Driving I75

Kails87

Earning My Ears
We are driving down to Disney on December 28. We will plan to leave at 3 or 4 am and are coming from the Guelph area, and I think that the I75 route makes the most sense for us. Most people seem to go through West Virginia/Charlotte. We drove a few years ago and went down that way but came home the I75 and found the I75 to be more efficient and an easier drive. So any advice for taking the I75 down? Realistically where can we drive to on that first day? I would rather do a long first day and hopefully not be too late on arrival the second day. But we also have a 2 and 4 year old in the car with us.

Last edited:
Where will you enter the US at? 75 southbound just south of Detroit is shut down so budget time for it

Where will you enter the US at? 75 southbound just south of Detroit is shut down so budget time for it
I think that we can go through Sarnia, but still have to go through Detroit so I'm not sure how much extra time that will take.

I live in Windsor and have dealt with the I-75 closure for awhile. We went to Cedar Point on a Sunday about 45 days ago. The I-75 closure added around 30 minutes.

I would go through the border from Windsor and not Sarnia. I would plan on hitting the border by 6:45am during the week. It would help with the border crossing and getting thru the detour before work traffic picks up.

Actually I would go through Walpole and take the Ferry into Algonac, crossing will be waaaaaay faster

We are not far from you. When we drive we go through Fort Erie and sleep over in Beckley WV. That's not a bad first day but a good 10-12 hours the second day. Some friends of ours always use I75 and like to sleep in Atlanta so their second day is not very long. Guess it depends on your preference. Either way seems fine just as long as you remember to set your cruise control to the GPS when going through Georgia LOL

I think that we can go through Sarnia, but still have to go through Detroit so I'm not sure how much extra time that will take.
If you’re going through Sarnia, head down 94 and take 696 across to 275(?) towards the airport. This should bypass the majority of the traffic

We've driven the I75 from London to Disney each March for the past 6 years. During the winter season, the I75 is usually free of snow in March when we get south of Wapakoneta Ohio. Winter time can have unpredictable weather, so we've always avoided the West Virginia route so that we aren't stuck in the mountainous terrain in a snow storm.

I will echo the comments about the I75 being closed southbound in the Detroit area. Be sure to research the closure and possibly set your GPS in advance so that it avoids the area. We've been caught up in that closure and ended up driving down some shady areas in Detroit when we missed the detour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter