• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC FL resident rate for tix

craig

Mouseketeer
I think this has been covered before but I would like it explained again.

As an owner of DVC, why can't we get the Florida residents rate for tickets?

Would we qualify for part-time residents?

Disney makes the rules. They do not consider most timeshare owners in Florida to be Florida Residents. In addition, your contract with DVC specifically says that you cannot use your ownership as proof of FL residency.

As far as Disney is concerned, there is no such thing as a part-time resident. You're either a resident or you're not.

Regarding the "Part-Time Resident" license. Florida has a drivers license that allows you to keep your current DL and have a "Valid if Florida Only" DL. Could a DVC owner do this? Does Disney honor a resident who spends 1/2 the year in Florida?

I've always wondered why we wouldn't be considered owners and how would it hurt Disney to give us that teeny, tiny little perk? I've looked at this another way -

It just occurred to me that if Disney considered DVC members florida residents for the purpose of buying passes, then a case might be made that they should consider ANYONE who owns in any Florida timeshare a resident for the purpose of passes. "Case" as in you know that some clown would be sure to start a lawsuit (encouraged by other timeshare builders who could use Disney passes as a way to help market their own properties). Wouldn't THAT open up a can of worms! There may be millions of those "owners".

Disney wouldn't have to call it a "Florida Resident's Pass". They could call it a "DVC Pass" and make it available to Members only...no guests....no renters.....only the Members and their kids...end of story. That way renters wouldn't get the perks. Even family members joining us for a visit shouldn't get the perks. Only those named on the deed. Make the rates the same as the Florida Resident Pass. That way they wouldn't have to worry about other Florida Timeshare owners qualifying. IMHO, that would *really* make us DVC owners happy and be a huge selling point for them going forward. And it might actually stop us all from complaining ;o).

Laura

Another reason they cannot allow DVC owners to be FL residents is thely would then have to establish a government within WDW....they certainly don't want anyone having voting rights on what they do in the Reedy Creek Development District. Plus, what about HHI owners?

I agree it would be nice to offer a discount comparable to a FL resident discount but I have long ago given up holding my breath for it to happen.

I am sure that Disney is aware that no one in the park means no money. A cheaper admission price for good customers--like DVC members--means more people in the parks. While in the park, we buy stuff--making more money for Disney. Now they(Disney) have given a special discount to Florida residents by extending the annual pass 100 days--all in an effort to increase attendance. Why not give a similar benefit to DVC members--after all we spend and spend when we are on property. I assume that DVC sales have slowed. Ticket benefits were used to encourage slow sales in the past. If Disney looked at the pass issue from "the big picture" stand point (as opposed to the Developer division being forced to bear the costs of pass reductions while other divisions(parks) reap the rewards in higher sales) Disney could see a win win position in giving DVC members a break on AP prices.

I have 300 points. We bought a year ago. We bought annual passes--and we are going to use all our points this year to take advantage of the AP--ie getting our money worth out of the AP. Come June, we don't plan on renewing our annual passes--we plan on going back on our points, but spend a few days at 'other mid-Florida' attractions--and buying hoppers that never expire. If the price of an AP was 17% lower(the Florida resident discount) and was good for 460 days--I would renew--not go to the other attractions and be very happy! Feeling like I get a bargin out ways any desire to see the other attractions. Disney would make up that 17% quickly because I always eat and shop (too much). Wouldn't they perfer that spending to be at WDW than universal? In light of low attendance, shouldn't their best customers be encouraged to come back!

Is it not true that Florida resident passes have certain black out dates. Some of which I believe are 2 - 3 months over the summer and holidays. How does that benefit a DVC member who can only vacation during the summer months or likes to go down on the holidays?

Ed

Is it not true that Florida resident passes have certain black out dates?
There is a Residents' Seasonal pass that has blackout dates from June through mid-August. But there's also a Residents' Annual Pass and a Premium Annual Pass that have no blackout dates. There's also a resident-only pass that just gets you into Epcot after 4:00. Disney has so many passes, no one can keep them straight!!!

craig wrote: "I think this has been covered before but I would like it explained again."

It has been covered. Here's what I recall. Discount passes are not there to reward anyone but Disney. The passes for Florida residents are to entice people who are in the vicinity alot (the whole year) and might or might not come to WDW. That is not DVC visitors. They are in FL to visit WDW. Now Disney is not stupid. If they start to see lots of DVC visits are not accompanied by park visits, they may give DVC members enticement to come to the parks, But if DVC members eat at the resorts and shop at Downtown Disney rather than the parks, they won't care. As has been pointed out, the profit margin on admissions is nearly 100% once a certain admission level is reached. (Once you have X number of people in the park it costs very little more for the additional visitors, so those admission revenues are all profit) They will be reluctant to shave those profits without some numbers to support the idea that it will be MORE profitable.

Paul

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter