Droid Depot or Savi's Workshop?

OffToDWD

DIS Veteran
Which would you recommend? I have a 7 and 12 year old and thought it'd be fun to give one of these experiences a try in June. If we just sign the kids up, the parents can just watch... right? Which experience did you like better? How are the quality of the final products? Many thanks!!

I am curious too. I have a 13, 10, and 7 year old. We will be going in September. :)

Do you want to be hit with a heavy lightsaber that might have the light up blade broken? If not, I'd recommend Droid depot. We did both and my husband got a light saber, my then 4 year old daughter got a droid. The droid cost considerably less, we were in and out in less time, and is something she can actually play with.

The lightsaber build is an amazing experience! The finished product is stellar quality, we like showing it off to every Star Wars fan we have over. My youngest loved building a droid with her dad, and the finished product is pretty cool. Plus they interact with things around you while you are in GE. If I had to pick between the two, I would choose building a lightsaber for sure. The experience alone is far superior IMO

@ghtx When are you going to be there? We are going the 5-12th September.

Savi's is probably a more immersive experience and the sabers are great but also you're spending twice as much as the droids. You'll also have kids with a saber which is really more a collectors item than something that you'll be able to roughly play with. If you don't care about the cost and think your kids would take care of the sabers, I'd go with that. But the droids are great too - although require a bit of upkeep with regard to batteries - having to open it to turn it on/off, etc. You can't go wrong either way - really going to be a personal preference decision. (Or - and as a father of twins I'd understand that this may be a non-starter - see if one wants one and one wants the other and they can share! That way you can do both experiences!)

i Loved both experiences. The droid building is more “hectic” and like a busy factory. We had to wait in line after selecting parts before building, but the overall experience was short. The lightsaber was a smaller, more intimate experience. I am a huuuuge fan, so it was worth it for me to experience it once. I don’t know if I would take a kid unless they were a really big Star Wars fan because it’s very expensive.

Really depends on which you think would be better for your kids. Both are fun experiences obviously on more expensive than the other too. Personally I think the droid is a better option for younger kids and then the saber for the older tween/teenage kids.

Thanks, everyone! For the Droid making, can both kids work together to make 1 droid? Or one 1 child per droid?

The base price shows the droid being half the cost of Savi's but that is only for the droid itself. If you purchase the droid carry around backpack and a personality chip it would bring the cost of the droid to approx. $185 which isn't that much less than Savi's where the one price includes everything. We did both last summer and Savi's was a much more immersive experience at least for me and my daughter.

Like some others have said, I would suggest the droid building for children. Savi's is a wonderful experience and I really enjoyed it - but at the end of the day once the experience is over you are left with a display piece light saber. While the droid building experience wasn't as "special" you leave with a remote controlled droid that your children can enjoy in the parks and after you leave the parks.

The base price shows the droid being half the cost of Savi's but that is only for the droid itself. If you purchase the droid carry around backpack and a personality chip it would bring the cost of the droid to approx. $185 which isn't that much less than Savi's where the one price includes everything. We did both last summer and Savi's was a much more immersive experience at least for me and my daughter.
What is a "personality chip"?

My 11 year old son watched YouTube videos of both experiences and decided on the Droid Depot. He felt like Savi’s was more geared to adults (based on the video - we’re not going until later this year). He also doesn’t like that the blades on the light sabers don’t retract like the blades on his Tatooine Traders light sabers. I think he still wants a toy, and the Savi’s light sabers are more like collector’s items.

It may be helpful to watch a couple videos yourself to get an idea of each experience and what may be best for your kids.

I am totally in the dark as to how boarding groups work. Of course, we want to try for a BG for RotR. We also want to do the droid depot. What time would you recommend? I am afraid of having a reservation for the DD and our BG get called.

You have a grace period on returning to RotR. Even if your boarding group was called as soon as your Deoid Depot res started, you should be more than fine.

Thank you! After reading this thread my next thought is whether I want to do this first thing in the morning while it’s a mob scene or during the heat of the day. I’m hoping to get MMRR but I doubt I’ll score a 9:00 am so I may do other fp attractions first then hopefully MMRR then an afternoon Droid Depot. Next question: I allowed an hour between Droid Depot and the next reservation for Savis. Do you think an hour is enough time to get the Droids finished before the next reservation? The kids are doing the droids and a big kid is doing Savis so I guess if worse comes to worst he can go ahead. I know he will enjoy watching the girls though.

An hour is sufficient. Unless there is a backup, not likely, you will be fine. Go a little early, they may take you if you are worried.

Wife and I had an 11:30, arrived at 11:15 and were finished by 11:45, even with a necessary R2 body tear down and replacement.

What do people do with their droids and sabers for the rest of the park? I presume there’s lockers by the front of the park?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter