Dunkin' sans "Donuts"

I drink a lot of their unsweetened iced tea. My kids like their donuts sometimes but they have really gone down hill.
We do like the munchkins, which my DS10 has been calling "dumplings" since he was 2 years old.
I have never gotten any other food, besides a bagel.

Where I live DD isn't very popular. Everyone goes to the local donut shops that serve freshly made sausage rolls.

Been a very long time since Dunkin made good donuts.
They barely have any filling and sit there for hours on the shelf after being trucked in.
Instead of taking down the sign, improve the donuts!

There’s one very close to my house. I rarely go there, but have neighbors who stop in daily for coffee.

Reminds me of a friend of DS’ in grade school named Duncan. Kids called him donut boy.

We had a ton of Dunkin open up here 4 or 5 years ago and at least half of them are gone already, it seems difficult for them to compete with Tim Horton's. Starbucks survives alongside them but I think it's because it's a different type of "experience". As a kid back home I used to enjoy their donuts but either they went downhill or I had less discerning donut tastes as a kid, LOL. My favorite donuts are locals... around here we have a place called Paula's that is good and my other favorite is Duck Donuts, specifically in Duck, NC.

I'm not even sure they had coffee but the donuts
Yup, they've always had coffee.
Sadly, those days are gone (isn't that part of a song?).
You're maybe thinking of "Those Were the Days"? http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/m/mary_hopkin/those_were_the_days.html
Their donuts are crappy. I stopped by one today at 8 AM to get coffee; they had less than a dozen donuts in the case. You would think they would still have donuts that early in the morning
They throw out the donuts at closing (or maybe take them home, or donate them?) That shop must not have gotten the day's delivery.

We call it Dunks....not that I go there much anymore (even though there's one like every quarter of a mile). I feel like their coffee is so hit or miss compared to how it used to be. I prefer Marylous - their coffee is consistently better than Dunks (all you south shore Massachusetts ppl probably know Marylous).

They have good iced tea, but you can’t get free refills (at least not the last time I was there) so I skip them for the Panera down the road. I don’t eat food at either though

My first thought was "They really are paying all this money just to change the name a little? Who got paid for this?" It's still the same place to me-I've heard it called Dunkins, Dunkin Donuts, it's still the same great place to me. Unfortunately we moved to one of the states that didn't have a DD, and I almost had a party when they finally expanded enough to build a store in our area.

The donuts at DD are just plain bad now. And their food is disgusting. And they over sugar their coffee, or I am just getting older lol because when I was a "novice" coffee drinker, I thought it was the best thing ever!

We have Marianos grocery stores around here now that open at 6am, and they bake their donuts fresh every day, and they are HUGE, and soft, and airy, and totally yummy, for $7.00 a dozen. They also have a cafe area that sells good coffee, although I've often run into Marianos for the donuts on the way to work, then across the parking lot to McD for a dollar coffee. There's also a DD in the same parking lot, and I bypass it all the time. Too bad, too because my favorite treat as a little kid was when my parents would surprise us with a dozen DD on a Sunday morning.

Last edited:
So interesting everyone talking about the donuts being made offsite. I guess I’m lucky one of the Dunkin’s here makes them on site and delivers to their other location. He takes request for flavors, makes number shaped donuts for birthdays. But I can absolutely tell they are made in house as opposed to other locations where they aren’t. I don’t even get donuts at other locations anymore.

I have only been to Dunkin Doughnuts twice maybe 3 times. I was so excited when they finally opened one. It was underwhelming. Our local places are much better!

So interesting everyone talking about the donuts being made offsite. I guess I’m lucky one of the Dunkin’s here makes them on site and delivers to their other location. He takes request for flavors, makes number shaped donuts for birthdays. But I can absolutely tell they are made in house as opposed to other locations where they aren’t. I don’t even get donuts at other locations anymore.

I know of some Krispy Kreme locations around here that supply the smaller, neighborhood stores that won't really "make" any beyond applying hot glaze. The bigger stores also supply licensed stands (I remember one at Penn Station in NYC) as well as markets.

15474737756_ab5681da08_b.jpg

And I did try the donuts at our local Dunkin. They seemed kind of dry.

I'm not sure of what to make about mom and pops. In California we have the phenomena of Cambodian immigrant family-owned donut shots. There's one that my kid likes. We'll go there and sit in the corner next to the calendar from the foodservice company that sold them the commercial donut mix. They all taste about the same, because they all use similar prepared donut mixes. But I generally the donuts better than KK or Dunkin.

I will say that when I was in BC last year, Tim Hortons had pretty good donuts.

Another from the Boston area (where the chain started) who calls it something else - to us it's Dunkies! And it's a staple. The running joke around here is how many people still drink Iced Coffee all winter! :cold: (And in college, my friends used to make fun of my car because I always had a bunch of old DD cups on the floor in the back seat, lol. Which is probably why they now have those big tunneled trash cans before and after their drive thrus.)

One of my favorite gifts is a Dunkies gift card! :goodvibes On my way to work I MUST get a Dunkies - maybe hot, maybe iced, depending on what mood I'm in - and everyone else comes into work with a Dunkies, as well. DD sometimes gets the foo-foo drinks as we call them, but for the most part, I think most people I know get their regular version of coffee. And DS, for some odd reason, loves the bagel sandwiches. (To me they're kind of gross. His college car is rivaling mine!)

Around where I live and work there are DD's just about everywhere. I have three on the main road I take to get to work near my house, and another three on the road just before my workplace. Last big snowstorm I trudged my way inside a DD's with no drive thru, and was in line beside a Boston cop. We were both laughing about having to come to work despite the snow when virtually nobody else was around.

I will sometimes pick up their donuts or donut holes to bring in to work (since I'm there anyway), or patients' families give them to us, and I admit they're not the best, but people enjoy them. They're a nice treat. If I buy donuts for home or to drop off at my kids' workplace on the weekend, I get the good ones from a local donut shop which are made onsite.

So it sounds like we around this area appreciate DD's more than some in other areas of the country do, which is fine, and understandable. It's traditional for us here. I don't think people here will appreciate the name change, really, but as long as they stick around, it doesn't really matter that much. (I will address what I think of their changes in a different post.)

Tattylou, lol, I am not a big fan of Marylou's! I am almost always disappointed when I get a coffee from anywhere but Dunkin Donuts! And sometimes I get a bad one from Dunkin and I am not a happy camper! But the good thing is, if it's not right, you can run in another and they'll gladly fix it for you.

Donuts, and bakery products in general, took a nosedive in popularity in the 80s and 90s or so, as people became more health conscious. It's been an industry-wide problem. Health concerns weren't the only thing, businesses became very expensive to run as rent and utility costs rose - all for a product that traditionally didn't yield very high profit. Costs of ingredients also skyrocketed. Little by little, many older bakeries closed. Many donut shops went out of business for the same reasons.

Then there was a resurgence in the 2000s as Food Network shows created a big interest in more high-end cakes and pastries. Newer style bakeries opened up and started charging $5 for a cupcake instead of $1. And cakes became not only tasty treats, but works of art, commanding oftentimes very high prices. Nicely decorated cookies can now cost $3-4 each, which would've been unheard of years ago! It's all quite different than it used to be, in a lot of ways. When you walk into a bakery, shelves should be robust and full, consistently, with a variety of fresh products for sale. Instead, what we often see now is a generally just a few products, which may be old or previously frozen, shelves half full and sometimes whole cases empty. (If you still have a great bakery nearby, consider yourself lucky!)

As for donuts, it's hard to find a good Mom and Pop donut type shop that still makes their own donuts. And pretty much nobody makes them completely from scratch anymore - donut mixes are used. There are a few reasons for this, cost and consistency being among the biggest. It would take a lot of manpower to keep the right amount of all the other ingredients needed, on hand, all the time. (Inevitably, something would be missing!) Instead, bags of mix come in and they're easier to streamline.

Consistency in baked goods is huge, especially in a chain. You should be able to go to any store in the same chain get a product that tastes the same no matter where you go. This is why they often make things in a central location now, plus it streamlines their costs for labor and equipment, which can be astronomical today. Some of the machines can easily cost $50K - and they break a lot. Repair costs are high and there aren't a lot of people left who do them so a problem can cause loss of production for days.

Anyway, back to Dunkin Donuts.

This is an interesting timeline of photos and milestones if anyone's interested. http://archive.boston.com/business/gallery/dunkin_donuts_history/

More detailed:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkin'_Donuts

Highlights:

1948 - "Open Kettle" doughnut restaurant opens in Quincy, MA
1950 - Renamed "Dunkin Donuts"
1955 - First franchise in Worcester, MA
1963 - 100th franchise opened
1972 - Munchkins added
1978 - Muffins added
1979 - 1000th franchise
1982 - Fred the Baker campaign, "Time to Make the Donuts"
1990 - 2000th franchise; aquired "Mister Donut" chain
1992 - 3000th franchise (Wow!)
1996 - Bagels added
1997 - Breakfast sandwiches added
2004-2006 -New company headquarters in Canton, MA, "America Runs on Dunkin" campaign, company acquired by consortium of private equity firms, becoming "Dunkin Brands"
Thereafter exponential growth, now over 12,000 restaurants in 36 countries

Hmmm. A lot going on there! I wonder if some of the quality suffered with some of the growth? I have a friend who worked for DD corporate for many years and wound up leaving because it became too unpleasant. I've known a lot of companies where that has happened.

Personally, I think they added too many products, and should've just stuck with a few, but done them really well. Maybe they'll go back to that during their restructuring/renaming process. But it sounds like there are literally a lot of cooks in the kitchen now. We shall see what happens.

Just an aside looking at that Krispy Kreme photo. We had a couple of KKs around here but they didn't do well and most closed, I believe. I think you can still get the donuts at some supermarkets and maybe gas stations or something, but I don't know where they come from. The last time I bought them was in FL last spring when we bought a couple dozen for DS's condo when he was playing baseball down there. I'll do the same this year. I might even get a honeydipped myself.

Just give me a box of Entenmann's Softees and I'm happy. (Not at full price ~~$4.59, only when they're B1G1F or 2/$5 or a similar deal)

41bA6bNQGnL.jpg

We call it Dunks....not that I go there much anymore (even though there's one like every quarter of a mile). I feel like their coffee is so hit or miss compared to how it used to be. I prefer Marylous - their coffee is consistently better than Dunks (all you south shore Massachusetts ppl probably know Marylous).

I like their coffee...when DH brings it to me. But I'm completely overwhelmed by ordering in there! Some flavors are hot today, some flavors are iced today, they change all the time, and I never know what I'm doing.

And they over sugar their coffee, or I am just getting older lol because when I was a "novice" coffee drinker, I thought it was the best thing ever!

No, they over-sugar. I always ask for "one less sugar than usual" for the size.

Donuts, and bakery products in general, took a nosedive in popularity in the 80s and 90s or so, as people became more health conscious. It's been an industry-wide problem.

Definitely a contributing factor!

@PollyannaMom you just need to go to Marylous more and you'll get your ordering down and be hooked for life- hahaha!!! I always just get my French vanilla and they always have that.

@Pea-n-Me I think I like Marylous more bc they don't use flavor shots for the flavored coffees. I usually get French vanilla and since Dunkies switched to flavor shots (maybe 15 years ago??), it just isn't the same for me. Love that you put up all the Dunkies history!

My BFF is from Buffalo and she swears Tim Horton's is the greatest coffee on earth.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter