DVC not eligible for cruise promo

OKW Gram

Earning My Ears
I was reading the DCL discussion board today and saw that DCL is having a Sunshine Sailaway cruise promo (promo code SSOW2) that runs from 1-10 through 3-21 for the 3-day Wonder cruises. I called MS today to see if I would be eligible as I have 2 adjoining rooms booked for the January 24 cruise and was informed that DVC members are not eligible for this promotion - only cash paying cruisers. So, as far as I am concerned, that means that the DVC cruisers subsidize the cash paying cruisers, and I find that terribly unfair. The CM in MS didn't seem very sympathetic to my dismay either. His only response was if I wasn't happy with the situation that I could write to a Jackie Luedres at DVC in Celebration Florida. I asked him if she had an email address and he said "No". As her title is Manager of Guest Satisfaction and Communication I find it very difficult to believe that that role wouldn't have an email address in the year 2001. He indicated that the only promo that DVC was eligible for is the Fall promotion. I'm not sure why we would be eligible for the Fall promo and not the Winter one. I know I've read that DVC has had problems negotiating with DCL, and this may all be related, but nonetheless upsetting. And in lieu of what seems to be happening with people's
travel plans, I'm wondering how many other promos may be offered that DVC members will not be eligible for. I intend to write a letter to this Jackie Luedres, but I'm not expecting any change.

This will be my fourth cruise with Disney using my DVC points, but will probably be my last. There seems to be an attitude that because we are using our points we should be grateful that DCL allows to cruise with them.

I guess this issue is pretty minor in light of the last week's happenings, but it does make me angry to thing we are treated differently from the other cruisers.

God Bless American and especially the families of the victims of September 11, 2001.

DVC has a contract with DCL. This contract is made long before specials like the Sunshine Sailaway are announced. This contract does include discounted cash rates below the rack rate published for rooms, but does not include any future promotions run by DCL. The only time that DCL has offered additional reductions to DVC is during Hurricane season and that has only been the past two years.

I know this does not make you feel any better, but the Sunshine Sailaway is not a guarenteed promotion each year so DVC cannot include in its contract something that may not happen. As a matter of fact, there were rumors that there was not going to be any winter promotion this year. I think the recent reduction in cruisers due to the 9/11 tragedy resulted in the promotion.

Who knows if bookings do not pick up like they hope, DCL, may extend its offer to DVC. (Don't hold your breath) DVC Fall Fantasy has always been released after the Cash Fall Fantasy.

I have cruised both on points and on cash and will be cruising this week on cash only again. I would advise that you have the choice to book a cruise on cash with the discounted program and keep your points for another WDW vacation.

The reverse is true as well here. Some weeks are exempt from the DCL Promotion such as peak travel weeks, school vacation weeks, etc. whereas DVC members booking on points do not pay a higher premium for those more valued travel times.

Hope this helps you out! :)

OKW Gram, I can truly appreciate your concerns. I've had a similar inconvenience with DVC since the beginning of August. I hope maybe someone can post a reply to help assist me as well.

I'm a brand new member, one month. Once my escrow closed, I've been trying to book a 7-night cruise (Magic) through DVC.

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that the DVC members were required to pay their cruise in-full at the time of reservation. After questioning why non-members were permitted a $200 per-person deposit (a definite perk!), the response was so matter-of-fact and non-helpful I found it hard to believe I was dealing with Disney.

This same conversation brought up the point that airline and ground transfers are extra costs. DVC staff made no offer or attempt to schedule air/ground transportation for me, but just stated the transportation was extra. I was left with a distinct impression that air & ground were my responsibility to make on my own.

I ended up making a reservation, on my own, with DCL to get the the week and stateroom I wanted (and to take advantage of the deposit-method). I just recently found out through a DVC operator that DVC does not re-book this type of reservation to use points.

With this information, I contacted DCL to cancel my reservation (since I ultimately want to use my points). They asked why DVC didn't convert, or re-book, the reservation and were surprised when I said that DVC told me it wasn't permitted.

I'm finding that the DVC side of Disney is much more inconvenient compared to non-members making their own reservations. The lack of helpfulness by DVC staff is baffling.

I can fully understand the comments made regarding the Fall Fantasy/Sunshine Sailaway, but it seems to be such a struggle to work with DVC.

Thank you all for permitting me to share my views and I look forward to reading any comments you may be able to provide.

:)

It's this type of inequity that has me concerned about the points exchange options in general, especially DC, DCL and CC. Actually the DC is the most inequitable by far.

You can write to Jackie, C/O the MS email address. Just address it to her. You can also call her at the MS #. I talked to her about a week and a half ago about a number of my concerns including this general issue. She seemed very knowledgeable but obviously has no power to change the current rules. I'm sure she's the point person for taking to the Board the multitude of issues that come through MS.

CarolAnnK:

Regarding your post of cruising on cash rather than points, I'm now VERY sure that the cash works much better for DCL.
But you indicated that DVC doesn't pay a higher rate for some seasons. I suspect we pay that higher consistently throughout the year regardless of when we cruise. If you use the $10.00/point value that everyone seems to agree is fair and reasonable and figure out your cruise cost based on that $10.00/point, you will see that we are definitely paying more than cash customers for our cruises. Even with that in mind I still feel that using my points for cruising (at least while I'm still making payments for my DVC membership) is a better option for me. And maybe what DVC needs to do when negotiating the contract with DCL is to negotiate for any and all promos that may become available during the year. If reservations are down due to certain economic and/or other conditions, I still feel that DVC members should benefit from the same promos as cash customers.
Amous: I agree with you regarding having to put ALL of the cash upfront just because it was a DVC reservation. We are all part of the Disney family (at least that's the way I looked at it since my purchase in '97), yet we are treated as the "ugly stepsisters".
Dean: I'm assuming the Jackie you referenced is the Jackie Luedres that I was told about yesterday. If so, the CM in MS told me yesterday that she didn't have an email address and never indicated I could send email to her at the MS email address.
You just start to get the impression that because DVC is selling at such a phenomenal pace that they now do not have to offer alternative vacation accommodations at a reasonable rate. This has become very evident in the 2002 point charts for the Disney collection and the DCL. At the time I purchased they were very attainable options to the DVC, but I no longer find that to be true. And there will be those who will argue that DVC reserves the right to change points in these areas and I know that's true. It just seems that some of our options are no longer one of the perks that DVC used to help close contracts.
Having said all this I'm not sorry I own DVC at all, but I am sorry that they are sort of locking us out of some of our options (in a very subtle way).
Wouldn't it be ironic if due to the serious economic downturn Disney reduces the points required for the Disney collection and the DCL just to get warm bodies into the parks to spend money? It's pretty obvious that most DVCer's are definitely in the Disney Diehard category.
Maybe it's time for the "Disney parent" to relook at the "ugly stepsisters".

Trust me, if you email to MS or call them, you can get to Jackie L. regardless of what you were told. I've personally done it on a couple of occaisions as late as the last week. As a matter of fact, I have an email message sitting in my in box right now I haven't read yet.

OKW Gram - You must be reading my mind! The "ugly stepsister" sydrome was exactly how I felt each time I talked to DVC rep's. I feel better knowing that I'm not alone! (I'm not sure if this is a good feeling to have when Disney is concerned, don't you agree?!)

Dean - I've talked to so many representatives from sales and customer service. I finally had to back off because my frustration level was getting a bit overloaded. It's seems, though, that after hearing these same issues from several people, DVC would graciously change a few of their policies.

Hopefully Disney really does monitor these sites and will grasp our suggestions in order to turn them into a positive for future customers.

Good luck - I wish you all the very best!

Amous

:)

Frankly, I've found Disney (including DVC) to be very receptive, honest and helpful overall. I am a details person and want the specifics and facts. The "that's what I've been told so it must be true" answer is an unacceptable one. MO is my second state, at least in spirit, "Show Me". DVC and MS have been understanding, receptive and very helpful over the years and I trust they will continue to be.

I always get amused and aggravated with the "that's what my guide told me but I didn't get it in writing" posts. Especially since DVC is so mild and clean when it comes to timeshare sales tactics, especially when compared to some of the others out there.

I also believe in changing things from the inside and that's what we must do in these situations. Changes will not come quickly, many changes will never happen and by the time some do, the problems will be different. That is the nature of the beast. I live in Tallahassee and it would be much easier to just call down to the state office and file a formal complaint if it was warranted but DVC deserves the chance to act on their own first. Let me be clear in this area. There are several problems I think DVC could and should be better and these include the external exchanges like DC, DCL, CC etc. I'd put II exchanges separately. These are however not areas that I feel are in violation of any trust or laws as long as the Board is acting in the best interest of DVC. Now, if one could prove that the Board compromised the position of DVC in favor of other Disney interests, that would be a violation of State law.

OTOH, I feel that not allowing member representation on the Board at the sold out or nearly sold out resorts as well as not providing a way for members to vote are violation of both the contract and state law. I will work from the inside to affect change at this time but I certainly would consider filing a formal complaint or going through the non binding arbitration option if needed. I'll bide my time though, no need to be hasty.

You may see DCL sucking wind here in the next few months if the economy continues to nosedive and they can't fill the boat with cash paying people, then they might appreciate us DVC members.

"...He indicated that the only promo that DVC was eligible for is the Fall promotion"

Whom ever you spoke to may have mislead you. We were on Magic 8/26. That Cruise was part of the Fall Fantasy Promotion for cash paying guests. It wasn't originally, but was added late(verified in phone call) when it became apparent (I assume) that it wasn't going to sell out. The promotional rate did NOT apply to those of us using points. This subject came up at the DVC meeting on board the ship, and a DVC CM was going to look into it and get back to me. I have yet to hear. It seems like DCL is not treating DVC as an equal "corporate" family member. Points must have some cash value to DCL, although I have no real knowledge of how they work it out between the two on the business end. To go into the response I received when I questioned this would be too long for this forum, but I will say DVC and DCL have virtually no communication between them. i.e. call DCL, they say call DVC, then DVC to tell them what DCL suggested, then call DCL back and get another cm, start all over again, etc....

To clarify the Fall Fantasy being offered to DVC members. The Fall Fantasy discount offered to DVC member the past two years has been only a discount for those persons cruising on points. If you are paying with part points and part cash, the price for the cash guest is the pre-negotiated price between DVC and DCL. No additional cash discount is given to DVC members because of Fall Fantasy.

But to make one little note. This year DVC members did receive a shipboard credit as part of Fall Fantasy. Guest who paid with cash exclusively did not receive a shipboard credit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter