Dunkirk

My grandfather was there. I never met him. He was an alcoholic who died in his forties. So not calling it PTSD doesn't mean they didn't suffer.

I also won't be seeing the movie. :(
My Pappy was in WWII. Grandpa was in Korea. And my father was in Vietnam. Not one of them will (or would before my grandfathers passed) talk to me about it. Occassionally, when my dad drinks, he will make some comments to my brothers or to my DH, but nothing he shares with me. I think he knows how much it would haunt me to KNOW what he went through at such a tender age.

Men of those generations could not show their battle scars. Mental illness had an even greater stigma than today. Men had to be strong, unshakeable, unflappable. They weren't allowed weakness or perceived weakness. So many self medicated.

Having said that, I do enjoy a GOOD war movie. One that is based on historical events and not a romantic drama (I'm looking at YOU Pearl Harbor).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...xplores-heroism-innovative-fashion/482574001/

"The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way. Still, Nolan’s feat is undeniable: He’s made an immersive war movie that celebrates the good of mankind while also making it clear that no victory is without sacrifice."

Is it maybe because it's based on a historical British event

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...xplores-heroism-innovative-fashion/482574001/

"The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way. Still, Nolan’s feat is undeniable: He’s made an immersive war movie that celebrates the good of mankind while also making it clear that no victory is without sacrifice."

Is it maybe because it's based on a historical British event

historical accuracy isnt important anymore. its all about PC. /s

Since it's rated PG 13, hopefully it won't be quite as bloody/gory as others.

My grandfather was there. I never met him. He was an alcoholic who died in his forties. So not calling it PTSD doesn't mean they didn't suffer.

I also won't be seeing the movie. :(
Your right, sorry for making that statement. My dh is listening to a audio book, (which has nothing to do with war), it is about deep tunnel projects and divers that went into these tunnels and PSTD was first classified as a symptom in 1990. It came from a young psychiatrist that worked with war veterans in Vietnam and then he worked with some of the deep mining tunnel workers that lost co-workers. He said they had the exact same symptoms, and classified the symptoms as Post Traumatic Stress syndrom.

How does pc even come into this conversation...smh. Seriously?!

Well, the previously quoted review does go out of its way to note the lack of minirities & small role of women. So, I guess it was bound to come up.

I'm going with my daughter & her best friend. I'm supposed to sit away from them though LOL

Well, the previously quoted review does go out of its way to note the lack of minirities & small role of women. So, I guess it was bound to come up.

I'm going with my daughter & her best friend. I'm supposed to sit away from them though LOL

Ok, don't pay attention to linkys and I thought we were talking the movie...and you can't just insert people where they weren't. The Dis is weird though!

You can't sit next to your dad though - geeze, that's as dumb as yelling about pc-crap. You can pay for tickets and buy them popcorn and cokes though!

historical accuracy isnt important anymore. its all about PC. /s

Sorry! I don't read linked articles here very often (or any message board, I'm scared of bogeymen), shouldn't have been so quick on the draw, so again, apologies.

Can anyone who has seen it comment on the gore? I am really squeamish when it comes to intense, bloody injuries, but DH and I would like to see it.

There's a web site called "kids in mind" that gives detailed info on violence, etc. On a scale of 1-10 they rated the violence on Dunkirk as a 6 and say why. I'd copy/paste the link but I'm away from the home computer and this one isn't cooperating.

Can anyone who has seen it comment on the gore? I am really squeamish when it comes to intense, bloody injuries, but DH and I would like to see it.

The movie is intense. But it is not bloody or gory. I saw it this afternoon. It's an excellent movie. I mean, it's one of the best WWII movies I've ever seen. The movie shows dead bodies in certain scenes, but you don't see people blown up and there isn't anything like body parts falling down out of the sky or partially decomposed corpses with decomposed faces or anything like that.

If you are a war veteran with PTSD, you should really not see this movie, though. Why? Because of the sound. Quiet and silent and calm one minute and then machine gun fire another minute.

The story at first seems complex, but there are multiple story lines that eventually weave together in an awesome way...it's story telling at its finest only in film format instead of book format. This WWII movie is different than a lot of other WWII movies. Seriously...it's really well done. It deserves Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Score, etc., etc. The scenes in the British fighter plane are amazing. The movie captures so many human moments and tells the story in a unique way at times without a ton of dialogue. The director did an amazing job.

The reason there are almost zero minorities in the film is because the movie is historically accurate. The British army at that time had almost zero minorities. Yes, they were all white men. The movie is not about the British women who served as nurses in field hospitals or as message decoders back in England. It's about the battle of Dunkirk and trying to get 400,000 British soldiers back to England. Those 400,000 soldiers were all white men.

To explain further my prior comment about the gore & dead bodies...the movie does show dead bodies, but they are face down. The movie shows injured soldiers on stretchers, but they have all of their arms & legs intact and there aren't any Vietnam War-type scenes with people's guts spilling out. An injured soldier might have white gauze wrapped around his head with blood on it. Or a blood stain on the front of his uniform. But that's the extent of it. Walking wounded soldiers in the movie occasionally have a bandage on their heads with blood on it or dried blood on the side of a soldier's face.

The movie is intense. But it is not bloody or gory. I saw it this afternoon. It's an excellent movie. I mean, it's one of the best WWII movies I've ever seen. The movie shows dead bodies in certain scenes, but you don't see people blown up and there isn't anything like body parts falling down out of the sky or partially decomposed corpses with decomposed faces or anything like that.

If you are a war veteran with PTSD, you should really not see this movie, though. Why? Because of the sound. Quiet and silent and calm one minute and then machine gun fire another minute.

The story at first seems complex, but there are multiple story lines that eventually weave together in an awesome way...it's story telling at its finest only in film format instead of book format. This WWII movie is different than a lot of other WWII movies. Seriously...it's really well done. It deserves Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Score, etc., etc. The scenes in the British fighter plane are amazing. The movie captures so many human moments and tells the story in a unique way at times without a ton of dialogue. The director did an amazing job.

The reason there are almost zero minorities in the film is because the movie is historically accurate. The British army at that time had almost zero minorities. Yes, they were all white men. The movie is not about the British women who served as nurses in field hospitals or as message decoders back in England. It's about the battle of Dunkirk and trying to get 400,000 British soldiers back to England. Those 400,000 soldiers were all white men.

Thanks taking the time to review! I extra excited now.

Thanks taking the time to review! I extra excited now.

I cannot explain sufficiently in words how well done this movie is. I don't want to reveal details of the movie, but any movie lover would be a total fool to not see this movie. And it's a movie that deserves to be seen on a big screen with a big sound system.

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter