DVC overbooking rooms?

GOOFY D

DIS Veteran
My wife and daughter were just in WDW for the Food and Wine. They had a BWV Studio Boardwalk View room (our home resort). When they checked in, they were told that there were no more Studio Boardwalk View left because they were very overbooked. Has anyone had that happen? I do not understand how, when a DVC member books 11 months before a trip, at their home resort, that the rooms can be overbooked. Isn't that the whole idea behind the 11 month window, to guarantee a room that you book. They ended up putting them up in a 1 bedroom, but without the boardwalk view. They had no need for the additional space or full kitchen, but wanted the boardwalk view that we booked nearly a year ago! Has anyone had this issue before?

Their explanation was that due to the Food and Wine (and related races), their rooms were significantly overbooked. We have never had that happen before and actually do not think it is right for them to do so.

That's frustrating to lose the BW view. Doubly disappointing given the difficulty of BW view studios are to secure during Fall Frenzy.

You should reach out to MS and share your disappointment and ask for a better understanding of what happened that would result in your displacement, as well as what can be done in the future to avoid this?

That's frustrating to lose the BW view. Doubly disappointing given the difficulty of BW view studios are to secure during Fall Frenzy.

You should reach out to MS and share your disappointment and ask for a better understanding of what happened that would result in your displacement, as well as what can be done in the future to avoid this?
In a situation like this, the DVC Member Satisfaction Team would be a better group to reach out to. They have direct access to anyone necessary, including the resort GM.

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

Columbus Day weekend 2017, we had a boardwalk view studio view booked. We arrived around 8PM and they said there was an issue with the room, so we were given a 1 bedroom garden/pool view instead. (We lucked out and it was a village green view, very close to the boardwalk, so we did have a partial boardwalk view.) For us, it was a pleasant upgrade--we were travelling with our kids, and this actually gave us a chance to have our own bedroom while the kids slept in the living room on the sofabed.

In September we booked a BWV 1 bedroom from one night. We actually booked it the night before at like 5pm. Our plan was to spend the first part of the day at magic kingdom then Epcot with Hollywood studios the next day. So we had fp for MK.
While in the car on our way, we got a call asking us if wanted pixie dust and stay VGF. They said we didn't have to take it but since my DD2 loves GF we did.

I do know that people cancel at the last minute all the time. We were at DHHIR one year and the last several nights of our reservation was cancelled inexplicably (Frankly we think some inexperienced CM pushed the wrong button). Anyways, add to that the resort was booked solid. Yet, at least one cancellation occurred for every day (one night it was two cancellations-one an hour before check in). That's a fairly small resort. I'm in no way suggesting that overbooking is OK, but I can see DVC might do it. However, they need to hear from the other side-the impact on the people who DO show up for a reservation made 11 months ago. The room really SHOULD be there!

The other issue is people who self extend. Or the VIP who wanted to stay in a BW view studio instead of the pool/garden view.

My wife and daughter were just in WDW for the Food and Wine. They had a BWV Studio Boardwalk View room (our home resort). When they checked in, they were told that there were no more Studio Boardwalk View left because they were very overbooked. Has anyone had that happen? I do not understand how, when a DVC member books 11 months before a trip, at their home resort, that the rooms can be overbooked. Isn't that the whole idea behind the 11 month window, to guarantee a room that you book. They ended up putting them up in a 1 bedroom, but without the boardwalk view. They had no need for the additional space or full kitchen, but wanted the boardwalk view that we booked nearly a year ago! Has anyone had this issue before?
I doubt it was truly overbooking. Likely a holdover guest, room out of service unexpectedly or possibly they upgraded someone else for some reason. It's frustrating but order of booking doesn't play into priority of assignments with DVC. Things happen, we've heard a lot worse over the years. I'd contact MS, the difference between BW points and standard view points would be reasonable in this situation but that's about the limit of reasonable compensation IMO.

Got an upgrade once due to over booking at VWL:
Booked a studio at VWL, when we tried to check-in, we had been upgraded to a WL 2 bedroom lake view suite. Called some family members to come and join us for an unexpected vacation.

I remember a few years ago where there was an issue with availability at BCV. One person was sent back to OKW being told that was their option since it was their home resort (I think they got a 3 BR) and another was given a concierge room at BWI IIRC. I think there were a couple of others reported here at the same time with less dramatic outcomes. There have also been a number of last minute scrambles due to refurbishments that could have been handled better. I recall a couple of different ones at AKV that DVC allowed the resort itself to run the show and they did it extremely poorly both times. Envision going for a Concierge reservation at AKV to SSR last minute for routine refurbishment. I also recall a BWV BW view refurbishment that wasn't done all that great but not as bad as the AKV ones. Things happen, and as a rule, I generally would side with the resort on such matters, but there is often room for improvement.

My view is that some of these issues, esp the individual ones along the way, happen because DVC isn't willing to say no at times when people complain about view, etc. They need a set approach and consistency and to be willing to let people be upset when it's called for without giving back points, giving away rooms or giving credit.

Columbus Day weekend 2017, we had a boardwalk view studio view booked. We arrived around 8PM and they said there was an issue with the room, so we were given a 1 bedroom garden/pool view instead. (We lucked out and it was a village green view, very close to the boardwalk, so we did have a partial boardwalk view.) For us, it was a pleasant upgrade--we were travelling with our kids, and this actually gave us a chance to have our own bedroom while the kids slept in the living room on the sofabed.

The only 1 bedrooms on the Village green are considered a Boardwalk view afaik. It is right at the corner of the building. All the pool/garden views there are studios.

The only 1 bedrooms on the Village green are considered a Boardwalk view afaik. It is right at the corner of the building. All the pool/garden views there are studios.

That’s true - I got it the first time I booked a boardwalk view one bedroom. Was disappointed at first but I had my mom who was undergoing chemo with me, so I figured being close to the elevator was more important (5th floor). Also the bedroom had windows instead of a balcony. Small balcony off living room.

That’s true - I got it the first time I booked a boardwalk view one bedroom. Was disappointed at first but I had my mom who was undergoing chemo with me, so I figured being close to the elevator was more important (5th floor). Also the bedroom had windows instead of a balcony. Small balcony off living room.

We also got it once - can't remember if it was the 4th or 5th floor. Trotted back to the front desk to say we hadn't gotten the Boardwalk view! Was assured it was and when I did a little searching on it saw many reports that it is indeed a Boardwalk view assignment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!