DVC Exercising ROFR

When did they sell out? I just bought SSR direct a couple of weeks ago.
I spoke with my guide today as he was following up with me on a direct inquiry I had made about RIV and SSR. He said they didn't have any SSR points right now, and I would go on the wait list. He said it would be short because they were told they would be getting SSR points soon. I didn't ask about where the points were coming from, but maybe this is the answer?

Glad my SSR contract passed 2 weeks ago.
I also saw a river otter family on my backpacking trip this weekend. My timing has been good the last couple week!

I think its interesting that all of the contracts they took are 200+ points, when those are they very contracts that have tended to linger longer on the resale market and attract lower prices.
It makes me think they are just grabbing larger volumes of points in bigger chunks (and the larger ones in theory should be cheaper on a per point basis, but none of those SSR contracts were crazy low).

I spoke with my guide today as he was following up with me on a direct inquiry I had made about RIV and SSR. He said they didn't have any SSR points right now, and I would go on the wait list. He said it would be short because they were told they would be getting SSR points soon. I didn't ask about where the points were coming from, but maybe this is the answer?

Ah, ok. I wonder if I was one of the last to get points direct before running out. Glad my resale contract didn’t get taken on Monday.

I think the lack of ROFR while the sales office was closed was almost entirely due to no direct sales happening. Now that direct sales are happening again Disney has to ROFR contracts to resell them.
Is buying direct really a desirable purchase right now? I just purchased my first resale and once I see how Disney sorts out direct buying then I’ll decide about buying direct. All the direct benefits are basically useless right now. You can not even buy an AP if your a new member. I’m hoping they are buying back because they plan to have a great offer soon for buying direct and want the resorts available.

So, unless those resales are down in the low 40s or so, DVD is better off building a shiny new resort and selling that for $165, because the cost basis is lower.
...yes, on paper and in theory, but if they’re running a wait list they can turn the sale so quickly that cost basis no longer really factors into the equation. In any case, right now I’m assuming they’re more focused on putting dollars in the bank than maximizing margins.
I think its interesting that all of the contracts they took are 200+ points, when those are the very contracts that have tended to linger longer on the resale market and attract lower prices.
I assume the’ll split those up as needed, it’s just the cheapest way for them to get points.

Disagree to some extent, building the new resort will result in a greater margin, but it takes 2 years to build + 3 years to sell. If I can buy back points at $100 and sell them a month later for $165, I can do that 20 times before I finish selling out that shiny new building. Plus, I take on no risk because someone has already told me that are looking to buy at $165. So while my gross margin may be less, I can recycle my capital over and over and over again generating significantly more profits with no risk.

Yup, make your money on the initial direct sale and then even more on that same contract in resale.

I just went on the wait list for OKW direct points today, my guide assured me they'd have the points by next week. So yeah, I'm pretty sure they are amping up to continue utilizing ROFR.

...yes, on paper and in theory, but if they’re running a wait list they can turn the sale so quickly that cost basis no longer really factors into the equation. In any case, right now I’m assuming they’re more focused on putting dollars in the bank than maximizing margins.

I assume the’ll split those up as needed, it’s just the cheapest way for them to get points.
Historically however the larger contracts even when cheaper made it through over smaller contracts.

Historically however the larger contracts even when cheaper made it through over smaller contracts.
I've always found that to be strange. You would think that they would be looking at purchasing the massive contracts at lower prices because they can break them up. Obviously assuming demand for points at the given resort.

I've always found that to be strange. You would think that they would be looking at purchasing the massive contracts at lower prices because they can break them up. Obviously assuming demand for points at the given resort.
I always thought that too however last year when I had researched it more in depth it seemed that it was the exact opposite. Did you find that to be true as well?

I always thought that too however last year when I had researched it more in depth it seemed that it was the exact opposite. Did you find that to be true as well?
Yes, I agree with that. I suppose the only issue with the very large contracts is that they sit on the market so long and Disney needs it to have an accepted offer and for it to be sent to ROFR in order to grab it. With a lower per point cost and only one set of closing fees you would think they would like those.

Is buying direct really a desirable purchase right now? I just purchased my first resale and once I see how Disney sorts out direct buying then I’ll decide about buying direct. All the direct benefits are basically useless right now. You can not even buy an AP if your a new member. I’m hoping they are buying back because they plan to have a great offer soon for buying direct and want the resorts available.
Surprisingly yes most likely. Informed disboard readers aren’t among them usually. There was a lot of pent up demand while the parks were closed and all the dvc sales people were furloughed. So nothing could be sold direct since March until late June or early July. This leads me to believe Disney burned through their inventory and needs more for waitlist requests. It matches what people are saying on here and Facebook.

I’m guessing everything bought back is resold nearly instantly.

Surprisingly yes most likely. Informed disboard readers aren’t among them usually. There was a lot of pent up demand while the parks were closed and all the dvc sales people were furloughed. So nothing could be sold direct since March until late June or early July. This leads me to believe Disney burned through their inventory and needs more for waitlist requests. It matches what people are saying on here and Facebook.

I’m guessing everything bought back is resold nearly instantly.
Must be. I was just talking to them about buying direct at AKL and OKW last week and they were available.

Does anyone know which resorts currently have direct wait lists?
Sounds like OKW and SSR... any others?

Who's buying direct!... please stop so my resale contract goes through :P

I guess the FOMO force is stronger than I thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter