Droid Problems - need help turning them off and replacing batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellyandtheboys

Earning My Ears
Our precious new droids spent the night in the hotel bathtub because WE COULDNT FIGURE OUT HOW TO TURN THEM OFF!! They were beeping and moving all night long. Now one of them is dead, I assume because the battery ran out.

So can someone please help: How do you easily turn off your droid? How do you replace the batteries?

Yes, there’s a switch on the controller; that only turns the controller off. It’s near impossible for me to spin the 2 BB-8 sides to open it up... I can’t imagine having to do that EVERY time my sons want to wake their droid up. Now my son dropped his and it split open — “mom, guess this is how we access the battery!” I think not. And could it be that I need a screw driver to get to the battery?!?!

My kids LOVE their droid. I’m super not impressed with the process to get one and the advice given, especially at $100 a pop. **We felt very rushed.** My son even had the good sense to ask about how to recharge, and we were told “there are batteries inside.” I should have paid more attention to the half hearted answer we received!! What a missed opportunity to spend 45 seconds explaining to us how the BASICS of how it works instead of shoving it in the box as quickly as possible and informing my kids that the First Order will take them away if they remove them before they leave the Disneyland park. Boo. We can’t even turn them off let alone know anything about their capabilities. It also would’ve been nice for them to tell us why they were moving around in the boxes. It was another missed opportunity to let us in on the fun, but instead we were rushed out with no instructions and thought they were malfunctioning in the box. Last but definitely not least for me — I was incredibly frustrated that they’d run out of parts by the end of our time, so my kids couldn’t make the color droids they wanted. I was extremely suspicious of their explanation that they were simply “no more” and thought for sure they were just “out” for our for our time slot specifically.

Can anyone help?

I'm going to move this over to our Galaxy's Edge board, in hopes that someone over there will know how to deal with malfunctioning droids...

I don't have one yet so this may not be helpful, but I've heard the instructions are on the bottom of the box. Does it say anything about how to turn off or change batteries there?

My guess is that the droids were interacting with each other....based on things I've read, people describing their droids reacting to the bluetooth signals around them while in their boxes/baby bjorn carriers.

Our precious new droids spent the night in the hotel bathtub because WE COULDNT FIGURE OUT HOW TO TURN THEM OFF!! They were beeping and moving all night long. Now one of them is dead, I assume because the battery ran out.

So can someone please help: How do you easily turn off your droid? How do you replace the batteries?

Yes, there’s a switch on the controller; that only turns the controller off. It’s near impossible for me to spin the 2 BB-8 sides to open it up... I can’t imagine having to do that EVERY time my sons want to wake their droid up. Now my son dropped his and it split open — “mom, guess this is how we access the battery!” I think not. And could it be that I need a screw driver to get to the battery?!?!

My kids LOVE their droid. I’m super not impressed with the process to get one and the advice given, especially at $100 a pop. **We felt very rushed.** My son even had the good sense to ask about how to recharge, and we were told “there are batteries inside.” I should have paid more attention to the half hearted answer we received!! What a missed opportunity to spend 45 seconds explaining to us how the BASICS of how it works instead of shoving it in the box as quickly as possible and informing my kids that the First Order will take them away if they remove them before they leave the Disneyland park. Boo. We can’t even turn them off let alone know anything about their capabilities. It also would’ve been nice for them to tell us why they were moving around in the boxes. It was another missed opportunity to let us in on the fun, but instead we were rushed out with no instructions and thought they were malfunctioning in the box. Last but definitely not least for me — I was incredibly frustrated that they’d run out of parts by the end of our time, so my kids couldn’t make the color droids they wanted. I was extremely suspicious of their explanation that they were simply “no more” and thought for sure they were just “out” for our for our time slot specifically.

Can anyone help?
I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm really curious as to whether you ever found an answer to your problem! What did eventually happen, were you ever able to find a way to shut them off?

I’m actually having the opposite problem. My bb unit’s shell comes apart too easily. I try to move it around, and if I turn the unit, the shell opens up and the whole thing falls apart.

As noted, the “manual” doesn’t show how to change batteries, and searches come up with no helpful results, at least in my experience.

For the BB-type, Open the spherical shell and take out the motivator.
At the bottom of the motivator you will see a removable panel withe two screw holes.
Unscrew the screws. This may be hard the first time for one or both. One or both might also be hard to see. The screws will not come completely out (so they wont’ accidentally fall out when you remove the panel.
The panel shout com up easily now. You will notice that it is also the weight that orients the droid.
You should now see the six AA batteries. Replace them and replace and screw back on the panel, which you now know is the battery compartment cover. Turn the droid on. You might need to re-pair the controller, which IS explained on the manual sheet. I didn’t have to re-pair the controller, but you might need to.

There is at least a clear and direct explanation. I don’t have an R droid, so can’t help there.

The R unit is simple. Back panel, remove screws, replace batteries. On-off switch is on the bottom.

My guess is that the droids were interacting with each other....based on things I've read, people describing their droids reacting to the bluetooth signals around them while in their boxes/baby bjorn carriers.
We

Can anyone help?
We built our droid yesterday (BB8 style)....same problem....he was moving around in the box and we were told he would sleep eventually. He apparently did not and was dead this morning. We had to tear the whole thing apart to find the 6 batteries. Unbelievable. People who are on vacation would expect them to at least last thru the week, and who carries batteries and a screwdriver around?! They don't tell you that there IS an on/off switch inside the droid, but to access it, you have to unscrew the body to get to it EVERY time! As for the process itself, it was simple and in the middle of a store, so it didn't feel like a special experience...more like game at the fair...my advice if you really want to do it, bring your own backpack in your luggage. The box they provide is like a "build a bear" box but very heavy and the handle hurts. The backpack for purchase is $49! On a good note, they will ship it to the front of the park for free so you can pick it up when you leave if you'd rather.

If you are going back to the park, I would take it back to the depot and explain what happened. I would think they would replace the batteries for you.

I don't like the fact that you have to open the BB unit to get at the batteries and on/off switch. I think there could have been a better design for that.

I was going to build one of each until I saw how the BB unit functioned. No thanks, not for $100

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!