• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from the Philly area to HH

Ocallaghmp

Earning My Ears
We are leaving tomorrow morning driving to HHI from the Philadelphia area. This is our first time driving so we need some help from DVC driving veterans. Is it better to take I95 through Baltimore and Washington or to take the Cheseapeake Bridge? We will be leaving at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, so hopefully traffic won't be an issue.
Patty

Take 95.... You should be in HH in approximately 13 hours from your start. (Based on WDW trips...have not yet visited HH)

Definitely take I-95 through Wilmington/Baltimore, using the Ft. McHenry tunnel. We alway drive (DH afraid to fly) so we do this trip with our eye closed! We live in Bucks County, and it is approx. 12 hrs., allowing for traffic, etc. DH goes to bed real late the night before, gets up early, putters around house, and then goes back to bed and sleeps as long as possible and we leave around 8pm. Drive through the night with sandwiches, soda and coffee in the car, and stop for breakfast at Cracker Barrel on HHI, right next to DVC. Use SC exit #8 to 278E and take the Wm. Hilton Parkway - DO NOT TAKE the toll road. It's really just a matter of staying on the road 278. Last time we were there they were working on 278 and there was a small detour, but it is quite straight forward. Night driving really works for us because there is no traffic in Philly, Wash., etc. Also, use the Richmond by-pass - it says 295S to Rocky Mount, and I believe it is a left hand exit lane off of I-95. Please feel free to write back with any questions before tomorrow. Have a fabulous trip. We have to wait until Labor Day!! :)

Thanks for posting this, as this is hopefully going to be us next May!!!:D :D :D

I have heard from numerous people the way to do this drive or the drive to WDW is to do the night drive!! We will be traveling with our son who will then be 2 1/2!!

Having read so much great stuff about HH on these boards I can't wait to go there!!!

Have a great & safe trip!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Lisa, Patrick & Matthew

Hi Neighbor!! :wave: Which is your home? HH? We are at both HH & OKW. Hope your next trip is great. We are in OKW 8/26-31 and HH 9/2-4 - can't wait!!

If you leaving at 5am (the time we always have left) you may have heavy traffic around DC. They are heading for the local beaches on SAT.

A few years ago, there was a lot of construction. On advice a DVCer in DE, I exited I95 in DE, traveled 896 South to 301 south, then joined I95 again south of DC.
It was a pleasent ride. We came home the same way twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter