DVC Direct Purchase Old Key West

Rockenroller

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I am looking to make a direct DVC purchase but looking for OKW not the current selling Riviera resort, or SSR which they have a good supply of. I have a guide and have been placed on a list.

Does anyone know how this list works and how likely I am to get 100 or 200 direct points this way?

Do I need to keep chasing the guide or will they keep on top of this and get back to me when the points are available?

I am from the UK and have been told that I can still purchase when I return to the UK as long as it’s paid cash and not on finance. Does anyone have any clarity on thisor have done this before as unlikely to source these point before I return to the UK?

The reason for going direct is to get the annual passes discount from member benefits. Also considered 100 points riviera to get the member perks but not keen on the resale restrictions on this resort and the high maintenance fees and points required for stays.

Any help appreciated.

I can’t comment on the financing and cash aspect with purchasing from the UK, but I do know they will stay on top of it and when the points are available, they will call.

What UY are you looking for? That can make a difference. From what I have read, it seems a few months is the time frame for OKW.

Thanks for the reply. Sept or Oct is ideal however will also consider June/July/Aug. If Disney has the points are they able to change the use year to suit my needs when I am purchasing them?

We have recently heard they can. Since Sept and Oct are already in the 2019 UY, it may come in faster.

Right now, if you had wanted Dec UY, it might be longer because if they don’t have 2018 points to give you, they can’t sell you Dec.

Be sure that they know which ones are your top choices. Just an FYI, the UYs are Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun, Aug, Sept, Oct and Dec.

If I would buy OKW direct (March use year), before the end of the year, would I receive 2019 points and would they bank them for me? Thanks

If I would buy OKW direct (March use year), before the end of the year, would I receive 2019 points and would they bank them for me? Thanks

Yes, When you buy direct, you always receive current UY points. So with a March UY, you are in your 2019 UY so you will receive those. Disney will always allow banking of newly bought direct points to be banked, even after the banking deadline. They will even allow you to unborrow points and replace them in reservations with newly bought direct points, providing they can be used...ie: if not the same home resort, they’d only allow it if reservation using borrowed points was booked 7 months or less,

MFs owed for 2019 would be from purchase date until the end of this year.

I recently became a DVC member from UK via AKL resale and I couldn’t see how buying direct made financial sense in comparison to the Disney website deals we get with Free Dining/ ticket discounts and $200 gift card offers. Resale is even pretty close

I’m genuinely interested how you came to this decision, are you really buying the amount of merch to cover all of this?

Last edited:
If you do go ahead then I would recommend that you put as much as you can on a bank exchange rate credit card such as Halifax Clarity and then pay the balance via XE if you have to wire that over

As someone with an OKW contract going through ROFR.. this thread FILLS me with anxiety! :)

I recently became a DVC member from UK via AKL resale and I couldn’t see how buying direct made financial sense in comparison to the Disney website deals we get with Free Dining/ ticket discounts and $200 gift card offers. Resale is even pretty close

I’m genuinely interested how you came to this decision, are you really buying the amount of merch to cover all of this?
I tried resale a couple of times for OKW 2057 and the contracts kept getting ROFR. It looks like you need to be a bit above $100 to get through. I was just below that and the points were always stripped. Started to panic with Disney changing the rules re min points and resale restrictions etc with riviera, plus direct price increases on the 1st November and decided to try direct. paid $155 per or so around $50 pt extra. It should come with 2019 points which the ones I was looking at resale didn’t so I suppose if you look at that brings it down to around $33 -$35 extra. I have a family of 5 and currently go once per year, so looking to stretch the annual pass over that time to get some savings there, so fingers crossed it doesn’t get removed.

I tried resale a couple of times for OKW 2057 and the contracts kept getting ROFR. It looks like you need to be a bit above $100 to get through. I was just below that and the points were always stripped. Started to panic with Disney changing the rules re min points and resale restrictions etc with riviera, plus direct price increases on the 1st November and decided to try direct. paid $155 per or so around $50 pt extra. It should come with 2019 points which the ones I was looking at resale didn’t so I suppose if you look at that brings it down to around $33 -$35 extra. I have a family of 5 and currently go once per year, so looking to stretch the annual pass over that time to get some savings there, so fingers crossed it doesn’t get removed.
The free dining is excellent value, but quick service does get a bit boring for us. We usually go to Florida for between 17-21 days in October and stay in Disney for around 10 to 12 days. Have done Disney Dining once which was great but spent hours jumping about hotels etc for reservations. If free dining does come back for October I would probably buy it for the 10-12 days again and the use the DVC for the remainder. It would be for the moderate resort thought as the deluxe are crazy prices. And the last reason was that I bought 2 x 100 points so that I could gift to my children when I get board and they retain the member benefits if they still exist. I am not against resale and appreciate the value saved by doing so, I just got bored losing the contracts to ROFR. I will be looking to add another contract in a few months and will be going resale for that.

One way to maximize the AP for once a year trips is to try and stagger them 51weeks apart if you can. This way, you don’t have to buy but every other year.

Hi Sandi! I’m interested in what you are referring to with the 15 month staggering method. May I ask for clarification? Thanks!

If you can visit one week early you can get 2 trips out of one pass. We did this for years before DVC. We went 2nd week in August on year 1 and 1st week in August on year 2.

Then we were only buying an AP every other year. At the time, the cost was like $150 more person to buy the AP, but it covered our second trip of 5 to 6 nights,

For example, a 7 day park hopper for summer will run around $511 before tax at UT. That would be $1122 for two trips, once a year. An AP is $699 for blue card members, A savings of $323 a person. Depending on size of family, this can add up quite a bit over a few years!

Of course, the bad thing is once you have an AP, it’s a lot easier to want to squeeze in an extra trip! Lol

Last edited:
If you can visit one week early you can get 2 trips out of one pass. We did this for years before DVC. We went 2nd week in August on year 1 and 1st week in August on year 2.

Then we were only buying an AP every other year. At the time, the cost was like $150 more person to buy the AP, but it covered our second trip of 5 to 6 nights,

For example, a 7 day park hopper for summer will run around $511 before tax at UT. That would be $1122 for two trips, once a year. An AP is $699 for blue card members, A savings of $323 a person. Depending on size of family, this can add up quite a bit over a few years!

Of course, the bad thing is once you have an AP, it’s a lot easier to want to squeeze in an extra trip! Lol
We still do this, only we do a non-park visit every 3rd year, so we're buying APs (GOLD) every 3 years )
That's a real savings for us! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!