DVC I.D. And Discount Problems

Anyone else have this problem?
Husband and I are both on the deed -I think i initially received a card and then I had to request one for DH. Your wife should have her own card to help with some of the shopping issues. If you call they should be able to send one.

We know the CM's are required to check our DVC card and ID so we just have it out and ready any time we are making a purchase, whether they ask for it or not. So I think if you are just prepared with the card and ID there is no waiting or wondering what the CM is or isn't going to do.

The past couple of trips we've just been using the digital cards and have not experienced an issue yet. The discount is supposed to be only for the member and they are supposed to pay for it so being held to that would not bother me and I'm not surprised to hear that your wife was not allowed to use your card. That has been happening for years at some places. As was mentioned I'd suggest your wife both get an online DVC account and have her own digital card to use and she could also request her own physical card. That seems to be the difficult thing to get though these days.

We've also usually had to show an id over the years that matches the member card. Again, I expect that and if it isn't asked for it's just something I don't have to pull out that time.

On our recent trip, we had an annoying problem that kept coming up. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

Every store you go in seems to have its own rules as to what DVC ID they will or will not accept. We have been members since 1999. Both my wife and I are on the deed. We have only one blue ID card with my name on it. Some stores would not give my wife the DVC discount at all. I had to buy everything. Then some other locations would give her the discount. Some would not accept my card without a driver’s license as well. Some would, and on and on like that. In addition, some places insisted on a screen shot on your phone of the first page of your DVC contract off the website. In fact, the DVC Lounge people advised us to have this with us at all times. Some places wouldn’t accept any screen shot.

It was just a frustrating mess for the entire 10 days we were there. I’m just asking for some uniformity in policy and not a dozen different policies. It made me wonder if very few people ask for their DVC discount since that really sets some people off. Does one have to carry their notarized contract around with photo ID? Anyone else have this problem?
You both should have a member ID card. I would call and ask for one.

We have been members since 1999. Both my wife and I are on the deed. We have only one blue ID card with my name on it.

Like everyone else said, she needs her own card.

Some would not accept my card without a driver’s license as well.

That’s been normal as long as I’ve brrn a part of DVC, which is approaching 10 years now. I’ve been acutelybaware because while married I was just an Associate member with no card at all and not entitled to benefits. But I watched the husband show ID almost all the time for any discount.

Normally response is anyone can photoshop a digital dvc membership card

Bizarre.

Showing a deed or the DVC website does nothing, every member has a deed, whether resale or direct. In fact, the downloadable card on your phone is probably the safest for Disney to use, as it has a short expiration date, and if you sell your contract, you only have a couple months of "illegal" benefits.

Exactly.

We have 3 names on one of our contracts and only received 2 cards. Fixed the issue at the DVC lounge in Epcot.

How did you fix it?

We know the CM's are required to check our DVC card and ID so we just have it out and ready any time we are making a purchase, whether they ask for it or not. So I think if you are just prepared with the card and ID there is no waiting or wondering what the CM is or isn't going to do.

Agreed. That’s what my ex did, and now that I have the deed it’s what I do.

The discount is supposed to be only for the member and they are supposed to pay for it so being held to that would not bother me and I'm not surprised to hear that your wife was not allowed to use your card. That has been happening for years at some places.

Agreed.

I read this right before my trip so I was a bit concerned since I could not find my physical card. Contacted Member Services and was assured a screenshot of my digital card would be accepted. My findings were that no one had any issue with a digital card. Showing picture ID was more hit or miss. Stores tended to ask for it more than the restaurants.. OKW Conch Flats gave us the discount without seeing the card at all.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/membership/membership-card/
With the Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members can access an array of Membership Extras, including special offers, savings, events, discounts on merchandise and more!*
For your convenience, you can use a digital version of your Membership Card now—or order a new card online.

If you only have a digital copy of the DVC Member Card, then perhaps you should carry a copy the DVC Member page that states the digital card is valid for discounts. And I would definitely ask for a manager if a CM refuses to give me the discount.

DW had a manager effectively accuse her of committing fraud with the digital card. And that was for a 10% discount, not even the 20. We never forgot the blue cards again.

Here now given the discounts under the following scenarios:
1. Not been asked for either or AP or DVC card .
2. Been asked for the respective card but not drivers license.
3. Been asked for the respective card and the drivers license.

Not sure what that means, just our experience.

Here now given the discounts under the following scenarios:
1. Not been asked for either or AP or DVC card .
2. Been asked for the respective card but not drivers license.
3. Been asked for the respective card and the drivers license.

Not sure what that means, just our experience.

It means some CMs are lax. Policy for discounts is card and ID, though at Dining when paying on Magic Band I’ve had some servers accept the icon that pops up when they scan.

DW had a manager effectively accuse her of committing fraud with the digital card. And that was for a 10% discount, not even the 20. We never forgot the blue cards again.

That manager should have been reported either to guest services or via email when you got home. I rarely have had an issue with a CM, but when I do I sure do get their name from their name tag.

No problem at all. We all have our blue dvc cards, myself, husband & daughter. Have card and ID ready for any discount before they ask. Sometimes I just grab my AP card instead with ID.

I had a CM refuse to believe the screen shot of the blue digital card I was showing him was real, and refused to activate my annual pass. A manager had to intervene, and both of them went off to "look it up" (I suspect they called DVC MA) before they believed it was real. In retrospect, I should have gotten both their names and reported them for the shabby experience. This was caused by the blue cards I ordered (twice) never arriving before my trip. In fact, the cards didn't arrive until after a third order, a visit to the Epcot lounge, and a letter to member services.

We've been DVC member since 2011. Both in Disney World & Aulani we've had to show both our DVC card and photo ID. Since DH and I both have a card we haven't had the OP problem.
We have been members since 2008. Always have had to show DVC cards and Photo ID, including Aulani. I like the policy. Anyone could potentially borrow their friend or relatives DVC card if they wanted to cheat and didn't have to show ID. I like the two step process for verification.

I did call member services and explain the issue at the time, and it was handled in however way they handle these things.

The real problem (aside from being indirectly accused of committing fraud) is the continually changing policies coupled with tremendous pressure on likely underpaid and/or overworked workers to enforce them. It's just how things are these days.

Obviously to us it's a no-brainer to simply attach the membership extras eligibility to your MDE account. Heck, there's already a DVC flag there although not for this purpose. But, from merely a bean counter's perspective, that costs resources to make it easier for people to get discounts, so it's definitely very, very low priority.

I noticed they changed the wording on the digital card page.

It used to say "Print copy or take a screenshot. This version expires 3 months from today"

Now it says "View your digital Membership Card(s) below. Then just show a printed copy or screenshot - along with a valid photo ID - to access your benefits, This identification will expire 3 months from today." I'm assuming this is for clarification to the park CMs.

When they changed out the member ID to a card with an expiration, we each got two blue cards, one for each of our two contracts. So we have four cards between the two of us.

My digital membership just shows a blue card with my name, ID# and 3 month expiry...is that normal? While my actual card has "member since on it"...Also it doesn't seem to list what my benefits are like my old one before I bought direct points.

My digital membership just shows a blue card with my name, ID# and 3 month expiry...is that normal? While my actual card has "member since on it"...Also it doesn't seem to list what my benefits are like my old one before I bought direct points.
That's normal for the digital ID. Your card doesn't list your benefits. You get them online because the change.

Thanks for all the responses. I have ordered my wife a card. Haven’t got it yet but....

As a follow up, it’s the Epcot Lounge people who keep advising to rake screen shots of cards and contracts. Someone should tell them this is not accepted many places. One place wouldn’t accept anything off a phone saying anything could be photoshopped.

Again, I just think a universal (sorry, bad word) policy is in order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!