DVC changes you

Twenty years nearly of owning DVC....so we need to go every year now...the grand kids were raised mostly at the BWV's....lol...the oldest honeymooned at AKL 4 yrs ago!! Time flys....Most of the family 12 of them still want to come with....so there will be 8 of us there in Feb 2020...4 will be the grands.......It worked well for us...

We bought in 2006 after years of debate. I regret not buying sooner. we have been at least yearly since. We have taken adult children and there girlfriends several times. We have a trip planned for December and then in October with them. We bought BCV as we loved F & W and have never regretted it.

We bought in 2006 after years of debate. I regret not buying sooner. we have been at least yearly since. We have taken adult children and there girlfriends several times. We have a trip planned for December and then in October with them. We bought BCV as we loved F & W and have never regretted it.

Don’t regret it - at least that’s what I think. You made the best decision you could in the moment. I remember my family discussing a DVC in the 90s. Buying in was not an option, but boy it would have been a great investment!

I don’t think I would have gone regularly in my 20s or 30s. DVC would have been cheaper, but now, with DD2, I will get my use out of it!

We chose DVC because we are a childless millennial couple and had planned on staying at the Polynesian for our honeymoon. Since we were going to spend thousands of dollars on a Poly reservation (either through disney or renting points), it made sense to spend a few extra thousand and own our resale points ourselves for many decades to come. because we are younger (late 20s) we are looking forward to many decades of vacations to Orlando, Hawaii, and California if we're lucky. we also don't need to go to every trip planning on riding every ride and rope drop every day.

Last edited:
We were burnt by another time share purchase and got out during the op-out period.
When we first heard of DVC we knew we would purchase due to the trust we put in Disney.
Congrats on understanding that DVC is more that just the parks, it becomes a place to truly relax and enjoy the whole place. The acceptance that you will not need to do everything every time is something that most DVC members take a few trips to realize. Outside the parks is a whole different world just within the WDW property.

We just bought at BW and nearing the empty nest stage with one of 4 left in high school. Disney has always meant family time. It’s a sweet memory.
We are going with our youngest 2 in May for our first DVC stay, Having DVC does change the way I’m planning for the trip. I’ve already factored in the resort time. The pace has changed in a good way and we haven’t even had our 1st trip😊

I think some of it is DVC and I think the other half is being disney veterans.
Sure, having dvc points helps to ensure/encourage you to vacation at disney. However, I think the frequent trips creates the relaxed pace to not have to be in the parks every waking moment. That can change dramatically depending on if you have children with you on a particular trip, and what their ages are.
We've had two very short child free trips, and the pace of those is far more relaxed I must say. I love going with my son, but on occasion it's nice to have time with just my wife.

I am a couple of weeks into ROFR and waiting (not patiently). And recently, I was thinking of how much my mindset changed as I went through this process.

Five years ago, I could never imagine going to WDW every year, wanting a kitchen, or doing laundry on vacation.

Now, I have DD2, and I want to give her an annual, traditional vacation each year. She loved WDW. I want to be able to spend time at the pool, walk around the parks at a relaxed pace, and force myself to disconnect from work. I want the freedom to make breakfast in the morning, not pack 10 days worth of clothes, and space for the family.

After considering our travel styles and my family, I realized I would spend a fortune entertaining us at the beach or mountains. When we travel, we do stuff - we do not pay for a hotel room to sit in the room. The DVC villas will allow us to have a longer, relaxed vacation each year, with so much to do at our fingertips.

This process has shown me just how different families are, and is the perfect example of what works for one does not work for another. I am in ROFR for AKV, because I wanted a unique, well themed hotel, good value, with elevators. I cannot wait to start planning (another perk for me - the research and planning are enjoyable breaks from my work).

Why did you choose DVC? What made it different than other options?
Your comment about wanting to disconnect from work is one of the big reasons I love our DVC. When we go to WDW, we stay on-site and I can just enjoy the bubble. If I turn on the TV while we are there, I watch HGTV or some cable channel that we don't get at home. If there is inclement weather going on around us, I might turn on the Weather channel, but otherwise, I don't watch any TV.
Having our DVC points means we will be back year after year, so when we are there, we are more relaxed and not rushed to try to cram everything in. We make a few fast pass reservations for the rides we know we really want to do and after that we just wing it. We like to take time to just wander around the resorts. AKL is one of my favorite places for doing that! I love looking at the animals and visiting with the CM's there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter