Drving to DL via San Simeon

sueg

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
We are driving from SF to DL. I have my heart set on seeing the Hearst Castle. I thought that we could stay over night near the Castle, but we are arriving on the weekend and it seems all of places in Cambria require a two night stay. (I'm working from the AAA guide) Does anyone have experience staying in Morro Bay or Cayucos? Also AAA notes:"Between BigSur and San Simeom, SR 1 transverses overehanging precipitous cliffs" Sounds beautiful, but scary. I'm used to the NJ Turnpike/Parkway. Flat, but boring. Is AAA being a little overly dramatic?

Do whatever you can to make that drive! Hwy 1 is a treacherous road, but take your time and you will be well rewarded. Eat light, take your dramamine, and choose a driver who is not easily distracted. It's rare for someone to unintentionally leave the highway. Make a stop at Point Lobos Marine Reserve and visit the otters.

Morro Bay is great, though I have only camped there. Fantastic clam chowder can be found there.

If you plan to spend the night after touring Hearst Castle, you may want to throw in San Luis Obispo or Pismo Beach into the mix. These towns are relatively easy drives from San Simeon and will put yourself that much closer to Anaheim the next day.

<a href="http://www.applefarm.com/">Apple Farm Inn, San Luis Obispo</a>
<a href="http://www.madonnainn.com/">Madonna Inn, San Luis Obispo</a>

Have fun!

UB

As a fellow New Jerseyan,(Wyckoff - we're practically neighbors) DO NOT miss that drive, it is spectacular. And Hearst Castle is something you definitely don't want to miss.

Thank you, Uncle Buck, for the link to the Madonna Inn. Awesome website! I don't know if we will end up staying there, but I really enjoyed the pictures, esp. the rock showers.

We just completed this drive. It awesome. We took our time; 8 hours from SF to Morro Bay. We did alot of stopping and picture taking along the way. There are many beautiful "hidden" beaches along the way. We stayed at The Inn at Morro Bay. We would highly NOT recommend it. It is part of the Disney Club discount program, but it was in poor condition. We would do the trip again but stay elsewhere. The Hearst Castle is wonderful. We were in Anaheim in 4.5 hours from Morro Bay. I guess we were lucky. Enjoy!

we spent a week of our Honeymoon at the Moonstone Inn in Cambria ! And a couple nights in the Madonna Inn! And, the Apple Farm Inn is one of our favorites , we have stayed in the turret rooms, they are scrumptious ! My DH went to Cal Poly....anything else you never wanted to know ?;)

Santa Barbara is also a great place for a night or two ( or 3 like we did on uor honeymoon ) ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!