DVC cancellation query

Chol

Mouseketeer
Hi

I have two DVC bookings for October that I rented through a well known DVC rental agency. I can't cancel but wanted to see if they could market it to someone else, someone local, that could go because I probably won't be able to travel from Australia by then. Sorry, can't help?

Wouldn't that be a win for everyone involved? If they find soneone by Oct I get refunded, someone who can go gets to book a room, the rental agency makes even more money from re-listing and the owner keeps the points rented out. Seems bizarre to me.

Hi

I have two DVC bookings for October that I rented through a well known DVC rental agency. I can't cancel but wanted to see if they could market it to someone else, someone local, that could go because I probably won't be able to travel from Australia by then. Sorry, can't help?

Wouldn't that be a win for everyone involved? If they find soneone by Oct I get refunded, someone who can go gets to book a room, the rental agency makes even more money from re-listing and the owner keeps the points rented out. Seems bizarre to me.

Look at your contract to see if you can change the names of the guests and, if so, market it yourself. If you can't change the lead guest but can change all other names, make sure you say in your post the number of guests that can be added to the room (minus one for you).

Owner keeps points rented out and rental agency keeps your money so this is causing them more work.

Unfortunately that is the way most rentals work, especially through brokers.

No changes and no cancellations. I know my contract doesn’t require me to change names unless they are spelled wrong

Many owners who use brokers and pay the fee is so they don’t have to do changes, etc and it’s a one and done.

Maybe by then you would be able to come.

Thanks for the replies. I can't change the lead so would be 3 people total per room as they just studios: BKT Lake Vw and AKL Jambo Sav Vw.

So would I just use my own contract, like an owner would? What if they trash the place, I guess I'd be responsible lol

Unfortunately that is the way most rentals work, especially through brokers.

No changes and no cancellations. I know my contract doesn’t require me to change names unless they are spelled wrong

Many owners who use brokers and pay the fee is so they don’t have to do changes, etc and it’s a one and done.

Maybe by then you would be able to come.

I'd like to think by October too, but my state is talking about maybe opening local borders by September, let alone international arrivals. I am still waiting till the last minute to cancel due to the dynamic changes but at the same time need to plan for cancellation. Local demand may be high by Oct so no point in me taking up a room some other family wants.

Thanks for the replies. I can't change the lead so would be 3 people total per room as they just studios: BKT Lake Vw and AKL Jambo Sav Vw.

So would I just use my own contract, like an owner would? What if they trash the

place, I guess I'd be responsible lol

Are you suggesting that you think you can sublet this on your own????

If I were the owner of the points you rented, I would be most unhappy to find out that a renter sent someone else in their place. In fact, the contract is between you, the owner and the broker. Changing guests is breaking that contract. Also, renters can’t change the names on the reservation, only the owner can. I would never agree to changing the names on a reservation and breaking the contract - I would never open myself up to that potential liability.

Before everyone gets too excited, I have no idea how it works, which is why I'm here asking the question. I am just repeating what the rental company and people here are saying. So you saying you can't do that now? I'm confused. I assumed that obviously the owner would be kept in the loop but maybe I'm wrong. Why can't it be re-marketed as a confirmed reservation?

The reason the broker my not be allowing it is because the contracts are usually written that say no changes and non refundable,

Owners pay the broker not to have to do things a second time, So, technically, they could ask an owner if they were willing. But, given the number of reservations that might need to be changed, this broker has decided not to allow changes foe reservations that may be during an open period

Given that DVC resorts and parks will be open in a October, that is less likely now. It is one of the big risks of renting...once booked, you are stuck going or you are out your funds

Before everyone gets too excited, I have no idea how it works, which is why I'm here asking the question. I am just repeating what the rental company and people here are saying. So you saying you can't do that now? I'm confused. I assumed that obviously the owner would be kept in the loop but maybe I'm wrong. Why can't it be re-marketed as a confirmed reservation?

That's why I said to go look at the rental contract to see what it allows.

Thanks for the replies, well I had a look at the contract and I understand. I definitely would not re-market this myself. I should have worked this out really as it seems obvious now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!