• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC cutting out perks\extras are we too big?

deerh

DIS Veteran
Just wondering why all the "cutbacks" in little things in DVC. No coasters in OKW, pool hopping at AKL, valet parking (although that is not an issue YET with DVC members). Are we getting too big? In a few years, it went from 40000 members to over 60000 members, and I wonder if this is the reason? Longer hold times for MS, VM changes, etc. Is this the reason for these changes or is the labor problems in Orlando\U.S.A, or the recession the reason? Any thoughts on this? I am NOT overly concerned with these, but it could be a problem later. For instance, I see no pool hopping at BYC, after BCV is built, they will start charging for valet parking sooner rather than later. Just wondering what the DVC folks thought about this.......
Any comments?
deerh

I think we all knew that DVC was going to grow! It's such a great thing. I don't remember the OKW coasters????

Anyhow, I never valet and although MS is a rather long wait. I love making those calls! I usually only make about 6 calls a year, so its not that concerning to me.

As for the perks, well, yes. I started 6 years ago at my job and I was the 468 employee. After October, we will be over 1000 employees. Every year, my bonus and stock options are less. But I never complain. Maybe one year they will do without altogether (and you won't hear me complain).

Enjoy it while it lasts..........

never knew we even had coasters available at OKW... So, the loss of them doesn't concern me. I don't view valet parking as having anything to do with DVC..it was something Disney had at all deluxe resorts..in fact, I view the recent decision to charge $6. per day, but not to DVC members at VWV and VWL as a new perk..they could be charging us too.

Pool hopping..not our thing either. Haven't done it, probably never will. It is a nice perk for those who enjoy it.

I don't feel that we have lost any ground, altough I think some of the original DVC members may, as they do remember a lot of nice extras in the villas, like fluffy peach towels etc. We've only been members since 1997, and outside of remembering we had place mats (which I never used) I honestly can't say that I've lost any perks that I concerned about.

Sometimes there is strength in numbers...who knows, maybe as we continue to grow Disney will see the value of our return trips every year and offer us a better discount on tickets. (I can dream can't I!)

Maybe it's just me, but I see the expansion of the system as being a big positive.

When we joined, it was just the one resort, the Vacation Club, now known as Old Key West.

I can't believe how many Vacation Club resorts that I can now choose from, not to mention the Cruises and so many of the other Disney Resorts.

To me, it's only gotten better.:)

Keep in mind that we DVC members pay DVC resort operating expenses through our annual dues. So we pay for any "perk/extras."

For example, DVC no longer supplies free extra shampoos and soaps. Great! I'm glad I'm not subsidizing the members who were getting extra soaps and shampoos to bring home as souvenirs. (They still supply us with plenty of soap and shampoo for our stays.)

As long as DVC management continues provide clean, well-maintained accomodations, fully stocked with dinnerware and cookware, I'm happy. I hope that DVC goes after any members (and cash guests) who steal the dinnerware, cookware, towels, sofas, TVs, or whatever! I don't want to subsidize them either.

As a timeshare owner, I know that some of the budget goes toward raplacing stolen items. That's a shame, but it's part of the price we pay for "sharing" our resort condos. But if non-essential items, like coasters, are stolen over and over, it's makes sense to eliminate them. (Yes, our family used the OKW coasters to protect the furniture, although the hard finish on the furniture undoubtedly makes the use of coasters unnecessary.)

I welcome any extras/perks that are paid for out of the DVC marketing budget -- but I appreciate DVC management's efforts to control increases in the annual dues by keeping operating expenses under control.

I could understand when they took away the salt and pepper shakers--made sense for sanitary reasons. Even the coasters, napkins, napkin rings and placemats were probably expendable. But they also took away the mixer. Now, admittedly, probably very few people use the mixer but it makes me wonder which appliance will go next--the blender, the toaster?? Why eliminate appliances?? That worries me a bit. My guess is that these things were "growing legs and walking away"--which is a sad statement--and they probably felt they had to do it for economic reasons. I wonder if we can get any of these things if we need them by asking housekeeping--or are they gone entirely?

MaryJo and Phil
All things are always available from housekeeping. The problem is you have to wait for them. I had to call for a mixer last December when I went to make pancakes and it wasn't there. I suggest you check what is in the villa at the beginning of your stay so you can request an item you need before you actually need it. It is a sorry comentary on our culture that people feel they have to take something that doesn't belong to them. I think the mixers were probably easy to walk off too since they are the small hand type.

Though I cannot guess as to reasons for changes in kitchen type things like coasters, mixers, etc., there are some things that probaly do have to do with size increase (which actually went from about 34,000 to the current close to 60,000 in less than 3 years). Pool hopping is the prime example as they shut it down for particularly busy seasons and thus avoid DVC members from causing overcrowding. However, I doubt pool hopping will end at the BC/YC pool after BCV opens--logically they will continue to allow pool hopping to where a DVC resort is (with the exception of the high season restrictiions). Valet service is different. Disney decided to implement a charge for it at its hotels to offset the expense of its valet services.They will likely not make a charge for DVC members at DVC resorts in the future. The reason is not because it is a nice perk they are granting us. Far from it. The reason is that part of your dues go to pay for the valet service (the DVC portion of the costs of running the resorts applicable to employees and services) and thus to charge us would effectively be charging us for the same service twice.

We bought into DVC to stay in DVC units. We wanted to have a "fixed" price for our vacations. We would not use points for DC or DCL, always thought these points were too expensive. We don't pool hop. We use the pool at our own resort, not crazy about putting on swim gear, driving to another resort and schlepping through just to use a pool. Valet we love at BWV and VWL...very convenient, but I feel like that's an added perk since DVC still doesn't have to pay. All things considered I still see DVC as a huge GAIN in our vacation style, not a loss.

In July I still had a mixer at OKW, called for one at VWL, no big deal.

I sadly agree with the "theft theory" as others have pointed out. What do you think would happen if our towels said DVC or BWV, OKW, WLV, etc. There would be a LOT of people who would take them home as cool "free" souvenirs; after all they really did pay for them, didn't they? :confused: I want my costs contained and it was the largest fear factor that almost made us say no. A 15% cap? What are they, nuts? But when we saw the average of only a few percent /yr. we felt they WERE doing their best and the 15% cap was just a safety net. Frills are nice but someone has to pay for them.

I welcome any extras/perks that are paid for out of the DVC marketing budget -- but I appreciate DVC management's efforts to control increases in the annual dues by keeping operating expenses under control.

Werner, well said! I agree. I am not mad at DVC by any means. I am a neophyte by DVC standards, (only been a member for 2 years), but I am amazed by what DVC does, like go up in points for CC, etc. I am just wondering if this is industry standard? All and all DVC is great, I love it, and one of the best decisions I ever made, just wondering like other posts, WHO makes the decisions to cut back on room service, coasters, pool hopping,etc and is this the TS norm? If it is, ok, just wondering if people like the changes. After all, everyone says CHANGE IS GOOD!!
deerh:)

Within reason, economies of scale would dictate that things should get cheaper as volume grows. Items such the "coaster issue" should be viewed as gauges, not incidents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter