• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Points for Disney Cruise - Worth It?

dunangst

Mouseketeer
New to DVC - my husband and I are thinking of going (alone) on the 3 day Disney Cruise with our first year's DVC points. Wanted to hear from folks who've used DVC points to pay for Cruise. Is it worth it - is the value as good as at the Disney properties? What about for folks travelling without children? How is the food? Entertainment? How are the excursions? Thanks...

First off, Welcome to DIS!

We did the same thing last year. When we signed up they gave us an extra years worth of points so we used them on a cruise. Most if not all members will say that this isn't a good use of the points but I think it was okay. There were 4 of us and it cost us around 340 pts. We had a good time and booked a 7 day while on board. Didn't use points on that one and probably won't in the future.

Put it this way if I sold or rented those points at 10.00 each, which is low by the way, I would have paid 3400.00 for a 3 day cruise. We paid about 5 k for a 7 day in the same cabin. Just an example of the ability to get a better value for cash vs. points. But if you are like us... the reason we joined was to use our points. Using them on our cruise was fine by us. Just personal opinion.

WE are using our pts in 2008 again to cruise and do a back to back Mexican Riviera. We will use our pts to pay for the first week and cash for the second.

Alot of posters will say both that when you inclued food and entertainment and room and not paying for food or tickets at WDW it comes out to be fair. We use our pts to how it will make us happy and cruising makes our family happy.

We love to cruise so that is our first choice. We will be also using some of our pts for Disneyland for 2 days next week.

There are alot of people on the crusie with no children, but there are children so if you dont like them than that is not the ship for you. But there are adult only area and adult pool areas...no children aloud.

The value is best at your home and other DVC properties.

Go here for all your questions on DCL...http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

I think certain times, certain lengths of cruises & certain cabin categories are better values than others. And it's something you really have to put some time into to figure it all out. We just booked a 4 n cruise with our points for next summer - the point charts still aren't out yet for '08 but based on the '07 charts I think we'll have enough. It's peak season so it's more expensive any way you look at it. We were able to snag a "secret porthole" cabin (which is basically like a Cat. 8 but they sell it as an inside Cat. 10 'cuz it has a partially obstructed view). By booking the Cat. 10 we should have enough points to cover all 3 of us - the cash price is currently about $3,000. That's $3K that will stay in our pockets - so we're happy with that.

We then decided to book the 3 n. cruise immed. following the 4 n. on a cash ressie thru Dreams Unlimited and booked the same cabin so we don't have to pack up & leave - the cash price for that is about $2,250 (incl. 1 way Xfer but no insurance). We looked at it as 7 n worth of cruising for only $2,250 in a peak season (and meals are included on the cruise so we feel it's an all inclusive vacation)...not too shabby, really. We spent prob. around $5,600 for a Cat 8 GTY (ended up in a Cat 6) for the last W. Coast cruise in '05 - and it's gone up a lot this time...so we're happy with the decision to use points for this one.

If you do the math tho, it would've been a better deal to rent the points out & use the cash to book the whole thing - we're new owners tho & just are not ready to start the whole renting thing. We figure they're our points & we'll use them the way we want to!

it's all a matter of person preference.

for us - we live in Canada and make 1 big trip a year - so if that year (well 2 really because the points are per person so we would have to borrow from the following year) we chose to go on a cruise (prob 2014 for our 10th anniv) then for us it's worth it.

same when we are looking at staying at Caribbean for a trip - ok the points are ridiculous since it's not part of the DVC but it's our one trip and thats how we are using them.

we don't have the luxury of living close so we can return for 3 or 4 night trips through out the year (I wish)

so if the point value is worth it to you, if the memories out weigh the number of points then it's worth it.

I've never run the numbers but a buddy of mine is addicted to Disney cruises and has been on more than ten!! I suggested he look into buying DVC just for cruises and he said he had studied it and concluded that he could do better on a cash basis. He's a banker so I assume he knows what he's doing.
John

For us, even if the points needed to take DCL was lower and more in line with their value, we still would not use them for a cruise. If you have to cancel the cruise, you can no longer use those points at a DVC resort. Then the value REALLY goes down. We have done 2 cruises with DCL and paid cash for both.

We have been on two 7 day cruises, one with points and the other cash. I think cash works out better. Value is not a word I would use for a Disney Cruise. We are staying at BCV next February. Thought it would be great to add a 3 day cruise onto the end until I realized it would cost our first born. I am glad that I did the two, but just did a NCL cruise this Feb for about 1/4 of the money and pretty comparable services.

Rob

NCL Dream 2/07
Disney Magic 2/04
Disney Magic 2/03

While at SSR looking at AKV models last week, we met OKW owners who were among the first buyers. They own just under 1000 points, live in Florida, she is a CM, since when, I don't know. However, they have been on many cruises, 7-9. He said that for him, when he compared prices cash vs points, he has come out ahead. So, I guess it's possible.

We have been on 2 DCL cruises using points. I enjoy DCL cruises, but either using points or paying cash, we have found that they are more expensive, and sometimes much more expensive than cruises that we have enjoyed as much. However, we'll go again sometime, because the Disney experience is different and special, and we will probably book with points, because it's just easier on my mind to spend the points than to spend the cash, truly a personal preference.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I've never run the numbers but a buddy of mine is addicted to Disney cruises and has been on more than ten!! I suggested he look into buying DVC just for cruises and he said he had studied it and concluded that he could do better on a cash basis. He's a banker so I assume he knows what he's doing.
John
He is correct. One normally gets a return of about $6-6.75 per point for using with DCL, not even fees plus a amortized return of principle. Then there's all the risk and extra potential costs for a points reservation over a cash reservation. For FL residents it is even worse, coming in many times at below the fees for the points.

Yeah, Dean is absolutely right. If you've got points to burn, and you need to use them, then by all means, cruise on points. And it goes without saying, if you're FL resident, don't even think about it. Also, many of the travel agencies offer better deals than DCL, so you need to figure that in as well.

We're using points for our Fall cruise. We have a son in college and tuition costs really eat up alot of our free money. We went back and forth about the points use for the cruise, and felt the points were the way to go. We factor in all meals and ship entertainment included and feel it's worth it for us, at this time in our lives. As I said, with one in college.....and another less than 2 years away from going to college, we need to hang on to our money. Points for the cruise turned out to be a no-brainer for us. Sure we know we get better mileage using the points for a DVC stay, but everyone has to do what is right for them at the point in their lives that they are. The memories we've had from two past disney cruises will be well worth the points I'm sure (for us).
If you do decide to pay cash for the cruise, check around with various travel agents and comparison shop prices. I've always gotten better rates with travel agents vs booking with DCL directly.
We love the ships....the excursions are great....the entertainment is pure disney style. You'll love Castaway Cay.
Enjoy whatever you plan to do with your DVC points :thumbsup2 They are yours to have fun with :banana:

If you have the points to burn, can't use all the points at WDW if you paid cash for the cruise, and are not real comfortable with the whole rental process to pay cash with the rental money.....then use your points.

Booking with points through DCL is the best for us. When you look at the cost of the cruise and divide it by the number of points to be used for the fare we get anywhere from 8.50-9.00 per point. If we rented our points we would get only 10.00 a point so we figure 1.00 a point is worth peace of mind.

New to DVC - my husband and I are thinking of going (alone) on the 3 day Disney Cruise with our first year's DVC points. Wanted to hear from folks who've used DVC points to pay for Cruise. Is it worth it - is the value as good as at the Disney properties? What about for folks travelling without children? How is the food? Entertainment? How are the excursions? Thanks...

When are you planning to go? If it is high season for cruising, it might not be so bad to use your points. We cruise in early December though, during the cheap rates. We pay cash as it is a much better deal at that time of the year than using points.

We have no kids and we love the Disney cruise, by the way. The food is good and the entertainment is great! The excursions on the 4 night were fine- not outstanding, but okay. If you're a Disney fan, you'll love the cruise. I'm guessing you are or you wouldn't be buying into DVC.

Booking with points through DCL is the best for us. When you look at the cost of the cruise and divide it by the number of points to be used for the fare we get anywhere from 8.50-9.00 per point. If we rented our points we would get only 10.00 a point so we figure 1.00 a point is worth peace of mind.

We're cruising in Aug on a 4-day, Cat 7, two adults one child. I was able to get a rate from a travel agent of $2688 including insurance. It takes 465 points for the same cruise. Since we don't have hundreds of points, it was a no brainer for us to pay cash.

We're cruising in Aug on a 4-day, Cat 7, two adults one child. I was able to get a rate from a travel agent of $2688 including insurance. It takes 465 points for the same cruise. Since we don't have hundreds of points, it was a no brainer for us to pay cash.
This is representative of what happens. Most situations where the numbers work out reasonable for cruises are for higher category cabins where discounts are less frequent and less steep and when one missed the early booking discount. Occasionally there will be a non discounted cruise but that isn't overly common if one plans 1-2 years out as you should for any cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter