DVC Golf Membership

Tabetha

DIS Veteran
Ok, this is a wonky question.

I'm not a golfer, buy my DBF is. Hooboy does he love to golf.
I am the sole owner of my brand spankin' new DVC contract, and it'll stay that way.

If I add him as an associate, will he be considered a "member" in the sense that he'll be able to buy a golf membership and golf his little heart out?

Or am I gonna need to learn to play golf?

golf golf golf.

Funny word.

rigsby25 said:
How do you buy a golf membership? Where is the info?
It's probably on the Member's website, but it works like the Florida Resident deal, I think. The good news is that, at least for May thru December, it only cost you $35 per round to play at any of the 5 courses-and since OR is the most expensive, I expect that would be the best deal. The not so good news is that you have to tee off after 10:00, pretty hot weather! DH bought it the first year we were members, but he found the 10:00 pretty inconvenient. I think there's either free club rentals, or at least discounted rates, if you'd need to rent clubs. If I remember, the cost of the membership was around $50/year.

My DH bought a DVC golf discount card last October. You buy the card for $85 at the Pro shop at the course, and it's good for a year. It was $50 for 18 holes of golf after 10 AM. I believe it's a little more per round during the Jan-May season. That's still a big savings over the normal cost.

My DH usually likes to tee off early, but he didn't have a problem with the 10 AM start. And he LOVED the savings.

I can't help you with the Associate angle, but I'd think it would work.

DisFlan

All of the rates go down after 10AM, so you may want to look carefully at spending $50 for the membership to save $$$. I looked yesterday and the cost per round ranges from $59-$45 after 10AM and less after 3:00PM. It really depends on how many rounds you plan to play and where. The membership is good for a year, but how many trips will you take, and how often will you use it?
Here is the link to the regular golf rates so you can decide for yourself. By the way, take up golf whether you buy the membership or not.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/moreMagic/golf/golfDetail?id=GolfRatesPage

Thanks for all your musings and advice!

It really is tricky with all the dates and whatnot. But if he got a few rounds of golf out of it, it may end more than paying for itself. If I can get it for him.

Pricing per round
Season Dates Prices
Regular Season Rounds* October 1 - January 20 $50
Peak Season Rounds** January 21 - April 25 $89
Value Season Rounds* April 26 - September 30 $35

Well I asked MS, and they said that associates can only make and change reservations, but are not entitled to member perks. I guess that's what I expected, and frankly I'm kind of glad. Can you imagine how many "associates" there'd be if they all got member perks?

The DBF will just have to take advantage of the twilight tee times and thank his lucky stars his wonderful girlfriend brought him to DisneyWorld!

The undiscounted peak season rates range from $109 (LBV) up to about $175 per round (Osprey Ridge). In our case, I just paid the regular LBV rates to golf earlier in the day and only ended up paying a total of $10 more than I would have paid for the membership and the discounted golf at $89 per round.

I brought a membership for my son last May. He is over 21 and not on our contract. They put the membership in his name. It was part of his birthday present along with a lesson with a pro and a game of golf. He had his brother, uncle and a friend join him for golf at $50 a piece. He still talking about the best gift ever - golf. I would try the same thing, see what they say at the golf course. I made reservations in advance for the games. I thought I would have to play since and was pleasantly surprised that they suggested putting the membership in his name. Tell they it's a gift to BF what do you have to lose. Magic happens.

Tabetha said:
Ok, this is a wonky question.

I'm not a golfer, buy my DBF is. Hooboy does he love to golf.
I am the sole owner of my brand spankin' new DVC contract, and it'll stay that way.

If I add him as an associate, will he be considered a "member" in the sense that he'll be able to buy a golf membership and golf his little heart out?

Or am I gonna need to learn to play golf?

golf golf golf.

Funny word.

My DH loves golf too. We took lessons as a family last summer (DH, DD and I) and loved it. My DD is a natural. I don't know the answers to your questions-but I wanted to tell you to try golf. You may find out you like it too. Plus-it is a nice way to spend quality time with your DBF. As a funny side note-I read somewhere that GOLF stands for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden. Don't know if that is true-and really don't care-it is a fun sport for all. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!