Droid Depot for adults, thoughts

Arguetafamily

Mouseketeer
My husband is 44, brother in law 41, they LOVE Star Wars as of course I know many adults do - for me it's meh.

It's my brother in laws first time to DW and my hubby's birthday is in two days, thought this would be a good surprise gift for them.
Will they feel it's too chidish, will they be surrounded by kids? Thanks for any insight. 😊

My husband is 44, brother in law 41, they LOVE Star Wars as of course I know many adults do - for me it's meh.

It's my brother in laws first time to DW and my hubby's birthday is in two days, thought this would be a good surprise gift for them.
Will they feel it's too chidish, will they be surrounded by kids? Thanks for any insight. 😊

Plenty of adults get droids at Disney. There is an entire community on Facebook dedicated to it. Even people who are no big fans of Star Wars seem to enjoy Galaxy's Edge, and the droids do communicate with each other and the land via bluetooth. I plan to get one on my trip in a couple of months. As far as the droids go, they can appeal to both Star Wars fans, and anyone that enjoys radio control vehicles.

It was a mix of kids and adults when I went to build mine--I did not feel like I'd wandered into a kindergarten by mistake, if that's any reassurance. :p If they're deep into Star Wars I think it'd make a great gift. I loved carrying my droid around the park and kept bringing him back on subsequent days because they really do react to things around Galaxy's Edge. They'll get the most out of that if you get them bags to carry the droids they can wear on their fronts or sides; I bought a crossbody bucket bag on Amazon before I went and that worked fine (and cost less than half as much as the droid backpacks they sell in the park). Or the droids do come with boxes with handles but it's harder to see/hear them in the boxes.

The droids are just fun in general. With the new app you can set them up with a dance routine, which I've enjoyed at home. Just be aware they won't be allowed to drive the droids around in the park; droids have to be carried.

It was a mix of kids and adults when I went to build mine--I did not feel like I'd wandered into a kindergarten by mistake, if that's any reassurance. :p If they're deep into Star Wars I think it'd make a great gift. I loved carrying my droid around the park and kept bringing him back on subsequent days because they really do react to things around Galaxy's Edge. They'll get the most out of that if you get them bags to carry the droids they can wear on their fronts or sides; I bought a crossbody bucket bag on Amazon before I went and that worked fine (and cost less than half as much as the droid backpacks they sell in the park). Or the droids do come with boxes with handles but it's harder to see/hear them in the boxes.

The droids are just fun in general. With the new app you can set them up with a dance routine, which I've enjoyed at home. Just be aware they won't be allowed to drive the droids around in the park; droids have to be carried.

To add to this, some people are building "droid escape pods" for their droids. An escape pod is basically a modified hard backpack(I think most people modify one of those clear pet carriers that are made like a backpack), often made with lighting and venting.

To add to this, some people are building "droid escape pods" for their droids. An escape pod is basically a modified hard backpack(I think most people modify one of those clear pet carriers that are made like a backpack), often made with lighting and venting.
Additionally, there's a seller on Etsy making droid harnesses (just search "droid harness" and it'll be the one seller that pops up). Bit pricy at $45 but you can get custom colors (though if you get it before you get the droid I guess you'll have to just guess or go with neutral colors--and you'll need to know what kind of droid they're getting). I just had one made for my droid so he'll be more visible on our next visit--want to show the little guy off.

Are THEY concerned about feeling childish?
If they are surrounded by kids will they NOT feel comfortable building a droid?

It not easy to know how they will feel. I was 20 when Star Wars came out. I'll let you do the math. I'm a big SW fan and I loved making a droid. I loved being around the kids who may have been almost as excited as me. It didn't make ME feel childish.

Thank you everyone for your input! Did not know about the bags or harnesses to carry them in, very good to know.

Now I'm SURE they will enjoy it 😃

My sister and I made droids during our trip last year and had a blast. They gotta be one of my favorite unique souvenirs (despite us wanting to smack them when both would talk with each other at 3AM in the hotel room)

PS: Thanks for letting me know about the app! I can't wait to remotely troll everyone :)

My husband made one last time and he loved it. It's Disney.. age is not a thing.

Hubby and I are Star Wars Fans since the 80s.

We did Droid Depot last year during our visit in Anaheim.
My husband got the droid as his birthday gift and it didn't feel weird doing the selection of the droid parts or the assembly as adults without kids.
As far as I remember, there were many adults in the shop and assembly area.

Agree with all. Many adults when my daughter built in March. Both stations next to her had adults, no kids. I am not a huge fan of the resulting $100 paperweight, but your men might differ.

I did a red/white R2 unit last trip and had fun as a solo adult building a droid. It was not uncomfortable for me at all.
I'm thinking of doing it again sometime and doing a BB8 type unit then. Not sure of the colors though. That way they can interact at home. LOL

My R unit needs a friend - so I'm going to build a BB unit the next time I go. (Note - I travel to Disney solo and I'm over 50!) Does that answer you question?

I'm 59 and looking forward to going back to WDW and doing this myself. Im planning on a red, white and blue R2 unit and planning on naming it R2102260, the name is for the R2 unit then my birthaday

100% yes, it is ok for just adults to do this. DH and I are planning to do this and a lightsaber when we return.

100% yes, it is ok for just adults to do this. DH and I are planning to do this and a lightsaber when we return.

I may pass the lightsaber though, depending how much money I'll have, cause i also want to get a Banshee puppet from Pandora in DAK as well

I'm 41 and wouldn't think twice about doing it. And I might even let my 9-year-old do it, too. :)

I've been to Droid Depot a few times. They certainly won't be "surrounded by kids". I've seen people of all ages building droids in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!