Driving to WDW from the GTA: our tried and tested itinerary

There is a spot on the I79 just after Morgantown where people often take the I 19 to avoid going into Charleston. It's from near Sutton to just north of Beckley. It cuts off a few hours, if I remember correctly, however the CAA continues to warn that there are speed traps there.

Back in 1997, we got a ticket at the bottom of a hill, because the speed limit changed at halfway down the hill. Of course, if you're coming down a hill, most people aren't religiously riding their brakes, so it was a sudden speed change with a patrol car and a radar gun just waiting for those who missed it. We've gone that route many times since and the area is more built up, so maybe speeding is more difficult. We've never had a problem since, but we watch very carefully for speed limit changes and adjust accordingly, even if people are passing us.

But that's the only area where we really take pointed care. My DH doesn't speed much, maybe, like others have said, 5 over, or maybe not. But on the I 19, we make sure we're not even a mile over. Just in case.

I remember the old rhyme that the Police like to tell you in the states....."8 is great, 9 you're mine"

So another question I have here is travel speed. I tend to drive a little bit over the speed limit on highways (no real rhyme or reason for it) so I want to ensure that my usual speed isn't at a point where I might get pulled over.

I feel that when you're in the cities you can safely travel at the speed of traffic. Whether that's 30mph under or 10mph over, there's a buffer of protection as cops are more concerned with the dangerous drivers than those that "go with the flow", as it were. But it's those "in between" points I'm concerned about, since you're not exactly in a pack of cars going at the same pace.

What speeds does everyone stick with during those times? For example, I've done I90 between Buffalo and Cleveland a few times, and 5-10mph over seems to be a non-issue. I75 in Ohio has been the same. Any thoughts on some known speed trap hot spots along the I75 or I77/79 routes?

Going through Summersville WV and in several areas along highway 19 is definitely a hot spot. Don't go more than a couple of miles over the speed limit.

DH is the sole driver of our 35' Equinox towing Class A MH so I am the navigator figuring in all compatible gas stops on the route about every 400 miles. This year we're going the 77/79 route vs 75 with stops in WV and GA overnight. We leave Oshawa around 5 am to avoid rush hour in Toronto. Except early morning fog in the mountains we don't expect any bad weather on our trip beginning April 19th. Keeping our fingers crossed.

We drive from Ottawa. We've left at 3pm right after work and made it down to Harrisburg Penn on I81. Its always worrisome about the Syracuse corridor with the possibility of lake effect snow and I think its always snowy or foggy through Scranton area. We always feel pleased to put Binghampton behind us - we feel the worst chance of bad weather is now done.

Day 2 I stay on I81 down past Winchester, onto I66, then the 17 which is my fav route around DC, then joining I95 at Fredericksburg. Avoiding DC is the worry for us in Ottawa and Montreal
Then down taking the bypass around Richmond and just giv'er all the way until you see that first palm tree on the middle shoulder in South Carolina. We always love crossing the St Mary's River since we know we are in Florida, then stop and get our juice at the visitor centre.

One year my wife was finishing a degree and they unexpectedly moved her final exam which put us in danger of missing our Disney Cruise. She ended up flying with our little one while I drove myself. I never like to book hotels ahead of time so that I can stop when I want. Well I had no idea there was a big NASCAR even in Scranton so no rooms available in S NY State or N Penn (I left after work). I ended up sleeping my car - first time since I was much younger doing the drive back home to Nova Scotia. My wife an 5 year old meanwhile got bumped to Business Class by Air Canada and were the only ones in the business class. We are always Even Steven! I picked them up in Jacksonville the next day. I had my satellite radio tuned to Margaritaville the whole way and ate a whole bunch of burgers we can't get in Canada. Loved the solo road trip
We all drove back together.
Due to Ontario college strike this year our daughter's teaching semester was extended to include the week we'll be at Fort Wilderness. She and family are flying down and flight changes would have been costly and iffy if a cabin would be available to reschedule. Luckily her Associate Dean approved her absence.

We drive straight from north of Toronto. Takes us between 22-24 hrs depends on traffic and weather. Night time is tough no doubt and I have told my wife that we can pull over at a rest stop and let me rest for 1-2 hrs, but she drives for couple of hours. Then I take over and finish the route.
You must know yourself and how you drive. I have driven to the west coast and only stopped at rest areas for a nap. Some people do need their beds to rest. I can sleep standing so know yourself. Not worth the savings if you dont get there.

I’m good for being the driver six hours straight at a time (with bathroom breaks), and as long as I have a travel pillow I can sleep anywhere. We are hoping to time it that we do the bulk of the night driving when we are still fresh, and build in extra time in case we need it. After posting here I had a chat with DH about my worries. He’s very confident in his own abilities and the way he drives. He has often driven straight through to Orlando, Colorado and the East Coast, so having someone else that will take a turn or two while he naps is actually a bonus for him.

DH is the sole driver of our 35' Equinox towing Class A MH so I am the navigator figuring in all compatible gas stops on the route about every 400 miles. This year we're going the 77/79 route vs 75 with stops in WV and GA overnight. We leave Oshawa around 5 am to avoid rush hour in Toronto. Except early morning fog in the mountains we don't expect any bad weather on our trip beginning April 19th. Keeping our fingers crossed.
You will still get some traffic at 5. Whatever you do don't leave any later. Trust me, I am in it everyday between 5 and 5:30. Thats why when I take off for Florida I split at 3am. By 5:30 you get stop and go from Meadowvalle to the 404 and various other spots after that all the way to at least past the airport.

There is a spot on the I79 just after Morgantown where people often take the I 19 to avoid going into Charleston. It's from near Sutton to just north of Beckley. It cuts off a few hours, if I remember correctly, however the CAA continues to warn that there are speed traps there.

Back in 1997, we got a ticket at the bottom of a hill, because the speed limit changed at halfway down the hill. Of course, if you're coming down a hill, most people aren't religiously riding their brakes, so it was a sudden speed change with a patrol car and a radar gun just waiting for those who missed it. We've gone that route many times since and the area is more built up, so maybe speeding is more difficult. We've never had a problem since, but we watch very carefully for speed limit changes and adjust accordingly, even if people are passing us.

But that's the only area where we really take pointed care. My DH doesn't speed much, maybe, like others have said, 5 over, or maybe not. But on the I 19, we make sure we're not even a mile over. Just in case.

I find Route 19 well marked in their speed changes. Big a$$ signs and flashing lights. Either way it is full of patrol cars just waiting for those of us passing through. Speed at your own risk, stick to the limit or even under.
The hardest thing I have a problem with is going from State to State one might be 55 and another 75mph. Going down to 55 after cruising at 75 for a State is a bummer. lol I find going through the Virginia's hard to keep the limit as you are never going straight, its either left or right or up and down or a combination of a few of them. Then you get to the most boring highway on the planet I-95 and you just want to fly on that sucker because it is generally straight and 4 lanes wide. Besides they have all kinds of undercover vehicles, best one I saw was a Jeep Grand Cherokee, burgundy with tinted windows. You would never have guessed it and neither did the guy that blew past him until he lit them up and chased him down. Not worth it for me, never go more than 5mph over.

I find Route 19 well marked in their speed changes. Big a$$ signs and flashing lights. Either way it is full of patrol cars just waiting for those of us passing through. Speed at your own risk, stick to the limit or even under.
The hardest thing I have a problem with is going from State to State one might be 55 and another 75mph. Going down to 55 after cruising at 75 for a State is a bummer. lol I find going through the Virginia's hard to keep the limit as you are never going straight, its either left or right or up and down or a combination of a few of them. Then you get to the most boring highway on the planet I-95 and you just want to fly on that sucker because it is generally straight and 4 lanes wide. Besides they have all kinds of undercover vehicles, best one I saw was a Jeep Grand Cherokee, burgundy with tinted windows. You would never have guessed it and neither did the guy that blew past him until he lit them up and chased him down. Not worth it for me, never go more than 5mph over.
And did you happen to notice the plate on the car that blew by him?

We regularly drive down for March break, and I am shocked at the number of Ontario drivers who are blowing by everyone in the fast lane. I've heard some complain that the state troopers target Canadians. They don't target us, we're all just dumber than the Canada Geese flying by a duck blind; we make ourselves into targets.

You will still get some traffic at 5. Whatever you do don't leave any later. Trust me, I am in it everyday between 5 and 5:30. Thats why when I take off for Florida I split at 3am. By 5:30 you get stop and go from Meadowvalle to the 404 and various other spots after that all the way to at least past the airport.
Yes plan to be on road all hooked up waiting for son to get off work early and just park and hop onboard. If we waited for his normal shift it would be 6am when he got home from just outside Wild Water Kingdom @ DHL.

And did you happen to notice the plate on the car that blew by him?

We regularly drive down for March break, and I am shocked at the number of Ontario drivers who are blowing by everyone in the fast lane. I've heard some complain that the state troopers target Canadians. They don't target us, we're all just dumber than the Canada Geese flying by a duck blind; we make ourselves into targets.
No, by that point in the trip we were about 10 minutes from Disney on I4 and I wasn’t paying attention, until this rather average Grand Cherokee lit up like a Christmas tree. Lol
I do notice Canadians are easy to spot on the roads. Either doing the limit sitting in the left lane or passing you like you are standing still. Too many places for Troopers to hide with those divided highways. I’ll stick to my 5 over. Trip is expensive enough without adding tickets.

No, by that point in the trip we were about 10 minutes from Disney on I4 and I wasn’t paying attention, until this rather average Grand Cherokee lit up like a Christmas tree. Lol
I do notice Canadians are easy to spot on the roads. Either doing the limit sitting in the left lane or passing you like you are standing still. Too many places for Troopers to hide with those divided highways. I’ll stick to my 5 over. Trip is expensive enough without adding tickets.
Oh, well if you were still in Orlando then all bets are off. There are more ID-10T's on the road there than in those "stupid driver" videos on YouTube.

I am like you in my speed selection. DW on the other hand is a Canada Goose when driving my truck - she claims it goes too fast (much smoother than her little car). Of course she might clue into my fingers clenching the dashboard as she approaches the 90 mark (not talking kilometers folks). :car:

I'm usually driving 7mph over the limit but at 3am. Never had any issue. DH tends to drive faster and that's why he keeps Waze on (so he can see the police warnings).

I'm usually driving 7mph over the limit but at 3am. Never had any issue. DH tends to drive faster and that's why he keeps Waze on (so he can see the police warnings).
I hope Waze has improved this! The warnings were the main reason I dropped Waze.

What I think was happening is that when people report a speed trap (the warnings are crowd sourced) they have to press a button or two on their phone. By the time do this, travelling at interstate speeds, they are a mile or two past the trap. What kept happening to me was Waze would warn of a speed trap "ahead" just in time for me to look right and see the radar gun pointed at me. By the time I hit the "still there" button, I was a couple of miles down the road... Again, I don't drive fast enough in the US to get them after me, but it seemed like a poorly designed feature.

Thanks for the traffic advice! Didn't mean to hijack the thread with that but it has been very informative.

its what the thread is for :)

Wonder if we can change the name to 'Driving to WDW from Canada' or something more generic

Greetings all and happy new year!

I know this is a topic discussed at length in the past, but with the number of posters I've seen discussing the increasing costs and hassles of flying to WDW, I thought I would make a pitch for our preferred method: The Great Florida Family Road Trip!

We've perfected the itinerary below over multiple road trips to Florida (the most recent being over Christmas 2017), and it works perfectly for our family of four:

Day 1 heading south: Leave Toronto at 5am SHARP. Pre-book a comfortable hotel Charlotte, NC for that first night. Yes, that's a 1,200km drive from Toronto, but the excitement of the trip will carry you through the day! To pass the time, we put on Disney music and movies for the kids, and just enjoy the scenery and time together as a family. We always manage to arrive in Charlotte by dinner, then have our 'hotel party' and hit the pool, order a pizza, and unwind for the evening.

Day 2 heading south: Try to be on the road at 7:30am sharp to arrive at WDW by late afternoon. Be sure to stop at the I-95 Florida Welcome Centre, where the kids (and you) will love sampling Florida OJ and picking up brochures for all the parks you'll be visiting.

Day 1 heading home: There's no sugar-coating this. The post-vacation ride home just isn't as much fun, especially if it's winter and you're heading back into snow. But basically you do the same thing in reverse, just staying in Beckley, WV overnight on Day 1. I find this is far as you can reasonably get before it gets dark in the winter months. Just like the trip down, try to book a comfortable hotel with pool in advance.

Day 2 heading home: Back on the road at 7:30am and arrive home around dinner.

General tips:

It goes without saying that this 90/79/77 route in the winter requires scrupulous weather monitoring. Use your snow tires in the winter (we've had snow as far south as the Virginia/NC border), and definitely try to avoid driving after dark. It's amazing how much more fatigued you'll feel after a day of driving once the sun goes down.

Don't let the gas tank drop below a 1/4 full. This route has a few long stretches between gas stations, so play it smart and make frequent and quick stops for gas just off the highway.

Don't stay in the cheapest hotel you can find. We've done this and it's not worth the minimal savings. Splurge a bit so you can look forward to a comfortable and fun stay after a long day of driving. This entire round trip with gas and two nice hotels costs us about $750 CAN (equivalent to average round-trip airfare for one person), so spend the extra and enjoy yourself.

Make the trip an adventure! Give the kids their own road map to chart your progress. We make license plate and state welcome sign scavenger hunts for the kids, which they actually love! We also compete to see who can spot the first palm tree on the way down (and patch of snow on the way back). Traditions and activities like these will make the road trip part of the memory of the vacation, rather than just a 2,000km slog.

Be safe and have fun! Hope to see you on the road!

Again. Thanks for this. We did the GTA (Hamilton) route to Charlotte. BUT the only went as far as Savannah? GA the 2nd day and treated ourselves to the walking ghost tour of downtown. Fantastic. Then third day we were @ WDW.

Safe travels.

Oh, well if you were still in Orlando then all bets are off. There are more ID-10T's on the road there than in those "stupid driver" videos on YouTube.

I am like you in my speed selection. DW on the other hand is a Canada Goose when driving my truck - she claims it goes too fast (much smoother than her little car). Of course she might clue into my fingers clenching the dashboard as she approaches the 90 mark (not talking kilometers folks). :car:

LOL, My wife is a great driver but I make a crappy passenger. Our Silverado is big compared to her G5. With the 22 inch rims it handles very well considering it's size. I don't know if she is nervous when I'm driving but I sure am when she is whipping through the Carolina's. Thats worked out to be her area over the years, I'll drive from the Shwa to North Carolina and she'll drive for a tank of gas, generally somewhere in South Carolina. I kick back with the laptop and chill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!