• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DTV Digital to Analog Converter for 2009

RNmomnFL

Go USF Bulls!
Picked up one of these converters for the camper. I figure that we'll need one of 'em for use with the analog tv/antenna next year. Although we'll be fine on our April, 2009 Fort W. trip since we had to book the premium site with cable.

did you use the 40 buck coupon on the internet? haven't picked one up yet...how does the coupon jobber work?

Is anyone using one of these things yet? Hows the reception? Locally, we only get one or two channels clearly with an antenna....and I use the word "clearly" very loosely. Does the converter improve the signal any?

did you use the 40 buck coupon on the internet? haven't picked one up yet...how does the coupon jobber work?

Yep, used the coupon/card we got in the mail at Wal-Mart on the last night before it expired. Looked for months and they were always out of the least expensive ones. Still cost us $10 or so with the coupon.

Is anyone using one of these things yet? Hows the reception? Locally, we only get one or two channels clearly with an antenna....and I use the word "clearly" very loosely. Does the converter improve the signal any?

Can't tell you as it's still in the box. We have the same reception issues so we now pay for satellite-the small dish. I hate it for we went years with a big dish and either cheap subscription channels or even (gasp) nothing but what our antenna picked up. But the kids have to have their Disney Channel. When we got the converters I must confess the thought was in my mind by next year who knows what the economy will be like so if we have to cancel our satellite at least we'll have this. :)

just watched a documentary on this yesterday and your picture should be comparable if not better than cable with this box. also, there will be screen menus and also a screen to describe the show you're watching.
watch those coupons, i inadvertently let mine expire and they will NOT honor them anywhere. also, they cannot be resent or reissued. I had to order one in my mom's name.
not sure how they'll work with an RV. the tv's antenna has to be plugged in to this box somehow. our tv's in the RV are built in to the cabinets and i can't see plugging in a wired antenna in to this box, there's just no room for that.

I got my converters using the coupon program a couple of months ago. I used the online source listed on the flyer with the coupons and two converters were $23 and change including shipping.

The difference is amazing!! The antenna on my camper is a piece of crap and we never could get anything in. Now we get multiple choices per local channel and they come in super crisp. We've also used one on a cheapo 13" tv with a set of rabbit ears and it works great!!

I have two of the converter boxes and the vast majority of the DTV stations are UHF so if you can get a good UHF signal then you might be O.K. When the strength is good the picture is excellent, but it's not like analog where you can still get sound and picture if the signal strength is less than optimum. It's sort of a all or nothing type thing and I think a lot of folks are going to be disappointed.

Larry

After Carol posted some time back about hooking up her converter and the picture quality was so much better I immediately purchased my boxes once my coupons arrived. On the positive side: The picture quality is very good.
On the down side: (1)If your reception before installing is poor you will get NO picture. Simply a message that says no signal. Much like satellite during a storm. (2) I hooked the box up to my 19" TV and the picture came out about the size of a 13" screen---it had several inches of black around the outer edges of the screen.

Needless to say I am not happy. We do have satellite here but not the local channels. I may have to upgrade to local channels once digital goes into effect in Feb. 09.

You know, it doesn't make any difference to me - I never would even think about taking a TV camping in any event. Very rarely even have electricity. :lmao:

After Carol posted some time back about hooking up her converter and the picture quality was so much better I immediately purchased my boxes once my coupons arrived. On the positive side: The picture quality is very good.
On the down side: (1)If your reception before installing is poor you will get NO picture. Simply a message that says no signal. Much like satellite during a storm. (2) I hooked the box up to my 19" TV and the picture came out about the size of a 13" screen---it had several inches of black around the outer edges of the screen.

Needless to say I am not happy. We do have satellite here but not the local channels. I may have to upgrade to local channels once digital goes into effect in Feb. 09.

Drafthorse:

Go into the set up menu and tell your converter box what format your TV is. Thats what I had to do to fill the screen. Mine also gets 2 or 3 channel veriations per channel here ABC is on channel 6 I also get 6.1 different programs and 6.2news/weather 24/7. Most of the channels here have a _.1 and _.2 some even have a _.3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter