Dust Mites

Boomerwon

Mouseketeer
Anyone have any solutions for my DH dust mite problem? The first night of our last cruise they pulled down the wall bed and DH had a major flare-up. Dust mites are the only things that he is allergic to. I loaded him up on Benadryl, but then the next day he was a zombie! After that first night, he couldn't go anywhere near the wall be or the top bunk bed without a reaction.

Any ideas out there? There must be others who have had the same problem. :p

Yuk. I wonder if a twin bed plastic bag would be enough. Maybe you can ask the host/ess to do some serious vacuuming of the bed frame/base area on the first day, as well. Email DCL with the dilemma and maybe they have some ideas. If they knew in advance of the need, maybe it could be addressed in advance of you arriving in your stateroom. Good luck.

Thanks DreamsDoComeTrue, that is a great idea to email Disney about the problem, or at least speak to the cabin steward about it.

Actually, I didn't really think that it was that yucky, because our cabin was very clean and didn't bother me at all. DH is just super sensative!

Vacuuming will help, just make sure DH stays out of the room for one hour after it's done bc the dust mites will be in the air for awhile.

Another strategy is to bring along a package of Clorox wipes (or something similar, even baby wipes would work, and smell pretty!). I hate to recommend that you clean your own cabin on vacation (seems to defeat the purpose, huh?) but your mention of the wall bed starting the flare up last time leads me to think that there is a lot of dust hiding in the nooks and crannies of the bed frame and the area where the bed is stored. If you got in there with the wipe, and cleaned it off, it might help. You might just go around the sofa, your bed frame (esp. headboard area and behind if you can get to it.) As you said, this does not bc of the cleanliness of the room, it's just to kill those little nasty beasts! I also have rotten allergies and have found that damp dusting is the key to comfort, so this should help.

ps: I also use these wipes on the plane, not for allergies but for cleanliness. I wipe down the armrests and the table trays b4 I let DD eat. It sounds loonie, I know, but she used to get sick after every flight - now I travel every week and see how dirty the planes really are - since I started doing this, she has not gotten sick once! Just call me the Germinator!

I am also very concerned. My DS(4) has a very severe allergy to dust mites, we have all of our beds encased. I was planning on bringing a mattress bag only for his pull down bed. Anyone with a similar allergy? should I bring the mattress bag for the other beds?

10ryann, I can certainly understand your concern! DH only had attacks if he got onto the wall bed, or top bunk. He is now talking about getting a shot before going on the next cruise, since it has helped with his allergies in the past. Not sure if that is an option for your son. I have contacted DCL to inquire about solutions to this issue and will let you know of their response.

Has anyone tried those mini electronic air filters from Sharper Image? They look like a night light and plug into an outlet. We were considering purchasing one of those if they truly work, as they are costly- $70.

Happy Sailing!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter