DVC availability, points & value help a mom out!

Mouseketwins

Earning My Ears
Hi! We have been continually evaluating DVC since 2 young kids and we have had week long trips 3x in 6 years and only stay at the deluxe resorts. We tend to do cooler months (late Jan-early Feb and maybe an occasional Halloween or Christmas party) because one child has medical needs and that’s how we found Copper Creek (no carpet) and rented points there this year. We love WL atmosphere and the boat access and figure we need about 175-225 points if we keep current. I keep reading so much I am confused - with CC having some booming challenges is it a wise one for a home resort? Boulder Ridge ends sooner but is that value not as good? Any other suggestions? Riviera direct? Welcome any suggestions thanks

Last edited:
Hi! We have been continually evaluating DVC since 2 young kids and we have had week long trips 3x in 6 years and only stay at the deluxe resorts. We tend to do cooler months (late Jan-early Feb and maybe an occasional Halloween or Christmas party) because one child has medical needs and that’s how we found Copper Creek (no carpet) and rented points there this year. We love WL atmosphere and the boat access and figure we need about 175-225 points if we keep current. I keep reading so much I am confused - with CC having some booming challenges is it a wise one for a home resort? Boulder Ridge ends sooner but is that value not as good? Any other suggestions? Riviera direct? Welcome any suggestions thanks
You can get Boulder Ridge resale points in the $90 range. If you want WL I'd go that route. Copper Creek points just went up to $210 a point so I personally wouldn't buy there direct but you can most likely find a resale there in the $150-$160 range.

The least expensive resort to buy direct at the moment is Old Key West but if you only want to stay at Wilderness Lodge you'll need to buy there.

CCV can be hard to book for Halloween or Christmas time trips in a studio villa. What size would you be looking for as a unit?

So many posts about how difficult it is to book a CCV studio even as a CCV owner. Are you planning to book studios?

Is carpeting a deal breaker? If it is, I don't know which resorts have carpeting and which don't.

January-February is not necessarily as quiet as it used to be. Martin Luther King Day. Disney Marathons. Presidents' Day is a long weekend for some people, but some schools close for a week and families go to Disney.

Just to add, for some years people have been saying buy where you want to stay. Every trip I see that mantra is more and more true. This year might be a blimp with star wars, but we are going first week Dec. Always a very busy time, but last night I check for a studio, one bedroom or two bedroom. From Dec 5 -8, not one room is open in any DVC.

We have several days at BLT and have wait list for more, but I always check at least 6 times a day in case a 2 bedroom pops up

You can get Boulder Ridge resale points in the $90 range. If you want WL I'd go that route. Copper Creek points just went up to $210 a point so I personally wouldn't buy there direct but you can most likely find a resale there in the $150-$160 range.

The least expensive resort to buy direct at the moment is Old Key West but if you only want to stay at Wilderness Lodge you'll need to buy there.

Yes I did find Boulder Ridge around 90 and Copper Creek in that $155 range. Is the savings worth it with the difference in years? How often do they remodel?

CCV can be hard to book for Halloween or Christmas time trips in a studio villa. What size would you be looking for as a unit?

We had a studio at CC as a rental this past January and fine now while my kids are young but I would see a 1 bd as more our standard

So many posts about how difficult it is to book a CCV studio even as a CCV owner. Are you planning to book studios?

Is carpeting a deal breaker? If it is, I don't know which resorts have carpeting and which don't.

January-February is not necessarily as quiet as it used to be. Martin Luther King Day. Disney Marathons. Presidents' Day is a long weekend for some people, but some schools close for a week and families go to Disney.
We were fortunate to have a studio rental this year. The last three years we always go the last week of Jan or first of Feb just because she can breathe easier if not too hot and humid. We tried once early November and was too hot and super crowded. I would say studios are going to be increasingly small for us so a 1bd is more likely unless we do every other year and do a 2bd. Carpeting isn’t a total deal breaker but really don’t prefer it because we do have more issues with it but they do a medical grade clean for us.

Staying at MK area or perhaps Beach Club would be my preferred options only based on how we always travel. With the differences in prices and years left or availability wasn’t sure which is the best value or the quirks of each such as CC and too few studios

I would add that if one of your criteria is "no carpet," that is a bad situation for DVC. Disney can change carpet (or no carpet) in any given refurb. Since DVC is a long-term purchase, realistically a resort without carpet might get carpet at some point if that's what the trend demands.

BCV is basically nearly the worst value, or the worst, among on-site resorts. You really should only buy BCV if BCV is where your heart is and you understand you are paying a premium to stay there.

We were fortunate to have a studio rental this year. The last three years we always go the last week of Jan or first of Feb just because she can breathe easier if not too hot and humid. We tried once early November and was too hot and super crowded. I would say studios are going to be increasingly small for us so a 1bd is more likely unless we do every other year and do a 2bd. Carpeting isn’t a total deal breaker but really don’t prefer it because we do have more issues with it but they do a medical grade clean for us.

Staying at MK area or perhaps Beach Club would be my preferred options only based on how we always travel. With the differences in prices and years left or availability wasn’t sure which is the best value or the quirks of each such as CC and too few studios

First, the 175-225 points is too many if you're planning to still go every other year and stay in studios. You would want to use banking or borrowing to combine 2 years worth of points so you'd only need 1/2 of what you would typically use. In Jan-Feb a studio at CCV would typically be in the range of 107-127 so something in the range of even 50 pts to 65 points would cover you every other year. Double that would get you a 1BR every other year. 175-225 is the range of getting a 1BR every year if that's the plan going forward.

I'd be wary of CCV just for studios though. It is the only resort I know of that ended up with no carpet in the studios but many of the 1BR's at various resort now have carpet only in the master bedroom and have the vinyl flooring out in the living areas. As mentioned though it's 100% up to DVC what they do in refurbs. The units all had carpet and they took it out of the living areas. If carpet comes back in popularity or they have trouble with the durability of the vinyl then carpet may come back into any of them in a future refurb - including CCV.

FWIW - the pricing of BCV and the short number of years leaves it one of the worst "values" in DVC. If you want to stay there it may still be worthwhile but you won't be getting as much value as you could with other resorts.

Last edited:
First, the 175-225 points is too many if you're planning to still go every other year and stay in studios. You would want to use banking or borrowing to combine 2 years worth of points so you'd only need 1/2 of what you would typically use. In Jan-Feb a studio at CCV would typically be in the range of 107-127 so something in the range of even 50 pts to 65 points would cover you every other year. Double that would get you a 1BR every other year. 175-225 is the range of getting a 1BR every year if that's the plan going forward.

I'd be wary of CCV just for studios though. It is the only resort I know of that ended up with no carpet in the studios but many of the 1BR's at various resort now have carpet only in the master bedroom and have the vinyl flooring out in the living areas. As mentioned though it's 100% up to DVC what they do in refurbs. The units all had carpet and they took it out of the living areas. If carpet comes back in popularity or they have trouble with the durability of the vinyl then carpet may come back into any of them in a future refurb - including CCV.

FWIW - the pricing of BCV and the short number of years leaves it one of the worst "values" in DVC. If you want to stay there it may still be worthwhile but you won't be getting as much value as you could with other resorts.
Disney actually had someone call me after an issue we had and said they are going more to the laminates or LVP flooring for cleaning and trying to be more sensitive to those who have allergy sensitivities and needs. I must have mistyped if it said I am going for Studios. I only recall replying to someone who asked and said we stayed in them now but my kids are little but would be more 1bd. We do every year now for 8-9 nights so a 1bd in that range or if we do every other and take 2 trips or a grandparent I think the points we are figuring are pretty realistic. Wilderness Lodge is my first choice and good about BC because proximity to Epcot only perk for us

Disney actually had someone call me after an issue we had and said they are going more to the laminates or LVP flooring for cleaning and trying to be more sensitive to those who have allergy sensitivities and needs.
Until management changes. Seriously, with DVC you have to keep in mind that policy changes with the wind, and the people running the show 20 years from now are likely doing beer bongs behind their mom's garage right now before going back to high school in the fall.

Disney actually had someone call me after an issue we had and said they are going more to the laminates or LVP flooring for cleaning and trying to be more sensitive to those who have allergy sensitivities and needs. I must have mistyped if it said I am going for Studios. I only recall replying to someone who asked and said we stayed in them now but my kids are little but would be more 1bd. We do every year now for 8-9 nights so a 1bd in that range or if we do every other and take 2 trips or a grandparent I think the points we are figuring are pretty realistic. Wilderness Lodge is my first choice and good about BC because proximity to Epcot only perk for us

FWIW OKW was refurbed since CCV came on with it's laminates and got carpet in the studios and the master bedrooms. It all just depends on the flavor of the moment of whomever is making those decisions at the time.

There is 26 years difference in the end dates for CCV (2068) vs BRV (2042). There are only 23 years left on the BRV lease, this might not affect your vacations, but it probably will affect your resale value if you plan (or have to) sell your points. CCV at $150/point right now isn't a bad value over all.

That being said, I would be look want to make sure that I had enough points to get a 1 bedroom at CCV, due to the shortage of studios. Your usual travel dates in January and February shouldn't be a problem, but if you are vacationing during a Run Disney Weekend, you might not be able to get a Friday, Saturday, Sunday room.

You say your kids are young. Is there a chance you may have another? If so, you would have to stay in 2 bedrooms at CCV.

Just to add, for some years people have been saying buy where you want to stay. Every trip I see that mantra is more and more true.

I would add "Buy where you want to stay.....and make your reservations 7 to 11 months in advance." I agree that each year the mantra is more and more true.

I keep reading so much I am confused - with CC having some booming challenges is it a wise one for a home resort? Boulder Ridge ends sooner but is that value not as good? Any other suggestions? Riviera direct? Welcome any suggestions thanks
Yes BR is a shorter contract but the rooms themselves would actually give you a little more flexibility. The studios at BR can accommodate 5, the 1 BR as well (but you have to provide you own bedding). Whereas at CCV if you ever needed to sleep 5 you would have to get a 2BR- so more points.

If you plan on keeping to an every other year pattern then you technically need 1/2 the points for your contract. So for an example, you want one week in February in a CCV 1BR -- this would cost 268 points, with banking or borrowing you would really only need to buy 134 points - or a 150 point contract.

I think you need to start with what your budget is, then make a a pro/con list for each resort you are considering. CCV is very difficult to book, especially studios, so if you want this resort i would consider buying and staying in 1BR. If your family might grow to 3 kids then this might be a deal breaker for CCV because then you would need more points for 2BR.

If you want to see point cost and room occupancy at a glance go to davids DVC rental site. Their cost calculator is great -- you put in your dates and then it will give you the points cost for all resorts and all room categories.

Yes BR is a shorter contract but the rooms themselves would actually give you a little more flexibility. The studios at BR can accommodate 5, the 1 BR as well (but you have to provide you own bedding). Whereas at CCV if you ever needed to sleep 5 you would have to get a 2BR- so more points.

If you plan on keeping to an every other year pattern then you technically need 1/2 the points for your contract. So for an example, you want one week in February in a CCV 1BR -- this would cost 268 points, with banking or borrowing you would really only need to buy 134 points - or a 150 point contract.

I think you need to start with what your budget is, then make a a pro/con list for each resort you are considering. CCV is very difficult to book, especially studios, so if you want this resort i would consider buying and staying in 1BR. If your family might grow to 3 kids then this might be a deal breaker for CCV because then you would need more points for 2BR.

If you want to see point cost and room occupancy at a glance go to davids DVC rental site. Their cost calculator is great -- you put in your dates and then it will give you the points cost for all resorts and all room categories.
There is a point calculator right here on the DIS on the DVC page (not the DVC Boards).

There is a point calculator right here on the DIS on the DVC page (not the DVC Boards).
I didn't realize there was one on these boards. I did check it out. It really isn't as user friendly as the Davids calculator. The Davids calculator can provide you all resorts, all room types and points cost in one at-a-glance report. The one on this site unfortunately only lets you look at one resort at time and one room category. For someone in the research phase of DVC it is really helpful to see the differences in points cost across all resort in one spot. Plus you can at-a-glance see the room occupancy, although it is tricky to know if those 1BR really have an actual bed for the the 5th person or just "can be accommodated".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter