DVC HELP - Buy direct CCVC or resale ... that is the question

Two smaller contracts for the same resort are easy to use when booking. Later when you sell, finding a buyer for 300 points may be difficult. Our early direct buys were 50 point contracts, when we sold them, they sold in a day or two at a premium price.

:earsboy: Bill

We cannot start that low due to our family size. We need to book 2-bedroom otherwise it's truly not worth it for us at such a low point amount. That is why we are looking at 300+. As far as home resorts, we would like the option to book 11 months out for both AKV and BLT that is why we are not looking at SSR plus the fact that AKV and BLT have longer terms. If we decide to be last minute, then we will be happy anywhere.

The point with starting with a 150 point contract is that with banking and borrowing you could do a trip in the 300 point range. And unless you are trying to always book value or CL at AKL, or standard at BLT, you should be able to get other 2BR room categories at 7 months. The cost to buy, say, 200 SSR points (and use 2 years' worth of points for a LV 2br) may be considerably less than the cost to buy and maintain 160 BLT points and use 320 points to book a 2br std.

And starting out small with 1 contract and seeing if you can make a trip work (remember, at the beginning of the thread you didn't think you'd be able to book 7 months in advance), and to see if you actually do like AKV and BLT a lot. Plus AKV is only 3 more years, and BLT only 6 more years, than SSR.

Two smaller contracts for the same resort are easy to use when booking. Later when you sell, finding a buyer for 300 points may be difficult. Our early direct buys were 50 point contracts, when we sold them, they sold in a day or two at a premium price.

And as Bill says, even if you ultimately decide you want 300 points at the same resort, it is easier to buy and sell contracts in the 150 range.

One you get large enough I'd agree, 300 is "no man's land" IMO for this issue and at exactly 300 or less, I'd likely just go with one for the same home resort. Certainly once we're at 350-400 I'd do 2 but I'd also do different home resorts in most cases. Two adds cost, roughly $2000 on 2*150 compared to 300 all else equal. If it's just for insurance in case we need to sell later, IMO, it's not worth it for that reason alone. The cost of the "insurance" is just too large. But it's also easier to get a "better" ? loaded contract if one is looking at larger contracts so the real savings could easily be $4-5 K on 300 pts. Looking at one larger contract also gives you the ability to be open to 250, 275, even 325 points far more so than 2 smaller ones do. IF it truly gets difficult to sell 300, it'll be difficult to sell 150.

One you get large enough I'd agree, 300 is "no man's land" IMO for this issue and at exactly 300 or less, I'd likely just go with one for the same home resort. Certainly once we're at 350-400 I'd do 2 but I'd also do different home resorts in most cases. Two adds cost, roughly $2000 on 2*150 compared to 300 all else equal. If it's just for insurance in case we need to sell later, IMO, it's not worth it for that reason alone. The cost of the "insurance" is just too large. But it's also easier to get a "better" ? loaded contract if one is looking at larger contracts so the real savings could easily be $4-5 K on 300 pts. Looking at one larger contract also gives you the ability to be open to 250, 275, even 325 points far more so than 2 smaller ones do. IF it truly gets difficult to sell 300, it'll be difficult to sell 150.

Yes - Multiple contracts will be a bit more (extra closing cost), however I definitely don’t want to buy too small like you are saying because it’ll be useless unless I buy same resort and same UY. We go at least once a year or more now so being DVC member and living in FL, I doubt we’d go less thus needing more points vs. less points. Family of 6 - we have to be in a 2-bedroom so having a very small contract to start like others are saying is just not smart for us since that may get us one weekend trip. I was thinking even if we did a 200+ and a 150+ contract ... we should be fine with two home resorts and possibly two UY even though it’ll be more to manage. Getting so impatient waiting for the right contracts ... if you know what I mean

Yes - Multiple contracts will be a bit more (extra closing cost), however I definitely don’t want to buy too small like you are saying because it’ll be useless unless I buy same resort and same UY. We go at least once a year or more now so being DVC member and living in FL, I doubt we’d go less thus needing more points vs. less points. Family of 6 - we have to be in a 2-bedroom so having a very small contract to start like others are saying is just not smart for us since that may get us one weekend trip. I was thinking even if we did a 200+ and a 150+ contract ... we should be fine with two home resorts and possibly two UY even though it’ll be more to manage. Getting so impatient waiting for the right contracts ... if you know what I mean
That sounds reasonable based on what you've shared. I'd go with the same title and UY unless you specifically need a different title and/or a different UY for some reason. I'd just buy one, the one you think fits best, then try out the system. You may find you really don't need 300 or you may find what you thought you'd prefer isn't actually what you do prefer. That way you'll have choices. But if I were going to do 2 full sized contracts, I'd definitely do 2 home resorts. Either 2 destination or 1 cheaper and one destination say SSR plus BLT would be the best from a $$$ standpoint assuming one isn't going to use something like AKV exclusively owning there.

I know some disagree but this idea of paying more for insurance in case you had to sell later is a bad plan IMO. One shouldn't buy if they're planning to sell later. Plus I'd put it 50/50 that smaller contracts (like 75 or less) will retain their added value. But even if it works out, it's still too expensive just for the insurance. Now sometimes you can find a seller who is selling more than one contract and you can cut at least some or all of those extra costs and pay like it'll all in one.

But if I were going to do 2 full sized contracts, I'd definitely do 2 home resorts. Either 2 destination or 1 cheaper and one destination say SSR plus BLT would be the best from a $$$ standpoint assuming one isn't going to use something like AKV exclusively owning there.

If I were to do 2 home resorts like AKV and SSR to save money ... would you do more points at AKV or less points (enough for a long weekend) and do same UY or would it not matter on the UY?

I know some disagree but this idea of paying more for insurance in case you had to sell later is a bad plan IMO. One shouldn't buy if they're planning to sell later. Plus I'd put it 50/50 that smaller contracts (like 75 or less) will retain their added value. But even if it works out, it's still too expensive just for the insurance. Now sometimes you can find a seller who is selling more than one contract and you can cut at least some or all of those extra costs and pay like it'll all in one.

Not necessarily for resale but more for passing on to the kids and having 11 month rights at 2 home resorts.

If I were to do 2 home resorts like AKV and SSR to save money ... would you do more points at AKV or less points (enough for a long weekend) and do same UY or would it not matter on the UY?
It would depend on how I’d use them and how many I needed specifically for AKV. I’d only buy AKV if I wanted to book the values or stay there for a specific trip. IMO AKV is easy to book overall otherwise. I probably wouldn’t buy there personally as my “destination” resort. YMMV

Not necessarily for resale but more for passing on to the kids and having 11 month rights at 2 home resorts.
I wouldn’t do it as a legacy, you never know what the future brings and having them separate can cause as much or more issues than it helps for heirs. But I would for 2 home resorts once I got to enough to do 2 full sized contracts.

It would depend on how I’d use them and how many I needed specifically for AKV. I’d only buy AKV if I wanted to book the values or stay there for a specific trip. IMO AKV is easy to book overall otherwise. I probably wouldn’t buy there personally as my “destination” resort. YMMV

I heard it's not easy to book for 2-bedroom in AKV so that is why I was considering having AKV as one of our home resorts. Is that incorrect? So say we are looking for first week in October trip, which is the busy season for DVC and with free-dining going on, there probably isn't any availability right?

I wouldn’t do it as a legacy, you never know what the future brings and having them separate can cause as much or more issues than it helps for heirs. But I would for 2 home resorts once I got to enough to do 2 full sized contracts.

When you say "full sized contracts" what does that mean? Like 150+ points or more?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

I heard it's not easy to book for 2-bedroom in AKV so that is why I was considering having AKV as one of our home resorts. Is that incorrect? So say we are looking for first week in October trip, which is the busy season for DVC and with free-dining going on, there probably isn't any availability right?
Free dining doesn’t have much impact on DVC and may actually lessen demand slightly. Personally I’m comfortable I could get a BR consistently during this time but it might depend on how often you’d do so and how stressed you’d be about it. If you want value you still may not get it even at 11 months. If you want Jambi, that might or might not be a problem. But if you’re OK just getting a 1 BR and maybe using the wait list at times, you might do better owning elsewhere say BWV or BLT for example. It’s not a bad choice but I think there are likely better choices if trying to maximize options across the system at WDW.

When you say "full sized contracts" what does that mean? Like 150+ points or more?

Thank you so much for your help!!!
I would consider anything under 150 as snakk and 150 or above full sized. The issue with 2*150 is you really limit the contract options available to you. IF you’re OK with a range, say 170 at one and 150 at the other or every 200/100, it’ll make less difference. Regardless, I’d buy one and give it a try which means it’ll be a year or 2 between the contracts so I’d buy the one your most certain of first.

Personally I’m comfortable I could get a BR consistently during this time but it might depend on how often you’d do so and how stressed you’d be about it. If you want value you still may not get it even at 11 months. If you want Jambi, that might or might not be a problem. But if you’re OK just getting a 1 BR and maybe using the wait list at times, you might do better owning elsewhere say BWV or BLT for example. It’s not a bad choice but I think there are likely better choices if trying to maximize options across the system at WDW.

There is 6 of us so we are unable to get a 1BR and have to get 2BR minimum. I don't get stressed when booking Disney as we do not have a timeline on when we can/cannot go. I wanted the 11 month to get an SV 2BR when we want to stay at "home" and also looking at BLT as another option, but not necessarily opposed to getting a "cheaper" contract at say SSR to bump points.

I would consider anything under 150 as snakk and 150 or above full sized. The issue with 2*150 is you really limit the contract options available to you. IF you’re OK with a range, say 170 at one and 150 at the other or every 200/100, it’ll make less difference. Regardless, I’d buy one and give it a try which means it’ll be a year or 2 between the contracts so I’d buy the one your most certain of first.

Yes, we are flexible on the amount and does not have to be an even 100/150/200 :)

There is 6 of us so we are unable to get a 1BR and have to get 2BR minimum. I don't get stressed when booking Disney as we do not have a timeline on when we can/cannot go. I wanted the 11 month to get an SV 2BR when we want to stay at "home" and also looking at BLT as another option, but not necessarily opposed to getting a "cheaper" contract at say SSR to bump points.

Yes, we are flexible on the amount and does not have to be an even 100/150/200 :)
I meant any 2 BR not a 2 BR. The keyboard on this ipad is laid out differently than my normal desktop or laptop.

I meant any 2 BR not a 2 BR. The keyboard on this ipad is laid out differently than my normal desktop or laptop.

OH ... well then YES, we are flexible LOL. We don't get bent out of shape as long as we can get something. Plus, we want to try all resorts, if possible.

So say we are looking for first week in October trip, which is the busy season for DVC and with free-dining going on, there probably isn't any availability right?

DVC never gets free dining. October is also blacked out from most general public free dining.

That said, a 2BR at 11 months is not a problem at the big 3 (AKV, OKW, SSR). If you tried to book right now, it is a problem. There is almost nothing on campus with full availability for 3+ days save a 1BR here and there (mostly SSR).

Ya snooze, ya lose for fall frenzy.

That said, a 2BR at 11 months is not a problem at the big 3 (AKV, OKW, SSR). If you tried to book right now, it is a problem. There is almost nothing on campus with full availability for 3+ days save a 1BR here and there (mostly SSR).

Ya snooze, ya lose for fall frenzy.

So basically you are saying, if we were to get a contract soon and it passes/closes, our chances of getting a 2-bedroom anywhere in Sept/Oct is pretty much NIL? We don't fit 1BR only 2BRs+. I hope this isn't true as we are buying this year because we want to go this year as DVC owners :rainbow:

our chances of getting a 2-bedroom anywhere in Sept/Oct is pretty much NIL

Yes. Even with split stays there are holes. You could waitlist, but there are no guarantees. There are certainly 1- and 2-day stretches here and there.

I have no reason to exaggerate here, and everyone else will back up what I'm saying - from late September through marathon, booking during home resort is really important, and every 5 minutes past the 7 month window, availability gets worse across all unit types remaining. 1BRs have the longest availability cycle because of their point cost, capacity, and the nature of lock-off units. If you bid a contract tomorrow, you would be unlikely to be able to book until late June-early July.

Fall is the highest demand season.

Fall is the highest demand season.

Even outside of fall, DVC's value is in trips that are booked 7+ months out. If you can make a trip inside that work great, but the default mindset should be trips that are 7 months or more out.

Also, rushing to purchase a resale DVC just to possibly be able to book 4 months out could lead to a decision you regret. I understand the notion of wanting to put your trip money towards DVC instead of a hotel/rental, but I'd focus on going in Fall 2019 then. If you're set on Fall 2018, I'd look at renting or a hotel.

So basically you are saying, if we were to get a contract soon and it passes/closes, our chances of getting a 2-bedroom anywhere in Sept/Oct is pretty much NIL? We don't fit 1BR only 2BRs+. I hope this isn't true as we are buying this year because we want to go this year as DVC owners :rainbow:

It's why many of us were saying that if you can't book in the 11 month window that you might end up very frustrated by DVC. September is easier with 7 month bookings than Oct-Dec which are relatively difficult. And as more people have trouble with 7 months they'll be more inclined to book at 11 months.

With flexibility you may be able get a 2BR at SSR for sometime. Or a split stay depending on availability. Any other location is more based on luck at this time as we are currently 4+ months out from Sept dates and 5 months out from October dates and many of those villas booked up right at 11 months. By the time you close on a resale it'll be 2-3 months out from those dates and that's very short notice booking.

Last edited:
As others have said - it is too late to buy DVC now to use your points in the fall, and it is also not a good idea to rush a DVC purchase with a specific booking in mind. To give you a sense of how quickly bookings go:

We bought BLT from March - April 2017. We already had short stays in August 2017 (VGF, BCV) that had been booked on rented points back in early October 2016 (10 months in advance). If we had waited to use our BLT points, 3.5 months in advance, we would not have been able to stay at VGF or BCV. At the time we closed, I booked a President's Week 2018 trip with those points - almost 10 months in advance. President's week is not nearly as hard to get as fall frenzy, and at 10 months in advance, ALL of the standards and TPV of any size were gone, and even some days in LV studios. I ended up waitlisting and getting what I wanted, but that was a long and difficult process over the next several months, and was completed about 5.5 months in advance.

We bought additional points at VGF (November 2017-Jan 2018, points in account in January) with no intention if using the points until April 2019 at the earliest. That left us the flexibility and ability to get the exact # of points we wanted, at the best price, and in the UY we wanted, without worrying about planning our next vacation.

This sort of gets back to when you said you'd be able to plan "roughly" when your trips will fall. If you're planning on going mostly in the fall because DVC resorts cost the fewest points then, well, guess what? Thousands of other DVC owners have the same plan. So for fall trips, you really do need to be able to make a reservation 11 months in advance and accept that you may have very little flexibility in changing those dates. If you're not comfortable doing that, then DVC may not be a good fit for you. (Note, this changes only slightly even if you plan travel at less popular times, like late August before F&W starts in earnest; then you may have some flexibility. For example, the last week of August you can still stay for a week in a 2BR at BRV, OKW, SSR, and AKV, but not at any of the other resorts.)

Also, rushing to purchase a resale DVC just to possibly be able to book 4 months out could lead to a decision you regret. I understand the notion of wanting to put your trip money towards DVC instead of a hotel/rental, but I'd focus on going in Fall 2019 then. If you're set on Fall 2018, I'd look at renting or a hotel.

Thanks for your feedback!! We aren't feeling "rushed" to purchase at all as we do want the best contract(s). What you may be "seeing" in my words is excitement that we are finally after 12+ years going to do this :dogdance:

I understand purchasing can be a long drawn out process (searching, offering, waiting for acceptance, paperwork, ROFR :-)rolleyes2), and closing. Of course WHEN we finally become DVC members, I'll be glued to the screen searching for our first DVC stay :car::tongue:

If you decide to go direct and buy at CCVC, you can ask if the salesperson can get you a 2 bdrm for this fall at CCVC. Sometimes they can work some "magic" and make it happen. It never is a guarantee though. If you are buying at least 175 points direct for Copper Creek, they will take off $2500 off the price, which makes buying direct closer to what you would pay for Copper Creek via resale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter