Droid Depot - How was it?!

I loved building one. So much I want to collect a bunch. Plan to bring mine back each trip too. To learn what all they can do
What types of things can the $100 droid do/say/etc?
Go forward backward
Turn left and right
Spin it's head
Beep and boop

Having two kids and one adult build one droid sounds like it will be fine. My concern is that if you have a reservation for both kids, then you would need to cancel one of them at least 24 hours in advance to avoid a no-show fee.
My impression was that the names I put in were for a person who would build a droid. So, I put two of my kids' names down because *each* of them wants to build their own droid. I had intended to do what you want, bring two kids to build one droid, but one wants an R2-unit and one wants a BB-unit (and each has a longstanding love affair with their preferred model), so I'm going to make one of each. 💸
Maybe someone with experience can speak to the possible need to cancel one of the kids if you're only making one droid.
I can report about cancelling
I had a reservation for 8:30 a couple nights ago. We got done with our other plans about 7:00 so walked over to do stand by instead. If it was short enough. It was so I mentioned that I had a reservation for later. The CM told me to cancel it. I was able to and no fee. So not held to 24 hours. Not sure how they'd do if one showed at a time set for 2

I can report about cancelling
I had a reservation for 8:30 a couple nights ago. We got done with our other plans about 7:00 so walked over to do stand by instead. If it was short enough. It was so I mentioned that I had a reservation for later. The CM told me to cancel it. I was able to and no fee. So not held to 24 hours. Not sure how they'd do if one showed at a time set for 2

I have a 9.45AM Droid Building, but since we will be going to the park around 6-7AM we think we may be able to get it out of the way before 9AM via walk up. So you were able to do a walk up and just cancel from the MDE app and not pay the $99 cancel fee? Did the CM have to do anything special for you not to get charged the fee?

I have a 9.45AM Droid Building, but since we will be going to the park around 6-7AM we think we may be able to get it out of the way before 9AM via walk up. So you were able to do a walk up and just cancel from the MDE app and not pay the $99 cancel fee? Did the CM have to do anything special for you not to get charged the fee?
Right. I did it all on mde. CM did nothing

So WDW isn’t really enforcing the $99/no show/late cancel fee?
I have no idea about no show fee. They've never enforced a 24 hour cancelation fee on much of anything. You can almost always move an ADR and/or cancel at less than 24 hours.

Perfect. We are definitely getting 2 backpacks!
Good plan. I figured it was perfect to get him home plus to bring him back for future trips. Since he interacts there I think it's almost a must for him to come back

Plus I saw one reported broken on the trip home so it's great for added protection. It's got a foam form inside

I wasn't sure that it would end up being worth the $200 for both of our kids to build the droids. I figured it would be enjoyable, but wasn't sure about the lasting enjoyment after the experience was over. It was worth every penny. These are quality toys. If you think about how much remote control anything can cost and then factor in the experience of custom building your own beeping, rolling, friend, and then add on the fact that they are a ton of fun to play with.... it was a total win. Way cooler than Build-a-Bear (and my kids love stuffed animals). They seem pretty durable. Our youngest has a BB unit that has as much energy as his maker. (It bumps into a lot of stuff.)

The only caution I have is that the box our BB unit was in became unstable. It couldn't be held by the top because the bottom of the box was about to bust open. I'm not sure if it's because of the shape/weight of the BBs, but it's something to be aware of. I didn't get the backpacks because I was feeling like -oh another $80 on backpacks that will probably never get used again - but actually, it's probably not a bad idea. They would be much safer/easier/enjoyable for carrying the droids throughout Batuu and anywhere else. Probably a good place to let the droids rest up when at home. I could see us bringing the droids back to Batuu to spend more time walking around with them and enjoying their interactions.

Something else I noticed when trying to carry my droid in the box (and probably contributes to their breaking down on the bottom)
The darn thing moves around in the box as it's interacting in the land. It was like trying to carry a live animal in a small carrier.
With the backpack you have a zipper at the top that you can open so the droid can "see" out and you can hear them better. Carry it backwards (so the droid is on your chest). Though I have to say, it's so loud in the land I still had a hard time telling when the droid was doing something. I want to explore that part more.
And I'll confess, I bought both an Alliance chip and a Resistance chip for it. So I can compare different interactions. DH said next we'll get the smugglers chip (or whatever the name of it is) Plus I think he wants to buy/build one. DGD is going to on our trip with her in Oct.

My box started to fail as well - and agree with it being like a live animal rolling around in there as you move around the land! Lol! It was too funny.

I eventually started holding it from the bottom as I felt like the handle and box setup was about to go. It ultimately wasn’t that big of a deal, but I was glad I was going back to the room afterwards!

We're doing this in November with the kids as well (10 year old twins). I got to see the depot at DL during previews and knew the kids would love it. A few follow on questions related to this:

1. If you get the backpacks, what's it like carrying them around and going on rides? Unfortunately, I made reservations long before I got to make FP and figure out our schedule so looks like we'll be making droids towards the beginning of our DHS day rather than right before heading to a car to jump to another park as I had initially planned. I'm sure the kids will want to carry them immediately - the question will be after 30 minutes will they likely want us to carry for rest of day . . .

2. And what about storage for rides you can't take them on - do they fit in lockers?

3. Do they offer front-of-park delivery like many merchandise locations or other storage options if you want to pick it up after you've done other rides?

Last question first, they will deliver them to the front of the park.
As for the backpack, it's no different than carrying around any other full-size backpack. Straps are padded and go over both shoulders. You can carry it in the front or back, whichever you prefer. They aren't heavy. I never took ours on a ride so not sure about how it would fit. I'd assume they'll fit wherever most any backpack can go. I think it would fit in a locker but it's been so long since I've used one in the parks I'm not 100% on their size.

And for what it's worth, you get discounts on the extras

Is there a place on the WDW website to look at all these extras you've mentioned? I want to have a pretty good idea ahead of time what we plan to buy. :tongue:

We did Droid Depot on opening day at DHS and it was a blast for my 6 year old. Purchasing accessories was a little frustrating because it was a pretty long line to check out. Not sure how others got a discount on those, perhaps via AP or DVC, but it's not like you get an auto discount on accessories due to building the droid. Also, at least on opening day, the backpack price tags had nearly all been removed (the price part at least) and rang up as $50, not $40. Luckily, we happened to have picked a backpack with the original price still attached. It rang up as $50, so we asked why given the tag said $40, and they price adjusted (after a wait for a manager approval). Sounds like they tried to make a little extra given how popular those are . . . not sure how to feel about that. Have the prices gone back to $40?

We did Droid Depot on opening day at DHS and it was a blast for my 6 year old. Purchasing accessories was a little frustrating because it was a pretty long line to check out. Not sure how others got a discount on those, perhaps via AP or DVC, but it's not like you get an auto discount on accessories due to building the droid. Also, at least on opening day, the backpack price tags had nearly all been removed (the price part at least) and rang up as $50, not $40. Luckily, we happened to have picked a backpack with the original price still attached. It rang up as $50, so we asked why given the tag said $40, and they price adjusted (after a wait for a manager approval). Sounds like they tried to make a little extra given how popular those are . . . not sure how to feel about that. Have the prices gone back to $40?

Hi....is there pricing and options for the droid accessories online anywhere?

Not sure how others got a discount on those, perhaps via AP or DVC, but it's not like you get an auto discount on accessories due to building the droid.

Would like to know the answer to this as well. $99 is one thing, but I can picture my DD wanting to add on a bunch of accessories like when she goes to Build a Bear. We always intend to just buy a $20 stuffed animal, then walk out of the store with an additional $50 worth of outfits. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter