Driving options - Toronto to WDW in Jan/Feb

jaysue

DIS Veteran
Hi all, wondering if people could chime in with opinions on driving from Toronto to WDW in Jan/Feb

Is the better way to go down I-75 route via Michigan or I-90/79/etc....via New York (Buffalo)

I will be driving down our Montana minivan (FWD not AWD)

That pesky Lake Erie.........if it wasn't in the way - ;)

Thanks in advance
Jason

We've made the drive a few times in January. We always take I75, so I can't comment on the other route. We only hit snow once for about an hour, we've been lucky. Get the book along I75 if that's the way you are going to go, it's amazing.

We are near Kitchener so I'm sure your starting point will also influence your decision. Others have driven so I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on both routes.

last year when we went CAA told us I-75 was the preferred route for winter driving. They said the mountains further east (other route) gets more snow so the chance of delays is greater due to bad weather.

We've driven down to WDW from Toronto 4 times in the past 2 years, but unfortunately, none of those trips were during the winter months (1 June, 2 Octobers/Novembers, and 1 April trip)... but we've always driven the QEW/I90/I79/US19/I77/I26/I95/I4 route through NY, PA, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA to FL. (Do you sense I can practically drive the route in my sleep?) :smooth:

I can see where it could definitely be difficult during the winter through the mountains in WV and around Lake Erie (can you say "lake effect???") and I can certainly understand why CAA recommends the western "curve" route during that time of year. Yes, if Lakes Ontario & Erie weren't in the way, it'd be a straight shot south from Toronto! :rolleyes:

Have you ever driven either route before yourself? If so, you might just feel more comfortable with the route you're more familiar with (I know that's how we would most likely decide, unless Mother Nature changed our minds at the last minute.)

Depending on how bad a winter North America has next year, you might not have any problems driving the mostly-straight route, and I imagine you'd probably save a bit in gas (although the drive through the mountains would probably burn more fuel than the "flats" would on I75. Of course, you could always plan the second route as your backup, just in case a major snowstorm hits in the days leading up to your trip. (If you're making reservations for stopovers, most hotels will allow you to cancel up until 4 or later in the afternoon of your check-in day, at least that's what we've found to be the norm.)

If you do decide to take the I75 route, definitely pick up the "Along I75" book, as Tracey suggested; (the guy who wrote it lives in Mississauga)... we bought both it and another book highlighting the 401 & I75 in case we ever take that route, but we like "Along I75" *SO* much better... the maps in the other book were in black and white, and there was advertising on every page, or so it seemed... the colour book is just so much easier to read and understand. (I keep thinking that I should write a similar map book for our normal route, but WOW the amount of time it would take for the research!) :earseek:

I hope that this helps... if you haven't ever driven either route before, let me know and I can at least fill you in on what you can expect (stopovers, cities, stuff like that what to expect, as opposed to weather-wise!) along the route we normally take.

Good luck making up your mind!

Sandy (and Brian, Bonnie & Kellie!)

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

We've driven down to WDW in Jan/Feb/Mar time frame a couple of times over the years and will probably do it again in 2004. We always drive the I-75 route even at other times of the year because of it's ease. You get on the I-75 at Detroit and leave it only when you are in Florida. We have never run into bad snowy weather on that route even though one year that we drove it (I can't remember when) the I-79etc route was closed because of snow.

If you drive I-75 then definately buy Dave Hunter's book. It is absolutely the best book for that route as it describes what gas, food and lodging is at each exit along the way. He also has lots of interesting facts about the route as well. It's updated every year around October.

Cdnmickeylover

In those months I-75 is the way to go. We just returned and took I-95 which was a beautiful drive but I have heard many horror stories of this route in the winter. Between the curving mountains, lots of fog, snow and ice you never know which delay you might encounter. Both my sister and sister in-law have driven this route in the winter and my sister ended up stranded in the fog for 6 hours and my sister in-law hit an ice storm thet had a fallen tree blocking the road and had to get a motel for the night.

I agree with bsbkmacgowan...definitely do not do the QEW/I90/I79/US19/I77/I26/I95/I4 route in the winter. Although the view is breathtaking in spots, the mountains would be brutal in the snow. It's my favourite route because it's so lovely and there are very few trucks...for a reason...they can't get up all the hills very easily.

From what I've read, I75 is the route to go. I'd like to try that route next time (although nobody wants to drive to WDW again except me :() just for a change of scenery. We've done I81/95 (2x) & the above route (2X) so that one would be a nice change. I love the drive to WDW...anyone want to drive down with me next time ;) ;)

I went to the CAA the other day to pick up some guide books and the lady there told us that they recommend people take the I79/19/I77/I26/I95/I4(told her this would be in December)I guess when we get those Trip tiks I had better have a plan A and B just in case of the weather(we were looking for the shortest route as it will be only DH driving and this route shaves off a few hundred KM's)

We always take the I-75 down for our winter and March Break trips. It's actually quite fun with the Along the I-75 book because it explains what you are seeing along the way. Only once have we hit a snow storm and that was early January 2002. It hit during our overnight stop in Knoxville. It was scary for me but Dh seemed to take it in stride as we made our way through the unplowed highway and stranded cars. I wouldn't want to have driven through that on the I-95! So far we haven't tried the I-95 for our "better weather" trips down to Florida but we have gone the I-79/19/I-77 routes down to Myrtle Beach in the summer and that is a pretty drive.

Lisa, I'll be glad to drive down with you next time. Then I wouldn't have to take the bus! ;) ;) ;) ;)

OK Julie...we could do an "Old Canadian DIS Ladies" trip to WDW...no kids :) my van holds 7 ;) :teeth: ...oops...guess we need some room for luggage...well we could strap it on the roof and if someone ticks us off - exchange their place in the van with the luggage :teeth: :teeth: Can you just imagine it ;)

LOL, Lisa! You know I was dreaming about a "Disney Babes" trip down to Disney the other night. We could get a villa between us all. Wouldn't we have a ball! We could pack extra light and then go on a shopping spree at Orlando Premium Outlet mall!

OK...I'm in :teeth: ...no whining about sore throats & needing something to soothe it like a smoothie though...that I have to pay for! ;)

Thanks for the opinions so far and glad to have stimulated another thread.....if anyone needs a lift let me know ;)

:earseek:

Thanks
Jason

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter