DVC Member Cruise with OBB/placeholder

shaunacb

Always planning a DVC trip from Canada!
Has anyone tried to book a DVC member cruise using a placeholder or OBB (on board booking) benefits? I would love to get 10% off of that expensive cruise!

Has anyone tried to book a DVC member cruise using a placeholder or OBB (on board booking) benefits? I would love to get 10% off of that expensive cruise!
I'm not sure DVC cruises qualify for OBB perks.

I found this info (I know, it's old) on another thread:
DVC Members cannot book another cruise with DVC points while onboard. Because of this restriction, a few years ago DVC added the following option.

You can call DVC Member Services with 7 days of disembarking your cruise and book another cruise using points and receive a small discount on the number of points required. There is no exact way to know what discount you might receive, it likely varies by stateroom category and sail date. Based on reports from the boards, the discount is nowhere near 10% and is usually so small (a point or two, maybe up to five) that it really doesn't make much of a difference. The other "Book onboard" benefits such as onboard credit do not apply.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-booking-on-board-for-next-trip.3399361/#post-53437514

Thanks. I should have clarified, I am a blue card holding DVC Member but I want to pay with cash (not points) for the DVC Member Cruise. Wondering if the cash rates for the DVC Member Cruise qualify for the OBB discount?

Thanks. I should have clarified, I am a blue card holding DVC Member but I want to pay with cash (not points) for the DVC Member Cruise. Wondering if the cash rates for the DVC Member Cruise qualify for the OBB discount?

I would call or chat w/MS and ask. I know for years we members were able to do what PrincessShmoo described.....call MS within a handful of days (seems it used to be only 3 days, but I may be remembering that incorrectly. I KNOW it was a VERY short time frame you have to call MS) of completing a DCL cruise to rebook your next DCL cruise and get some sort of discount. I have booked a number of cruises on points ( I know, I know, most folks say that is taboo. But hey! I had the points but not the moolah. LOL) over the years but have not tried rebooking within a week of disembarking a Disney cruise.

DVC cruises get zero discounts. The price listed is the price. They allow DVC cruises to accrue to Castaway status, but they are private charters by their nature. Similarly, you cannot book them via a travel agent and get OBC.

The other side of that, though, is that unlike a normal sailing, the price doesn't go up as the ship fills up. The price is the price is the price.

DVC cruises get zero discounts. The price listed is the price. They allow DVC cruises to accrue to Castaway status, but they are private charters by their nature. Similarly, you cannot book them via a travel agent and get OBC.

The other side of that, though, is that unlike a normal sailing, the price doesn't go up as the ship fills up. The price is the price is the price.
Thanks for clarifying. That totally makes sense (though I wish it wasn't true!). It is thousands of dollars more than the exact same repositioning cruise for 2020. It doesn't help that we are a family of 5 (for the Wonder at least).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter