DVC OWNER NO REFUND

I suspect most of the people with the CFAR policy were waiting for the date to pass with the resort closure rather than actually being proactive and canceling the trip when they knew the resort was likely to be closed?

Yes, and I ran a search for CFAR discussion. A few thoughts:

1) It appears people thought they had a CFAR policy, but they did not. Case in point, someone said they had a CFAR that didn’t cover pandemics. Then by definition, it’s not a CFAR policy! Yikes.

2) Cancellation - yes, you have to cancel and refuse any ensuing refund or voucher. I’ve done this with airlines that try to give me a voucher, and I decline it. I can’t imagine an owner saying no to a renter saying “keep all of my money.” For paperwork, a simple letter/email indicating a no-refund cancellation would suffice.

3) Someone said they couldn’t buy a CFAR because it took 20 days to book the resort (contacting the member, booking, etc..) This is a false reason. The moment money leaves your pocket is when the clock starts. I believe most rental sites take a deposit before having a member book, correct me if I’m wrong.

Trip insurance is usually bad. But, you really gotta work to find the diamonds-in-the-rough, which is why I advocate working with a professional. I usually DIY *everything* but this I still go through a broker.

My heart aches for these folks, seriously. Saving for a Disney vacation is not a minor undertaking.

Exactly how is the OP "bashing" the owner? By explaining that the owner has ghosted them? That they promised a refund by email even though their contract says otherwise and now won't respond to emails? That's "bashing"?

bashing was in regards to here threatening the owners employment with disney... or with anyone. She said she would call her bosses. Nothing really to do with a private transaction.

i wouldnt work with anyone who did that... but everyone is different and some of us need out jobs more than others.

Luckily, I think most supervisors or HR managers wouldn’t take any unsolicited and unrelated civil grievances seriously. Mostly for legal reasons, but also common sense. I’d place it in the same category as “spurned ex-lover calls your workplace and airs out dirty laundry.”

bashing was in regards to here threatening the owners employment with disney... or with anyone. She said she would call her bosses. Nothing really to do with a private transaction.

i wouldnt work with anyone who did that... but everyone is different and some of us need out jobs more than others.
If the DVC Member valued her job and didn't want to get in trouble for renting DVC points, then maybe she should have followed the rules of her employment.

FWIW, I think the whole story of the DVC Member working for Disney is probably a lie to make them appear more trustworthy.

If the DVC Member valued her job and didn't want to get in trouble for renting DVC points, then maybe she should have followed the rules of her employment.

FWIW, I think the whole story of the DVC Member working for Disney is probably a lie to make them appear more trustworthy.

forgive me if this was addressed already, but are DVC employees not allowed to own DVC?

If they were in violation of their employment rules then I think it's very appropriate to discuss with DVC/Disney. I believe in some departments it's in their job description and not tied to getting the discount but I'm not sure the exact specifics of who is allowed to rent and who is not.

Disney cast members are allowed to rent points that were bought without discount. we dont know either way how they were bought.

However i am inclined to agree with you regarding a lie. ... more trying to make the point that when she is looking for good will over what her contract says she is legally owed that sugar versus vinegar with owner will do her more favours.

Yes, they can own DVC points. If they get a discount for being a CM, they have limitations on usage.

When I bought RIV in the fall with my kids, we did not have anything special included in terms of conditions for using my DDs CM discount...she is now one of the owners,

Now, she works for Disney Theater and not DVC, but still, no restrictions were given to her or us regarding rentals.

If points were going for $40-60 per point, they would exceed the cost that Disney charges for CRO bookings of the same rooms.

Its a hypothetical question regarding how much control/ownership the owner has of the reservation/points. Lets even call it $16 to $22 if you would like for a 300 point stay.

My point is the renter would correctly be upset if the owner just ripped up the contract and rented to someone else. So its incorrect than to on the flip side have a renter rip up the contract and demand the money back.

If there is a clause that either side can cancel for any reason until a certain date its a different story but 99% of the contracts I have heard of are no cancellations on DVC rentals.

When I bought RIV in the fall with my kids, we did not have anything special included in terms of conditions for using my DDs CM discount...she is now one of the owners,

Now, she works for Disney Theater and not DVC, but still, no restrictions were given to her or us regarding rentals.

If you got a cm discount, you/she signed a page or section regarding cm discounts and restrictions.

In my view, they are renting specific points to be used for lodging, not a guaranteed room reservation at a particular resort on particular dates.
This was the fundamental question at the center of a long debate in the early days of the "Davids" thread.

Are you renting specific points and the renter can only use them until they expire? Or is the renter paying for the accommodations reserved using those points and still owed compensation even if the points expire because they didn't get the accommodations?

Before the closures, it was generally understood to be the former. The non-refundable status of contracts ensured that owners still got paid, even if the renter cancelled. So points expiring wasn't an issue because the owner was paid for them either way.

Then all DVC resorts closed for months. Renters couldn't go even though THEY didn't cancel, and things got murkier in terms of whether the renter was still due a reservation regardless of the status of the owner's points.

If you got a cm discount, you/she signed a page or section regarding cm discounts and restrictions.

Nope. We did not sign anything like that. And yes, I just went back through it all.

The discount was only $1000 so maybe with that small of an incentive things are different.

Nope. We did not sign anything like that. And yes, I just went back through it all.

The discount was only $1000 so maybe with that small of an incentive things are different.

It could potentially be in the documents she signed when she first became an employee....?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!