DVC for Annual RunDisney Trip

We go every year for Marathon weekend in January and Star Wars Half in April. Marathon weekend I book at the 11-month mark, but can usually still find some availability if I need to wait until the 9-10 or so month mark. At 7-months I can't get anything for the weekend itself. I haven't used points for Princess, so I'm not as familiar with DVC at that time of year. But I can tell you that for Star Wars we've have good luck at the 7-month mark or waitlist. We're now owners at Poly specifically to stay for Star Wars Half weekend. However we've had good luck every year of getting Poly via waitlist.

I haven't stayed at OKW yet, but @chicagoshannon has a very good point about you and your sister getting real beds.
Poly would be my other pick for you - a bit less economical buy in and point chart - but large studios with 2 bathrooms! Another plus for 2 adults. After 13.1 miles, that rainforest shower with a bench in it is paradise.

If I was purchasing solely or mostly for a RunDisney event, I would want to make sure it is one of the resorts that are close to the start of the event if that matters. Not sure, never did an event although I do think of it once in awhile.

SSR is the first resort to get the pull down murphy beds instead of sofa beds during the hard good refurbishment that should start any day now. Who tried them said they are as good as real beds. I agree with others saying that having two real beds is a huge plus for race events, some of the sofa beds aren't really much confortable. The resort vibe I get from SSR and OKW is similar (gourgeous grounds, relaxing atmosphear) but SSR has a slight edge for me because of DS in walking distance.

IMO the best DVC resort I’ve stayed in for a run event was SSR.

I’ve stayed there (for nighttime wine and dine and for one event January weekend), Bay lake, BWV, GFV (all for Princess), and...I think that’s all of my DVC experiences for rundisney.

It also guarantees registration for the race even too. If I recall correctly.

The wording was that it guaranteed *access*. Not sure how it has actually played out, but the wording isn’t the same as guaranteeing registration.

If I was purchasing solely or mostly for a RunDisney event, I would want to make sure it is one of the resorts that are close to the start of the event if that matters. Not sure, never did an event although I do think of it once in awhile.

Doesn’t actually matter.

For the Half events (and January’s full) you get access to the monorail if you’re at a monorail resort. (Not for shorter events!!) You have to change at TTC. You’re on the cold monorail. And the one time we took it back, it was awful. I’m slow, and we had spent time hanging out after the event. To be alll sweaty and gross with normal showered and properly dressed park-goers was embarrassing and uncomfortable for me.

If you’re at an Epcot resort and have a ticket youll use that day (and it needs to be a hopper if you’re heading elsewhere that day) then you can walk back through the park to the resort post-race (as long as Epcot is open, so that precludes the 5k and a faster person’s 10k finish). But if you don’t have a ticket to use, or if the park isn’t yet open, then it’s a bus.

The buses for rundisney are almost always good. There are outliers here and there, but in general they are good.

And a reason I liked SSR was because we were in Paddock, and it really helped us stretch out our legs to get back to the room. We went in 2014, the “splash and dash” year, and we were so so so cold and wet, and that walk helped us a lot.

The wording was that it guaranteed *access*. Not sure how it has actually played out, but the wording isn’t the same as guaranteeing registration.
I was specifically told if you kept your guaranteed week they would make sure you were registered, but of course you had to pay. At least I was told that by the sales director and some of the other directors for DVCMC. So I’d assume that was how it worked. From Disney

“Owner also receives advance opportunity to purchase up to 5 race registrations each year, for use by themselves and their family members or guests during their stay. Choose from Marathons, Half Marathons, 10K races and Challenges. Kids runs and 5K runs are excluded.”

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/rundisney-weeks/
Though I’m fairly certain this was considered a failure for DVC as I was told as much and they wouldn’t be continuing it after CCV but a good buy for the member that wants it.

Many RunDisney events start in the Epcot parking lot. So no walking to the start. You either take the early morning bus at 3AM, or drive your personal vehicle or take the monorail from a monorail resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter