DVC Exercising ROFR

What UY did you request?
UY assignments no longer matter on direct sale - a year or so ago, DVC changed the rules so that they could repackage their contracts as any UY they wanted to sell.

UY assignments no longer matter on direct sale - a year or so ago, DVC changed the rules so that they could repackage their contracts as any UY they wanted to sell.
My understand is that they can’t change the UY of a contract however they can change the UY of the points.

that means if they have a buyer for a SSR February contract then they can take points from an ie SSR September UY Loaded contract and move the points from that contract to the February contract and change the UY of the required points.

the September contract remains a September contract but now without points.

When it comes to Disney exercising their ROFR again, we need to look at the bigger picture of Disney Vacation Club's direct sales. While we can argue until we are blue in the face whether Disney's Riviera Resort is selling well, what can't be argued is that Riviera is not selling as well as they had hoped it would. That being the case, the current pandemic has allowed them to re-evaluate their sales technique. Instead of a preview center, DVC now has Villas available in each Disney Vacation Club property that you can tour throughout Walt Disney World.

So imagine for a minute that you are touring a Cascade Cabin at Copper Creek or a Grand Villa at the Grand Floridian as your first ever exposure to DVC. You are then given another resort option to purchase, but it is not the one you fell in love with and see you and your family staying at for the next 40-50 years. What are a few more thousand dollars to get that sold-out resort and that vacation dream you want? I believe this is exactly the line of thinking Disney wants people to have moving forward. They will still get plenty of people who opt to purchase the shiny new Riviera Resort due to price or liking its looks more, but why not appeal to the others and make money off those points that they can scoop up and repackage for double what they paid to get them? I think what we are seeing is a cultural shift in how DVC does business, and it is a move many of us have been surprised hasn't occured sooner.

I agree with pkrieger2287. We were just on property this week, did some resort hopping, and ended up purchasing a direct fixed week at Grand Floridian. I am fairly convinced that they had to 'find' points for us (hence them choosing ROFR). I feel this new method of viewing is superior as it allows us to truly 'try out' each of the resorts.

When it comes to Disney exercising their ROFR again, we need to look at the bigger picture of Disney Vacation Club's direct sales. While we can argue until we are blue in the face whether Disney's Riviera Resort is selling well, what can't be argued is that Riviera is not selling as well as they had hoped it would. That being the case, the current pandemic has allowed them to re-evaluate their sales technique. Instead of a preview center, DVC now has Villas available in each Disney Vacation Club property that you can tour throughout Walt Disney World.

So imagine for a minute that you are touring a Cascade Cabin at Copper Creek or a Grand Villa at the Grand Floridian as your first ever exposure to DVC. You are then given another resort option to purchase, but it is not the one you fell in love with and see you and your family staying at for the next 40-50 years. What are a few more thousand dollars to get that sold-out resort and that vacation dream you want? I believe this is exactly the line of thinking Disney wants people to have moving forward. They will still get plenty of people who opt to purchase the shiny new Riviera Resort due to price or liking its looks more, but why not appeal to the others and make money off those points that they can scoop up and repackage for double what they paid to get them? I think what we are seeing is a cultural shift in how DVC does business, and it is a move many of us have been surprised hasn't occured sooner.
In a normal environment I would say this strategy is too margin dilutive, but in this environment I think that makes all the sense in the world.

I completely agree. If they are truly putting a delay/stop on Reflections, then they are basically going to have to take over the resale market to have any DVC to sell after Riviera runs out. And with Disney so heavily using Riviera rooms for cash guests, I wouldn’t doubt if they’re happy to sell that one a bit slower even.

I have had an offer accepted on SSR for $82pp for 175.

98 points for 2020 and175 going forward.

Unlikely to pass ROFR

I agree with pkrieger2287. We were just on property this week, did some resort hopping, and ended up purchasing a direct fixed week at Grand Floridian. I am fairly convinced that they had to 'find' points for us (hence them choosing ROFR). I feel this new method of viewing is superior as it allows us to truly 'try out' each of the resorts.

They sold you a fixed week at VGF this week? Interesting - thought they stopped this once a resort sold out.

Wait your positive they sold a fixed week to you for VGF this week? Did they say the specific week that was open or could you just choose?

I thought no fixed weeks on vgf?

When it was new but they stopped selling them after it sold out supposedly. Maybe they brought them back because sales are that bad?

I think the poster needs to clarify and make sure the fixed week addendum is in their contract. Maybe Disney bought back a fixed week so they resold it?

OMG. I don't even think those are fire sale prices. I bought my SSR for less than that in 2019!!!!!!

I guess Disney thinks things will be back to normal soon. I guess that's good news?

Those are also larger point contracts (200+), which is interesting. Less interested in taking smaller point contracts I suppose?

They are limited on how many they can sell depending on the property and most are already gone, because VGF is so small. They do pop up in resale.

From what I heard though once the resort sells out they just stop offering fixed weeks though. Its why POLY and VGF didn't have fixed weeks for direct sale supposedly anymore? Maybe that information is incorrect then?

Interesting choice of contracts to ROFR. I'll believe ROFR is truly back when we see this over a period of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter