DVC making the sums work

foiled

Earning My Ears
We stayed at the Poly last year as a family and really enjoyed it.

We are planning on going back to Disney World every other year, so I've considered joining DVC, but the sums make that hard to justify.

For example, to be able to rent a 2 bed apartment at Beach Club Lodge requires 350 points in the summer season (july). Assuming we go every other year........

so to buy 175 points @ $80 = £9333
annual fees = £681
so over 10 years = £16143

Cost of Beach club resort Hotel =£2226
so cost over 10 years =£11130

In fact it would take 20 years to makes costs equal.

I realise a 2 bed lodge is going to be bigger than a hotel room, but then it's swings and roundabouts as you lose out on the free dining plan.

Plus I guess after 20 years you'd still have the point which you could sell, but I suspect they will have lost a lot of their value after such a long period.

Perhaps they're just not for me?

Thoughts

Comparing a hotel room to a DVC 2 bedroom villas is no where near comparing apples to apples.

A 2 bedroom villa will give you 3 rooms including a full kitchen with laundry plus 2 or 3 bathrooms depending on resort.

A hotel room is just that one room with bathroom.

Comparing a hotel room to a studio would be a fair comparison.

Personally staying a DVC villa (we are 2A & 5yo) is so much more relaxing way to stay and we won't stay in anything else than a one bedroom now. We don't enjoy the DDP so the loss of free dining is not really an issue to us.

Comparing a hotel room to a DVC 2 bedroom villas is no where near comparing apples to apples.

The understatement of the year ;)

We had a dedicated 2 bedroom at OKW in feb (admittedly they are slightly larger than the rest) and it was probably the equivalent of 3 normal hotel rooms. Master bedroom, second bedroom with 2 double beds plus bathroom and living area with sofa bed for 2 and sofa chair for 1 plus the other bathroom.

The kids were happy playing hid and seek :rotfl:

David

You certainly cannot compare a 2 bedroomed Villa to a Hotel room.

We bought DVC specifically to have a 2 bedroomed for our family of 5. We love the laundry facilities and the kitchen we often cook in the room. We don't believe free dining is worth having as you have to pay full rate for the room to get it so it isn't technically free. We also don't do enough disney dining to use it fully and don't really like the QS offerings.

We did our analysis on the cost of renting points at $14 a point to stay in the same 2 bedroomed villa we have with DVC. In this case we break even in 9 years. It works for us as we wouldn't stay in a Hotel room with our family of 5 we stopped that about 10 years ago anywhere we always go self catering. Therefore we are apartement, villa type people.

If on the other hand you are hotel people who like to eat out twice a day, want daily maid servce and a hotel room DVC is probably not the product for you.

we stay in a studio most years, suits us ok as we look at as a room just to sleep in.
When we bought we worked out if we compared to a mod resort, it was 9 visits to cover our costs, against a deluxe would break even in 6 visits
As we have had it for over 15 years the average cost to us is less than what a mod or deluxe would cost now, you still have to factor in room rates raising on an annual bases.
You have to do the sums to see if it makes sence for your self,but for us it was and is a no brainier :thumbsup2
Paul

We stayed at the Poly last year as a family and really enjoyed it.

We are planning on going back to Disney World every other year, so I've considered joining DVC, but the sums make that hard to justify.

For example, to be able to rent a 2 bed apartment at Beach Club Lodge requires 350 points in the summer season (july). Assuming we go every other year........

so to buy 175 points @ $80 = £9333
annual fees = £681
so over 10 years = £16143

Cost of Beach club resort Hotel =£2226
so cost over 10 years =£11130

In fact it would take 20 years to makes costs equal.

I realise a 2 bed lodge is going to be bigger than a hotel room, but then it's swings and roundabouts as you lose out on the free dining plan.

Plus I guess after 20 years you'd still have the point which you could sell, but I suspect they will have lost a lot of their value after such a long period.

Perhaps they're just not for me?

Thoughts
Its not 'free' dining - the cost of the rooms are higher when free dining is offered - a % discount on the rooms works out cheaper.

Yes as PP has said that consider that cost of hotel will rise year on year. We bought in 2008 and did our prices based on staying at POR so a mod. Because we got a good deal at SSR and the exchange rate was good it paid for itself in only 4 visits! We never regretted it we love staying in DVC rooms. We have since got add ons at GF which we love too.

If buying now, pay attention to the RTU end date as Beach club resort has less useful life than SSR or BLT, or Poly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!