EAHyatt

Earning My Ears
Hello All,

I’m fairly new to the research aspect of buying resale, learning so much on the forum!
Can anyone clarify- when purchasing a resale contract is there a set expiration date on all contracts per each resort, or do they vary? I saw a poster mention that an OKW contract had a 2057 exp date- is that good? Something I should look for in a contract?
What happens when 2057 rolls around for this buyer? What happens to the investment you’ve made? I understand dvc is a real estate purchase, but my home in NY doesn’t “expire”, so I guess I’m just wondering what the fine print is here...

Thanks so much!!

If you Google DVC contract end date you will get a list stating the end date for each resort.

Everything expires the same year. Except is that OK being 47 and 57 I think it is.

OKC tried offering an extension on the contract to owners - it was a big mess. (that's why some OKC contracts expire in 2042 and others expire in 2057 - some owners bought the extended contract when it was offered but a LOT didn't). I don't foresee them offering any extensions on contracts at any other DVC property.

Once your contract is over, ownership of the property turns over fully to the developer. They can do whatever they want with it at that time (level it and build a new resort, renovate and offer as new DVC or just make it another cash reservation hotel. No idea what will be done with the resorts once contracts expire, I'm sure it'll be highly dependent on what the hospitality industry is trending towards as the expiration dates get closer. They'll do whatever will make them the most money.

If for example a resort expires in 2042, it really is January 2042, this means the last full year is 2041 and that is the last year you'll receive your points.

Below are expiration dates for the 14 Legacy Resorts. Hope this is useful. Expiration date is January 31st of the listed year.

Animal Kingdom Villas Membership expires 2057
Aulani Resort Membership expires 2062
Bay Lake Tower Membership expires 2060
Beach Club Villas Membership expires 2042
Boardwalk Villas Membership expires 2042
Boulder Ridge Villas at Wilderness Lodge Membership expires 2042
Copper Creek Villas & Cabins Membership expires 2068
The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel® & Spa Membership expires 2060
The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Hotel® & Spa Membership expires 2064
Hilton Head Membership expires 2042
Old Key West Membership expires EXPIRES 2042 or 2057
Polynesian Villas and Bungalows Membership expires 2066
Saratoga Springs Membership expires 2054
Vero Beach Resort Membership expires 2042

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!