Driving from Vancouver to Disney with big trailer, down the Oregon Coast into California

speedyreb

Earning My Ears
Just wondering if anyone has advice on which way is the best way to go when pulling a big 5th wheel after you get thru the Redwoods heading south towards Disneyland? Our plan is to take Hwy 101 south, to somewhere north of Santa Rosa then maybe go east onto the I5 then onto Disneyland? What is the best Hwy to go across to the I5? Is this the best route or should we take another Hwy into LA, there are so many choices and I have no clue! Thanx

You should take 580 to I5. Unless you have time to go all the way down 101. It'll take an extra hour but it's more scenic.

I'd recommend going across the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge (I-580). Here's kind of a sample using two prominent businesses in Santa Rosa and on I-5:

https://goo.gl/maps/F3SS59MUP2B2

You might get a recommendation to go through San Francisco to Oakland, but there's no freeway from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Bay Bridge. Having driven there recently, it could get interesting with a large trailer. Also - 101 isn't going to be fun with a trailer either, because the general way to get there is Lombard Street (not the crooked part) and Van Ness Ave, which are technically part of US-101. It's not that bad as far as surfaces streets go though. It's basically a single 90 degree right turn, but the traffic can be pretty brutal.

What's you're biggest concern? Depending on time of day and the possibility of traffic, road construction, or accidents, it can get pretty nasty at times. Some of the alternate paths might involve CA-37, although that's more like an undivided high-speed highway. What time of day were you thinking? It could get really bad in Marin County if you're there during the weekday commute to San Francisco, although it gets better once you're on I-580. Then you might want to avoid I-580 if you're there during the afternoon/evening commute from San Francisco.

Good point about 101 through S.F. When I said it takes about an hour more to go 101 than 5, I assumed taking 880 or 680 through the Bay Area, not 101.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!