• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC accessibility?

JenandMolly

Earning My Ears
I posted this in the DVC board, but thought smeone here might know??

Hello,
We are thinking about trying to rent points for an upcoming trip, but I'd like to ask a question about handicapped accessibility before I persue it. We don't have to have a roll-in shower, but it would be helpful. Grab bars in the bathroom are needed, as is an entry that has no stairs (or an access to ramp or elevator). Are these features available in any two-bedroom villas that are part of DVC (Disney Vacation Club)? If they are, are they really hard to get?
Thanks for your help!

Jen

All of the DVC resorts have to meet the ADA (American with Disabilities Act) which requires a certain number of handicapped accessible rooms (the one with grab bars and a number with features for people who are deaf) and fully wheelcchair accessible rooms (the ones with roll in showers and roll under sinks).
There are accessible rooms available in all room sizes in all of the resorts. For people who using points for their stay, that is arranged thru Member Services when the reservation is made. The accessible rooms are reserved and guaranteed. The request for first floor or near an elevator is a request and is not guaranteed, but if needed for Medical Reasons, it will be filled before the "general" requests for the same thing. (Make sure the request is noted as a Medical Request -or similar language- on the confirmation).

OKW only has a few buildings with elevators; we have never had a problem with a request of "First floor or elevator building". The other DVC resorts have elevators, so no special request would be needed (unless you want to request close to elevator).

OKW has the largest rooms and it is easy to get around even the non-accessible rooms with a wheelchair. We have stayed at all the other resorts, but not in the accessible rooms. We found the other resorts tight to use a wheelchair, even my DD's narrow adult chair (14 inch wide seat compared to average adult of 18 inch width).

Thanks Sue! I saw your response over in DVC also. It sounds like it would work out for us, so I am going to give it a try. I'm the one who needs the accessibility (muscular dystrophy), and I only need the wheelchair when we are out of the room.

I wasn't sure if they (DVC Resorts) were lumped together with their regular resort counterpart to meet the ADA requirement. I'm glad to know that there are options for everyone!

JenandMolly said:
I wasn't sure if they (DVC Resorts) were lumped together with their regular resort counterpart to meet the ADA requirement. I'm glad to know that there are options for everyone!
Yep, that's right.

Just to note, that sometimes the Studio sized accommodations get a bit tight with the chair in them, so if you can swing a 1BR or 2BR it makes for a much more pleasant stay. Also, unless you need a roll-in shower, it's best not to have one, as they are most inconvenient unless you are in your chair. Our DS (7) is wheelchair-bound but cannot use a roll-in shower, so we insist as best we can that we get rooms with tubs (carrying a wet slippery naked boy on a wet floor can be dangerous for all involved). Notably this is only an issue in the Studios as the 1BRs and 2BRs all have the big jacuzzi tub in addition to a separate shower.

Sue, our beloved Moderatrix, has lots more experience as she has been a DVC member longer and her child is older. I would think tho that a 2BR at SSR (the newest DVC resort) would be a good match. Tho the units are smaller than at OKW, I suspect more of the SSR units have tubs equipped with grab bars. I also like having access to a zero-depth entry pool and water wheelchairs, both of which they have at SSR. OKW 2BRs are palatially large, while BWV, VWL and BCV are somewhat smaller but still with ample space.

Good luck!

pumpkinboy said:
I would think tho that a 2BR at SSR (the newest DVC resort) would be a good match. Tho the units are smaller than at OKW, I suspect more of the SSR units have tubs equipped with grab bars. I also like having access to a zero-depth entry pool and water wheelchairs, both of which they have at SSR. OKW 2BRs are palatially large, while BWV, VWL and BCV are somewhat smaller but still with ample space.

Good luck!
DH and I stayed at SSR last July without the kids, so I did not see the water wheelchair, but I was most disappointed in the zero- entry pool. The zero entry part is nice; you can walk right in on kind of a long ramp, but the pool is very shallow. I walked around the whole pool and found the deepest parts to be close to the slide and they were only a smidge over 3 feet deep. i attempted to swim in that pool and wasn't able to because I felt like eitherr my feet or my arms would hit bottom with every other stroke.
When I do take DD into the pool, I need the water to be 4 feet or deeper to float her without killing my back or worrying about her feet hitting bottom, so she would not be able to use that pool.
If you have a smaller child, are using a float, are pretty short yourself so a child floating in 3 feet of water would not be stooping to you, or you are OK with just sitting in the water wheelchair, it may work.

Thanks for the info. It's definitely good to know. Apparently our trip is during a time that is popular with DVC owners, but I am going to try to stay at one of their properties in a 2 bedroom. We're taking my parents, my grandmother, and my almost 3 yr. old dd.

I love the pools, and I can still manage to get into one on my own. Dh has to lift me up the last step or two and into a chair to put on my afos. We want to go Dec. 14-19, so it may be too chilly for us to swim anyway.

I may hit you up with more questions later, Sue! ;)

I would try for OKW- as someone who cannot transfer in/out of a chair, I can't get in the kitchen at the other DVC properties. Actually I can get in, but then can't get into the refrigerator or actually use the space due to it being so small and with no turnaround space at all. At OKW in the 1/2bedroom units there is only an island in the middle of the room ( the TV is in it) so easy access to all the kitchen "stuff". Also in the other properties the washer/dryer is stackable so it's impossible to reach the dryer, esp. now that I have a service dog to get the laundry out! Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter