DVC making direct points more valuable?

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
With Moonlight Magic and the annual pass deals, it seems to me Disney is putting more and more distance between direct and resale points.

I think this trend will continue. What about you?

Pretty obvious that this is the current managements marketing strategy. As long as this continues to generate sales the programs will continue. Some less impressive elements may disappear, it's all about what looks great to prospective buyers, not what owners enjoy.

:earsboy: Bill

Pretty obvious that this is the current managements marketing strategy. As long as this continues to generate sales the programs will continue. Some less impressive elements may disappear, it's all about what looks great to prospective buyers, not what owners enjoy.

I think the ticket deals and the private after hours events are pretty compelling.

What would you like to see offered? I haven't liked several of the changes DVC has done, the latest being all the design downgrades to older properties. I am just wondering how much DVC will offer us all to keep those direct points seem desirable over resales.

I think the ticket deals and the private after hours events are pretty compelling.

What would you like to see offered? I haven't liked several of the changes DVC has done, the latest being all the design downgrades to older properties. I am just wondering how much DVC will offer us all to keep those direct points seem desirable over resales.

Again the offerings are to excite new DVC buyer who don't know about the MS, booking, room issues. Things that don't benefit sales or make Disney money falls through the cracks. Design upgrades doesn't make Disney money, and downgrades keeps the dues lower which makes buying DVC more attractive. They make a huge amount of money off of the AP's getting you to vacation twice per year to spend more money or you buy an AP and only use it for a few days.

Again the offerings are to excite new DVC buyer who don't know about the MS, booking, room issues. Things that don't benefit sales or make Disney money falls through the cracks. Design upgrades doesn't make Disney money, and downgrades keeps the dues lower which makes buying DVC more attractive. They make a huge amount of money off of the AP's getting you to vacation twice per year to spend more money or you buy an AP and only use it for a few days.

I do feel like I have to keep changing my trip strategies based on what DVC does.

At some points, once 'nearly everyone' owns at least 25-points direct ... they will likely start moving the target by adding tiers. So, sure, a 25-point direct owner gets access to the Lounge in Epcot but look for a new 50-point minimum to qualify for AP discount. {{ wink }}

Perhaps they'll raise the bar slowly ... one itty bitty step after another as the current step reaches saturation?

I agree that the recent increase of DVC event offers is strictly a sales incentive. They need these incentives to justify the very high cost they are charging for points. I truly believe that if DVC wasn't selling a new property they wouldn't have started the Moonlight Magic Events nor added the Epcot Lounge, nor built the Reunion Station at Wilderness Lodge. DVC is not concerned with keeping current members as they have us hooked on staying at DVC resorts. They are just concerned with bringing in more members as it is profitable for them and for Disney itself. http://dvcnews.com/index.php/other-resources/4056-disney-parks-post-big-gains-in-q1-2018

And that is really okay with me. I have my points to enjoy my Disney vacations and when I no longer am interested in these vacations, which is highly doubtful, I'll sell my points and get a lot of my money back.

At some points, once 'nearly everyone' owns at least 25-points direct ... they will likely start moving the target by adding tiers. So, sure, a 25-point direct owner gets access to the Lounge in Epcot but look for a new 50-point minimum to qualify for AP discount. {{ wink }}

Perhaps they'll raise the bar slowly ... one itty bitty step after another as the current step reaches saturation?
Yes, I bet we will see the minimum points for benefits rise to 50 or even 100 after all the Star Wars attractions open.

DVC is not concerned with keeping current members as they have us hooked on staying at DVC resorts.

:teeth: Ain't it the truth! LOL! I still do the math for my stays comparing what I would have to pay if not a member, and I'm still happy I bought so long ago. And yes, I factor in my dues which seem to just keep goin' up! :rolleyes:

I am enjoying the ride! I have attended some of the Moonlight events and Epcot Lounge. I also thoroughly enjoy the Member Cruises. We are retired, travel other places besides Disney, other lines than DCL, but Disney gets a huge chunk of our discretionary income. We have asked DVC if we gift our points to younger family members if they would retain their status, and were told yes. I hope that’s true. We do not expect to need to sell the points.

I am enjoying the ride! I have attended some of the Moonlight events and Epcot Lounge. I also thoroughly enjoy the Member Cruises. We are retired, travel other places besides Disney, other lines than DCL, but Disney gets a huge chunk of our discretionary income. We have asked DVC if we gift our points to younger family members if they would retain their status, and were told yes. I hope that’s true. We do not expect to need to sell the points.

Us too. Not retired yet, but close. We bought a house in Orlando a few years back, but still keep our DVC. Our kids (31 & 23) still love going and are always planning the next trip. It has been a wonderful 25+ year ride. Although I am disappointed in almost all of the renovations (I still miss themed napkins !) , I can't see us selling. Maybe things will change, we will see. As long as we are able, we will make the pilgrimage -- now with two grandsons in tow!

mac_tlc

We have asked DVC if we gift our points to younger family members if they would retain their status, and were told yes. I hope that’s true. We do not expect to need to sell the points.

That's my understanding as well. A "gratuitous transfer" does not change the status.

I thought a specific phrase my Guide said sums it all up perfectly. He said “Disney needs to maintain value of the contracts sold by Disney.” I believe more drastic measures will be taken before Riviera goes up for sale. I put the buying of my resale points on the fast track before the recent announcement was made and glad I did. I predict the Resales will skyrocket over the next 6 months and..as Disney does... will look at more ways to get money from the resale market. I anticipate Riviera will start at $200+ per point with exclusive perks (including Galaxy’s Edge) to drive more direct sales. And I think they’ll be successful. As for me, I bought DVC to stay in deluxe accommodations in the US so no amount of perks will be worth it. Just my .02

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter