Driving Thread- Tell me I'm not crazy - Pump me up for the drive !

Hey, there

Hi there, How is driving once you cross the border and especially Orlando. Do you find the driving easy. What about the rules are they similar to Ontario. OOPs sorry just realized you are from Alberta, I haven't driven there yet.

Driving in America is almost virtually the exact same as driving in Canada, save for the miles per hour rather than kilometres. Some newer vehicles with digital displays actually allow you to switch your display to miles.

Americans also (in my opinion) are far better at not using the left lane to drive in, but rather for passing only. Whereas Canadians seem to ride that lane like they own it. Some of them also don’t give a s$&t about the speed limits, so don’t get caught up in that:

Driving in America is almost virtually the exact same as driving in Canada, save for the miles per hour rather than kilometres. Some newer vehicles with digital displays actually allow you to switch your display to miles.

Americans also (in my opinion) are far better at not using the left lane to drive in, but rather for passing only. Whereas Canadians seem to ride that lane like they own it. Some of them also don’t give a s$&t about the speed limits, so don’t get caught up in that:
Do you find it crazy around the parks given that a high percentage of the drivers are probably all tourists. That is the area I am concerned the most about.

Will be driving to and from Airport and around Kissimmee so am trying to read up on all that I can about the rules and common driving practices.

Do you find it crazy around the parks given that a high percentage of the drivers are probably all tourists. That is the area I am concerned the most about.

I’ve only ever encountered traffic around the parks one time. This will be my fourth drive down next week.
Otherwise in my experience the highways around are pretty smooth sailing.

Good to know, it will be our first time driving in U.S. and Theme Parks can be crazy.

Will be driving to and from Airport and around Kissimmee so am trying to read up on all that I can about the rules and common driving practices.
This webpage might help.

From that page, I think these ones are probably the non-obvious rules that we as visitors should know.
- In Florida, it is perfectly legal to turn right at a red traffic light provided there is no traffic coming or a sign telling you otherwise.
- The driver and front seat passenger must wear seat belts, and every passenger in the vehicle under the age of 18 must be restrained by a safety belt or by a child restraint device, regardless of seating position.
- Florida law requires all children 5 years of age or younger be restrained in a proper child restraint system.
- Florida’s “Move Over Act," passed in 2002, requires drivers to move over to the next lane or slow down to at least 20 miles below the posted speed limit when approaching emergency vehicles that are stopped on interstates or other highways.
- Beware of Florida's red light cameras at major intersections. Snapshots of red light runners are reviewed by law enforcement and citations issued via mail.

This webpage might help.

From that page, I think these ones are probably the non-obvious rules that we as visitors should know.
- In Florida, it is perfectly legal to turn right at a red traffic light provided there is no traffic coming or a sign telling you otherwise.
- The driver and front seat passenger must wear seat belts, and every passenger in the vehicle under the age of 18 must be restrained by a safety belt or by a child restraint device, regardless of seating position.
- Florida law requires all children 5 years of age or younger be restrained in a proper child restraint system.
- Florida’s “Move Over Act," passed in 2002, requires drivers to move over to the next lane or slow down to at least 20 miles below the posted speed limit when approaching emergency vehicles that are stopped on interstates or other highways.
- Beware of Florida's red light cameras at major intersections. Snapshots of red light runners are reviewed by law enforcement and citations issued via mail.
So it is similar to Ontario, but what about the left turns, in T.O we pull up halfway thru while it is green and proceed during yellow or flashing light.

I'll see what I can find, but it's probably going to be in the same ballpark as what we do in Toronto. No "Michigan lefts" or anything of that nature.
Hmmm, I think when I was on google maps it showed a few of those from my hotel. Except they just said make a U turn, but if they have special cutaways for that great.

This is trip no. 8 for me, but first time that I am the driver. I worry about it being badly lit at nite. You know, when you drive in Toronto and even Scarberia you could basically do it with daytime running lights.

This is trip no. 8 for me, but first time that I am the driver. I worry about it being badly lit at nite. You know, when you drive in Toronto and even Scarberia you could basically do it with daytime running lights.
Quick question for you, are you staying on-site? If so are you aware that Disney is charging for parking at resorts now (depending on when you booked, this part is a tad confusing)? Just wondering if perhaps you might be more comfortable using a car/uber for any of the times you need a car, you shouldn't be stressing this much over your holiday already!!

We've been going to Disney for a very long time and i can say that the signage has improved & lighting is better .. HOWEVER, the roads are big, lots of lanes around the theme parks and constant ongoing construction that can be quite confusing. The potential does exist to simply end up on a thruway. We drive in the TO area a fair bit and understand what you're asking --- and YES, you can end up in sections that are dark and confusing.

I also noticed you mentioned that you think YYZ is a fair trek for your home ... sure hope you're not driving from MCO cause that is even more confusing and fairly long. I don't want to scare you but just trying to be sure you have the info you need.

Not worried about the airport drive it is in the morning both ways. Driving in T.O is no biggie, what have we got 12 lanes I think, live here and have to cross the 401 constantly YYZ can be a hike because of rush hour or airport traffic, do it quite a lot actually as I am the designated picker upper. It is the rural kind of driving that gets me. Put me in the city I am okay out in the country somewhere new kind of freaky, glad to hear the signage has gotten better it was not great in the 90s.

Hey all we have just gotten back and I wanted to write to agai thank you all for the input and write a quick report on the drive.

Agai leaving from Niagara falls Canada, me, wife, 1.5 year old.

The drive down went exactly as I'd planned, minus 2 hours or sleep. Stayed up til 6:30 am Friday, but instead of sleeping until 4 I got a call at 2pm from my day care provider asking to bath my son because he had a blow out ... lol. What a way to start a travel day.

Anyway left at 7:30pm, drove through the night, it was awesome to be honest at times I was the only dat I could see on the road especially through the mountains. Stopped for had at midnight and again at 6:30 am, made amazing time. We ended up checking in to out resort (POR for one night to start) at 4pm. I drove 5mph over (or more if other cars were doing so) the whole time EXCEPT on 19 !!!!!

Guys, THANK YOU so much for the warnings about 19. That changes speeds so many times and gosh damn the cops are waiting hidden in the gap between the north and south bound lanes, often in dark pockets after intersections just WAITING. Seriously there were more police on the southern half of 19 than the entire rest of the drive.

I was actually surprised how fast I was going at points, like in PA, because I had heard that US police were so hard on speeding. But I have a general rule: if the locals (people with state license plates) are flying by you .... speed up. Never be the fastest on the road, but be like in the 75th %. So yea i often found myself in PA, Georgia, Florida doing 10 - 15 over the limit and still getting passed.

I caught a couple zzzzz in the morning after my wife woke up. Enough to get me through to 11pm Saturday night and get me back on a regular schedule.

Drive back reaffirmed how smart a choice it was to drive through the night with an 18 month old. He was GOOD, really, we had a tablet with movies set up for him and stuff ... but there is only so much he can take strapped into that car seat. We had to split the drive back and the last 30 mins he just cried, actually sad sad cried. Not just fussy 18 month old. He was SAD. It was heartbreaking .. but thankfully short lived.

Drive back, left at 12:30 Friday afternoon.. wanted to stay longer but basically asked yourself how much 4 more hours in MK meant vs getting 4 more hours of driving in ... keep in mind we were there for 2 weeks, the value of those 4 hours differs if you are there a shorter period. Drove to Hamptonville NC, made a couple stops along the way to let the little man stretch and run, checked in at 11pm. Intended to get up and leave at like 6 or 7 .... woke up at 8:30 Yea, so, got moving quick and headed out around 9am.

Again had to make a couple stops but tried to keep them as short as possible, got in at 7:30pm.

So trip down 20.5 hours with a few stops Saturday day, decently long stops at that. Return trip: 20.45 hours but only short stops and broken over two days.

Trip down left Friday night checked in Sat afternoon. Return left Friday at lunch didnt get home til Saturday night. Despite that both trips look like total car time was similar, the trip down we took more than an hour for breakfast, just ran out side playing and total time fro. Departure to check in was 20.5 hours. Return trip we kept breaks to a minimum, stopped to sleep, still similar road time but total trip time 30.5 hours and we had a VERY unhappy child.

That's our experience. Keep in mind that actual road time down was less than 18 hours (including the absolute mess of i4) So IF you can keep stops to a minimum with food and entertainment in car ... you could do this in under 20 hours easily.

But I wanted to thank you all for the insight and advice !

Thanks for the update. Helpful for those that are thinking one way or the other. Hope the rest of the trip was great.

“Blow out” - I was so glad when my kids passed that phase. I have a good laugh at my brother’s expense as he’s hit that phase with his son.

Thanks for the info about the freeways. 75th percentile sounds like a good rule of thumb. Except on 19, of course.

Thanks again guys for all the awesome information on driving down! We are leaving in less than 2 weeks and I’m getting nervous! For those of you talking about the speed traps on I-19, where is that exactly? West Virginia? I am looking at our route and it seems that we are using 79 for almost all of it.... but I-19 runs alongside it??? I am not planning on speeding at all over 5mph, but I need to know where to be overly cautious! Please help! Thanks

Cheryl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter