Duty free question

elphaba91

DIS Veteran
I will be heading off for my first trip to WDW next Sunday :scared1: and would like to purchase some duty free alcohol (Bacardi or vodka) for consumption during the trip. I've only ever bought duty free when flying back into Melbourne so am a bit unsure if it's possible to even do so with a connecting domestic flight.

I've read that if I buy it in Melbourne or at TBIT and they put it in a special sealed bag then I should be able to get it through TSA, but then I've read stories of this not working. Has anyone done this successfully?

Alternatively, I know there's a duty free shop in the United terminal, but will my boarding pass that shows I arrived on an international flight be sufficient to let me shop there?

Or would it just be easier (and/or cheaper) to buy it in Orlando somewhere? My sister is over there doing the Disney International Program so I could just ask her to get something.

I will be heading off for my first trip to WDW next Sunday :scared1: and would like to purchase some duty free alcohol (Bacardi or vodka) for consumption during the trip. I've only ever bought duty free when flying back into Melbourne so am a bit unsure if it's possible to even do so with a connecting domestic flight.

I've read that if I buy it in Melbourne or at TBIT and they put it in a special sealed bag then I should be able to get it through TSA, but then I've read stories of this not working. Has anyone done this successfully?

Alternatively, I know there's a duty free shop in the United terminal, but will my boarding pass that shows I arrived on an international flight be sufficient to let me shop there?

Or would it just be easier (and/or cheaper) to buy it in Orlando somewhere? My sister is over there doing the Disney International Program so I could just ask her to get something.

I would ask your sister to check out pricing for the alcohol. In my experience, alcohol has been cheaper in the US compared to duty free here. But that may have changed in recent years. In addition, the exchange rate is somewhat different as well. Perhaps if she can give you an indicative pricing, you can work out which is the better option for you.

And FWIW - I would buy it over there simply because it means less to carry through airports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!