DVC Purchase - Help!!

Paulab

Supplier of Pixie Dust to the Whole Family!
We've just returned and are interested in purchasing DVC but are VERY confused by the whole system. I understand it works on a points basis, but cannot get the calculator to tell me how much it would cost (we would be looking at July/August time of year).

How long is the purchase for, is it for so many years, or is it for life?

Do the charges for your weeks increase year by year, i.e. if 2 weeks in August costs 600 points this year, is it still going to be the same in 10 years time?

Hope someone can help - didn't much fancy using 90 mins of our holiday to find out whilst there!

I'm not madly knowledgeable about all this, but I can help a bit.

The number of points you require depends on which resort your interested in and whether you want a studio, 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom villa. Let people know and someone will probably work it out for you.

The purchase lasts until 2042 and until that time the number of points shouldn't go up. Once you've bought your points, you then pay a yearly maintenance fee (currently $3.77 for each point you own at Beach Club Villas). This will go up each year, but hopefully not too much!!

Becky

Hi Paul

I think Becky has answered most of your questions. There is some more things you need to consider.
You need to decide which DVC resort you would like to stay at most.

There is at WDW:

Old Key West
Villas Wilderness Lodge
Boardwalk Villas
Beach Club Villas.

Off the WDW resort there is:

Hilton Head and Vero Beach

Only Vero Beach and Beach Club Villas can be purchased direct from Disney. The cost per point at present from Disney is $80. The rest of the resorts can be purchased through a resale of an existing contract at potentially a lot less $$ per point. The minimum number of points you have to purchase to initially join is 150 points. You can then add on from Disney at a minimum of 25 points.
The resort you buy into initially is then known as your "home" resort and you can book stays at the 11 month window. You can also stay at any other resort subject to availability, but only at the 7 month window.

If you wanted to stay at for example:
The Beach Club Villas, for 14 nights from 21st July 2003
A Studio apartment would require 268 points.
A One bedroom apartment would require 540 points.
A Two bedroom apartment would require 700 points.

You can download a program called DVC Points Manager for http://hometown.aol.com/dmfredrick/Download.html
This program is more geared to existing members, but can allow you to quickly calculate how many points you need for a particular stay.

You then need to decide how often you would like to stay at the DVC resorts.

You can bank points from one year into the next year e.g.
2003 points can be banked for use 2004. You can also borrow points from the next year e.g. borrow 2005 points for use in 2004. So using the example from above, if you used the banking and borrowing facility you could stay every three years at a one bedroom apartment at the Beach Club Villas, if you purchased 180 points.

180 points x $80 = $14 400.

If you have any more question then let us know. There are plenty of helpful people on the boards. :)

That's exactly how I was going to put it - but it was just getting too late!!

Becky

You buy the points at the ongoing rate.At present it's 80$ per point.It's possibly going up to 85$ per point if you believe the us dis boards.

The points will ALWAYS but the same amount of time at each DVC resourt for the whole term.This runs until 2042.

The amount of time your points allocation buye depends on what time of year you go.Christmas is peak so expensive on points.Also friday and staurday are more expensive on points that the other days. Example im March or October I cam stay in a one bedroom at BVW for 222 and 174. In december this goes up tp 310.So the time of year is vital.

I have a 225 points allocation per year and go every other year.This suited me just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!