booklets which give you rates for each - usually they will honour. Seems like you always get a better deal than online. And you can stop when you feel like it

Directions:

From Ottawa - don't cross at Ogdensburg! In winter the US side is dicey and in summer its full on Mennonite carriages. Country road. Instead, use the 401 on the Canadian side and cross at Thousand Islands. This is a big time saver

Empire State: Pick up the 81 and just get through NY State. Don't take the 481 ring road bypass at Syracuse - all the locals live on it so the 81 expresses you through the place much faster

Crossing into Pennsylvania, the KeyStone State, prepare for fog through Wilkes Barre area - can get very bad. No matter what time of year. If its winter, once you are through here you are generally clear of the bad weather!

Stay on 81 past Harrisburg. Now you are faced with the big 'Washington DC' question. Yes its true DC has tremendously heavy traffic and Maryland can be a bit daunting, especially if you are more used to Ottawa traffic. You don't want to go anywhere near the Baltimore-DC Beltway if you can avoid it (too bad all you Maritimers/Newfies that get struck here). DC traffic is really bad on the 95 south but it breaks up significantly around Fredericksburg so the key is to come through there.

There are 2 great options:
Stay on 81 until you pick up the i64 and come through Charlottesville and then on to the i95 at Richmond

or

My preferred: on 81 south of Winchester get the i66 over to Marshall where you pick up the #17 (which is the same as #15 for a stretch) which brings you out at Fredericksburg where you get the old i95. This is all twinned but watch your speed. Easy driving and saves 40min over the Charlottesville route.

Now take i95 to sunshine. Do take the 295 ring road bypass around Richmond - will normally save time

Stay on i95 through Jacksonville - the 295 bypass either way is where the locals live.

Also, the first tourist bureau in Florida - go in and get your free orange juice/grapefruit juice - nothing taste better and good washrooms there, maps and attraction brochures to keep kids entertained for the final leg

After that, I head to Miami so no so much help re drive to Orlando

Do get CAA - it becomes AAA in US which is huge relief if you have problems and sometimes gets you extra discounts.

Have fun! Its a great road trip - its cool when you first notice palm trees and when you ponder what they mean by 'American Cheese'
Canadian credit cards do work at the US gas pumps . . We do it all the time. For the zip code enter the #’s from your postal code and then add 2 zero’s on to the end. eg if your postal code is N6G 4S8 then you would enter 64800

Canadian credit cards do work at the US gas pumps . . We do it all the time. For the zip code enter the #’s from your postal code and then add 2 zero’s on to the end. eg if your postal code is N6G 4S8 then you would enter 64800
True, this works well now, but back when this thread was active in 2016 (zombie) it did not work as reliably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!