DVC Fresh Bath Towels

I kinda bungled my original description of points/cost context. Let me put it another way, comparing a 2BR week at the WM Anaheim against the same week and unit size at DVC's SSR.

7 night stay, check-in on: 01/19/2020
Unit Size: 2BR unit at WM; 2BR Standard view at SSR

WM Costs:
  • My annual dues on 16000 WM Credits: $1,223.68
  • TOT: $204.75 USD
  • Housekeeping charge, if one has exhausted their account limit: $106 + tax
  • TOTAL: $1,428.43 not including HK charge or HK tax
  • Season: RED (High demand)
SSR Costs:
  • My annual dues on 218 DVC points: $1,370.22
  • Other fees: NONE
  • TOTAL: $1,370.22
  • Season: Adventure (Lowest demand)
So, for a January week ... the costs are pretty close. However, the SSR costs will increase during the different seasons ranging from 218 to 294. The WM week has only one season and is, thus, the same cost year round.

Keep in mind that the Annual Dues mentioned in the original post is relative to their account size. 5000 credits (points) is the very smallest account allowed in the system. To put it in context, the older WM resorts charge 7000 credits for a high season studio or 6000 credits for a mid-season 1BR. (WM has only 3 seasons and much of the inventory is designated high season for most of the year. Some locations are high season 365 days/year and some have only high and mid seasons w/out any days in low season.)

You would save more money purchasing any other Timeshare in the secondary market. Compared to purchasing any DVC Resort in the secondary market.
I own my DVC points to book Beach Club Villas, Copper Creek at Wilderness Lodge, Aulani, and other high demand DVC resorts when I want to book them for my family (I don’t have to wait for leftovers in RCI - although I do trade in thru RCI to DVC occasionally).

By owning DVC points I can go online and book whatever I want and wherever I want - and I gladly paid more money for DVC for that privilege vs. my resale Wyndham points and Marriott week. I treat the grand kids and family and friends to 2 and 3 night DVC stays. I booked Animal Kingdom Jambo house standard view rooms for fall break for family (stalked the DVC site to snag those rooms 5 months out - I cannot do that with my other timeshares).

Last edited:
Actually many do. We've seen reports here over the years and I've seen personal examples where people loaded up an armful of clean pool towels and took them to a room. We've seen a number of posts over the years where people stated they did that. I don't have a problem with taking a dirty towel to the room one has used then reusing it there but IMO it's inappropriate and dishonest to take clean towels back for this purpose.

If the pool towels are the same as the room towels, it makes it difficult to determine which belong where. Perhaps if they were different, Disney could better enforce people leaving pool towels in the pool area. It's not fair to owners to pay (via dues) for others who won't pay for extra towel packs when they want more than the number of towels that their stay entitles them to.

If the pool towels are the same as the room towels, it makes it difficult to determine which belong where. Perhaps if they were different, Disney could better enforce people leaving pool towels in the pool area. It's not fair to owners to pay (via dues) for others who won't pay for extra towel packs when they want more than the number of towels that their stay entitles them to.
They are different. Both are white towels but the ones at the pool are not as soft and nice as the ones in the room.

I'll consider purchasing WorldMark when they build one within walking distance of a WDW park.

To the OP:
If needing fresh towels was a requirement why would you purchase DVC? Daily housekeeping was never included. Why complain about something you were or should have been aware of?

They are different. Both are white towels but the ones at the pool are not as soft and nice as the ones in the room.
It sounds like visually they may be the same. I was suggesting they be something that could easily be spotted as a pool towel versus a room towel.

You would save more money purchasing any other Timeshare in the secondary market. Compared to purchasing any DVC Resort in the secondary market.
VERY TRUE! But consider the goal: If you want full control over your own reservations at WDW you might need DVC.
  • If you wish to book either of the DVC properties at Wilderness Lodge in early Dec, you should book using DVC points rather hoping for an exchange from another timeshare.
  • If you wish BWV or BCV in Oct, you should book using DVC points rather than hoping for an exchange from another timeshare.
  • If you wish to book a Treehouse Villa, you should book using DVC points rather than hoping for an exchange from another timeshare.
However ...
  • If you wish SSR at random times of the year ... trading in from another timeshare is a great strategy.
See where I'm going with that? There are different tools for different purposes. DVC and WM are not mutually exclusive. Own some of both, if you wish. (Many of us here do own both.)

Saving money isn't the only goal ... right?? Have fun with what you own but please don't come down on DVC owners for a silly matter of Towel distribution.

It sounds like visually they may be the same. I was suggesting they be something that could easily be spotted as a pool towel versus a room towel.
While they are both white if house keeping wanted to “bust” people they can easily tell the difference. The pool towels are white but have stripes on them and the room towels are solid white. I think the real issue is that the don’t prohibit guests from taking the towels out of pool area so unless there was a large stack of clean pool towels in a room they’d have trouble proving that people didn’t wear the towels back to their rooms after using them st the pool. Personally the pool towels aren’t anywhere near as nice as the ones in the room and I’d much rather reuse one of those than a clean pool towel.

What kind of spoiled person needs fresh bath towels every day?

If you don't change your towels at home, you don't need to do it on vacation. It's incredibly wasteful and selfish.

While they are both white if house keeping wanted to “bust” people they can easily tell the difference. The pool towels are white but have stripes on them and the room towels are solid white. I think the real issue is that the don’t prohibit guests from taking the towels out of pool area so unless there was a large stack of clean pool towels in a room they’d have trouble proving that people didn’t wear the towels back to their rooms after using them st the pool. Personally the pool towels aren’t anywhere near as nice as the ones in the room and I’d much rather reuse one of those than a clean pool towel.
Our grandkids head back to the room with towels wrapped around them. The next trip down to the pool we return them. Years ago people wrote that pool towels are laundered differently than room towels...don't know if that is true.

I kinda bungled my original description of points/cost context. Let me put it another way, comparing a 2BR week at the WM Anaheim against the same week and unit size at DVC's SSR.

7 night stay, check-in on: 01/19/2020
Unit Size: 2BR unit at WM; 2BR Standard view at SSR

WM Costs:
  • My annual dues on 16000 WM Credits: $1,223.68
  • TOT: $204.75 USD
  • Housekeeping charge, if one has exhausted their account limit: $106 + tax
  • TOTAL: $1,428.43 not including HK charge or HK tax
  • Season: RED (High demand)
SSR Costs:
  • My annual dues on 218 DVC points: $1,370.22
  • Other fees: NONE
  • TOTAL: $1,370.22
  • Season: Adventure (Lowest demand)
So, for a January week ... the costs are pretty close. However, the SSR costs will increase during the different seasons ranging from 218 to 294. The WM week has only one season and is, thus, the same cost year round.
As noted, that ignores the acquisition costs. It also compares a high demand week to he lowest demand WDW weeks. I've done a fair amount of research in this area and a 2 BR once a year is round where the transition lies if you look at Orlando but it's give or take depending on whether it's Wyndham, Bluegreen, Marriott Trust points or Marriott weeks. I can't speak for Worldmark but for Wyndham it varies with the underlying property of ownership. For my Wyndham ownership the numbers would work out similar to yours, around $1300-1500 for a full week in a 2 BR but my acquisition costs would be like $1K vs roughly $20K for SSR. And I don't think adventure standard view is a fair comparison. I think Grand California is the best comparison but as a minimum, SSR Magic. You must have used the 2018 dues, I get $1395 for SSR using the current dues.

As noted, that ignores the acquisition costs. It also compares a high demand week to he lowest demand WDW weeks. I've done a fair amount of research in this area and a 2 BR once a year is round where the transition lies if you look at Orlando but it's give or take depending on whether it's Wyndham, Bluegreen, Marriott Trust points or Marriott weeks. I can't speak for Worldmark but for Wyndham it varies with the underlying property of ownership. For my Wyndham ownership the numbers would work out similar to yours, around $1300-1500 for a full week in a 2 BR but my acquisition costs would be like $1K vs roughly $20K for SSR. And I don't think adventure standard view is a fair comparison. I think Grand California is the best comparison but as a minimum, SSR Magic. You must have used the 2018 dues, I get $1395 for SSR using the current dues.
You are correct. This is leaving the acquisition aside.

As the OP had only mentioned his Annual Dues as the original comparison, my point was the show that his dues were for a rather small account size. His 6k WM points doesn't book much ... note that it requires 16k WM to book the 2BR in January.

I used the same week across both systems as it might be seen as a negative that WM considers "all weeks high season" at their Anaheim properties. It might be a low season for demand/usage purposes, but the costs will remain high season. I really felt that worked for a fair comparison even though DVC chose to designate their WDW properties as "lowest season" for that week. The comparison reveals a difference between the two systems.

I chose to compare WM Anaheim against DVC SSR rather than DVC Grand Cal for two main reasons:
  1. I don't think any reader here would consider the WM Anaheim a reasonable comparison against the Grand Cal. As DVC SSR is often a "least loved" property w/in the DVC system, I figured fewer would complain about differences in resort quality or location advantages. See quote below from @Minniesgal in the OP's thread attempting to compare WM Anaheim to the Grand Cal: Ferrari vs Fiat! LOL

2. I had dues statements for SSR. It is the only DVC property I own ...

3. (added this point later) I needed the WM Reservation System to calculate the TOT. Thus, I needed to book an actual, bookable, timeslot. I ran through booking the same week in both systems, thus needed the week to be inside the 11 month booking window for DVC which is too early to book Summer 2020 and likely too late to find a full week for Summer 2019 available in both systems.
To me this would be like comparing a Ferrarri and a Fiat.

Had I used 2018 dues? Perhaps. I opened my current statement, online, for both systems and used what was shown. It could be that the current statement is from the year past rather than present. Sorry for that mistake.

EDITED TO ADD A 3rd reason for choosing the week used for comparison. (Edited it right into the numbered points above.)

EDIT #2: As for the DVC SSR Dues, it might be that our different numbers are based on which line we used for dues? I used the very bottom line: How much am I paying, in total, for 2019 on SSR. This line is adjusted for estimated taxes paid in the prior year. Thus, I used a number that might be a smidge lower than the stand-alone estimated 2019 dues.

Last edited:
They are not visually the same. Pool towels are smaller and have a striped quality to them. They are easily recognised as different.

I'll consider purchasing WorldMark when they build one within walking distance of a WDW park.

To the OP:
If needing fresh towels was a requirement why would you purchase DVC? Daily housekeeping was never included. Why complain about something you were or should have been aware of?
I thought the OP was considering purchasing DVC for rental purposes.

I thought the OP was considering purchasing DVC for rental purposes.
I didn't get that idea from the three or four threads started by the OP across the Disboard's DVC Forums. I don't think any purchase is intended ... he seems to be trolling to promote his ownership over ours?

Perhaps I've missed some of his comments?

I didn't get that idea from the three or four threads started by the OP across the Disboard's DVC Forums. I don't think any purchase is intended ... he seems to be trolling to promote his ownership over ours?

Perhaps I've missed some of his comments?

Or that trading DVC for Worldmark is an upgrade or helpful to DVC owners.

I thought this thread was about towels? :confused3
I started on second page, I will go to first.

Ah, I didn't read that thread that way. I read it as boasting about his success, using RCI, to trade WM into DVC. Especially after his other two threads exalting the WM Anaheim as the bees knees and his needling over cost comparisons.

Edited to add: Here is the snippet from the opening post on this thread that smells like a troll:
I believe the annual assessment at DVC is much higher than at Wyndham WorldMark. DVC members should not have to go to the pool to get bath towels. Your annual assessment should cover someone bringing you fresh bath towels everyday. DVC members should make a complaint about the Bath Towels situation.
Why is an outsider trying to stir up the hornets nest over a silly issue on "the Bath Towels situation" ????

Oh, oh, oh ... different thread! Are you referring to this thread?
Yes, I thought that one was valid (non-troll) and, if it came to pass, might be of benefit to DVC owners wanting more options at Anaheim.

Actually many do. We've seen reports here over the years and I've seen personal examples where people loaded up an armful of clean pool towels and took them to a room. We've seen a number of posts over the years where people stated they did that. I don't have a problem with taking a dirty towel to the room one has used then reusing it there but IMO it's inappropriate and dishonest to take clean towels back for this purpose.

I said it how I meant it.

No one is getting “bath” towels from the pool.

They might be getting *pool* towels and using them in the bath.

But that’s not getting “bath” towels.

The OP used specific words; I’m using the words they are using. I’m literal like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!