DVC Membership

Keith Francis

Earning My Ears
Hi
As a family we are thinking of buying some Resale DVC points. I have two main questions. First, I see there is a minimum amount of points set by Disney to become a member of 150 points. Does this apply to Resale points, would it be possible on our first purchase to buy less than 150 points from resale and use the Disney accommodation? Second, which points web site do you as members recommend because I see that some charge extras but do some very valuable checks. Do the Resale websites that don't charge do the same checks?

Hi Keith, and welcome to the DIS.

I always understood that the minimum initial purchase was 150 points however you bought them, but I have read of a recent example on the US DVC boards where a resale for less than 100 points went through for an initial purchaser.

As far as reslae agents go, I'm afraid I have no experience of any of them, but many on the US DVC board recommend The Timeshare Store, Shontell Crawford and a couple fo others. If you take a look through some of the recent posts there you may fid some more information on that.

Here's a link to the US DVC board

When I bought my resale at the beginning of the year I dealt with Shontell Crawford while she was still at the Timeshare Store and she was very efficient and helpful and all went smoothly. She has since set up her own business so I would be happy to deal with either company if I bought another resale in the future.

One thing I will mention about resale is that they can take quite a while (at least a couple of months) from the start until you become a DVC member and you have control of your points. This can be important if you want to bank your points for the next year and you can see the banking deadlines slipping away while you wait for the all important membership cards!

If you have more questions about resales just ask.

Thankyou for your very helpful advice. i have tried to find an address for Shontell. I would like to get intouch if anybody has a contact address.
Also would someone please give me the buying procedure particularly when and how the money is exchanged and how secure is the procedure.
Thanks keith

Keith

Try this for Shontell's website

www.timesharesbyresale.com (I'm hopeless at links!)

I think the only way to exchange money for a resale is by getting your bank to transfer it to the brokers bank and, again, we had no problems security wise with this. But your bank will probably charge you about £25 to send the funds and the US bank may well make a charge for receiving them. Which by paying the deposit and the balance separately means two lots of charges!! Having said that, a resale is usually the cheaper way to go even with the added costs.

In a nutshell -

Choose the contract you want

A few days later the broker sends you a contract to sign and return at which time you transfer money for the deposit.

Wait impatiently - you may receive a few other things to sign!

6 - 8 weeks later they will send you the final big contract and you transfer the balance.

Then what seems like years later (about two weeks) you receive your membership cards from Disney.

Access to email (okay there) and particularly a fax are very useful

If you're buying through a resale agent, couldn't you pay by credit card? If so, it would avoid the bank charges for sending money transfers.

I'm not familiar with the way resale transactions are completed so it may be that this suggestion wouldn't work if you have to pay directly to the seller (who wouldn't have a facility for accepting cc payments) rather than via the agent.

I don't actually know why Hilary, but you can't use a credit card for a resale - it would have been so much easier:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter