DVC I.D. And Discount Problems

JK Powers

Earning My Ears
On our recent trip, we had an annoying problem that kept coming up. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

Every store you go in seems to have its own rules as to what DVC ID they will or will not accept. We have been members since 1999. Both my wife and I are on the deed. We have only one blue ID card with my name on it. Some stores would not give my wife the DVC discount at all. I had to buy everything. Then some other locations would give her the discount. Some would not accept my card without a driver’s license as well. Some would, and on and on like that. In addition, some places insisted on a screen shot on your phone of the first page of your DVC contract off the website. In fact, the DVC Lounge people advised us to have this with us at all times. Some places wouldn’t accept any screen shot.

It was just a frustrating mess for the entire 10 days we were there. I’m just asking for some uniformity in policy and not a dozen different policies. It made me wonder if very few people ask for their DVC discount since that really sets some people off. Does one have to carry their notarized contract around with photo ID? Anyone else have this problem?

The only issue that we have had is making sure that we have not only our DVC carb but drivers license on us as well. Is showing your deed new? We’ve never had to do that before.

I wonder if this is because not all members have DVC owner benefits.

Yes!!
We thought it was just us.

We always have issue with the digital membership card and cast members not accepting it (even with ID)
So we have to really push it and ask for manger and there’s usually a lot of back and forth. Then they accept it.
Normally response is anyone can photoshop a digital dvc membership card. They need to see the physical card.

We are international DVC members and the blue member cards never arrive to us in the mail. Even though we call member services and order them again... They never come

We have only had a few times were no ID was requested.

We often have to pull up with member website to show cast member the discount that the sites says we get. They don’t appear to be educated at all.

Sometimes the discount is automatically applied when dining. Other times we have to ask for the discount. Then they have to get a manager to verify and then apply the discount and reprint a new bill.

It’s so frustrating and we are not pushy people and get chill and go,with the flow. We hate having to push that get a dvc disco7and have to educate cast members on this.

OP, get your wife her own DVC website login and she can receive her own blue card. The only policy consistency at Disney is that there is no consistency.

:earsboy: Bill
Hopefully.

I've misplaced my blue card. I requested a new on online and over the phone a few times. I have yet to receive one.

2 requests over 3 years and crickets on my “hard card” (We do have separate sign ins). So far no problems with a screenshot of it -Epcot lounge, Gold AP activation and a food discount somewhere or other. Our most commonly exercised discount vehicle is the AP, and I have a card with that.

We hand over our license & corresponding DVC card, and not once have had an issue getting the discount that way. The very few times we accidentally gave a mismatch (e.g., husband's DL, my DVC card), they asked for the correct, matching DL/card. I would definitely suggest calling MS & requesting a card for your wife ASAP (I've had better luck asking MS than ordering them online).

We had much better luck replacing a card by calling MS than by ordering it online. As with all things Disney, ymmv though.

We hand over our license & corresponding DVC card, and not once have had an issue getting the discount that way. The very few times we accidentally gave a mismatch (e.g., husband's DL, my DVC card), they asked for the correct, matching DL/card. I would definitely suggest calling MS & requesting a card for your wife ASAP (I've had better luck asking MS than ordering them online).
I was wondering if anyone had better luck calling and requesting the cards. We only just ordered ours at the beginning of April but based on what I've been reading on these various threads about the physical cards I'm not holding out much hope of receiving the ones we requested online. I will say though, that we ordered them multiple times just in case the request didn't go through or whatever. I'm thinking maybe trying to call ms might be a better plan so will try that in hopes that we get the cards at least one way or another.

I've never had an issue just showing my DL and downloadable card on my phone. Showing a deed or the DVC website does nothing, every member has a deed, whether resale or direct. In fact, the downloadable card on your phone is probably the safest for Disney to use, as it has a short expiration date, and if you sell your contract, you only have a couple months of "illegal" benefits.

In fact, taking a screenshot of the DME website showing that I have an Active AP (along with my DL) has always worked, too, rather than carrying the "benefits" card.

My husband "lost" his blue card. (It's at home somewhere, but he forgot to bring it and I do most of the shopping anyway.) On our most recent trip (last week), we were splitting up with the kids to do different things and he found this to be much more of a pain.

Observations:

More so on this trip than any other time in the past, CMs requested to see the physical card and driver's license. In the past, they generally wanted to only see the physical card.

Maybe on 1-2 occasions, they applied the DVC discount without needing to see the card, but there were a few places where I bought something, left, and returned either the same day or the next to buy another thing, so the discount didn't matter.

On 1 occasion, I was at guest relations in MK and DH was shopping with the kids at the Emporium, rather than making them all wait in line with me. I gave him my blue card but kept my DL in case I needed it, and texted him a screenshot. He had no problem at the Emporium but may have offered to wait and have me come in when I was done at GR.

Previously, when I used the AP discount, showing them the AP on MDE was enough, though once in a while they wanted a photo ID too.

Conclusion:

I am making DH find his blue card and bring it on all future trips.

I thought policy is to accept the digital version as well as the physical card so it’s disheartening to hear other have had problems with showing just that. However as far as the OP goes they shouldn’t accept your card with your wife’s ID. I understood she truly is entitled as an owner but there would be no way to verify the person was entitled to the discount if the name does not match. You could literally give your card to anyone with the same last name and claim they are on the deed as well.

We have 3 names on one of our contracts and only received 2 cards. Fixed the issue at the DVC lounge in Epcot. Didn't need the 'extra' card on that trip but mom's card came in the mail in a couple of weeks.

Like many others on this thread, I have requested, several times, online and by phone a member card. Each time I am told it will take 3-6 weeks for delivery. I have yet to receive a card. I have screenshot a temporary card from my account page but I would much rather present a card rather than use cell phone battery power to retrieve the pic. If anyone has the magic wand to get a card, I would love to know the secret to get one.

Like many others on this thread, I have requested, several times, online and by phone a member card. Each time I am told it will take 3-6 weeks for delivery. I have yet to receive a card. I have screenshot a temporary card from my account page but I would much rather present a card rather than use cell phone battery power to retrieve the pic. If anyone has the magic wand to get a card, I would love to know the secret to get one.
I know us too! Every time we request it it says they received it. I mean where do these requests end up? We requested ours at the beginning of April so not that long ago but reading the posts on here is concerning. Seems like no one is getting them that has requested them recently and we are going to Disney in July so like you i would much rather have the actual card than gave to get out our cell phones each time we want to use it for a discount. Well guess we will see what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!