DVC Purchase Prices

I offered $15 below asking on a contract that wasn't crazily overpriced compared to some listings and it was accepted, so you never know.

As kboo said, different sellers have different motivations, and you won't know until you ask. I think it's more important to do your research (through the ROFR thread and broker reports), crunch the numbers for your situation, and decide what is the highest you'll pay for X amount of points (with some variation for a perfect UY, if that's important to you, and if the contract is stripped or loaded).

And don't be afraid to keep trying. I know someone who had multiple BLT contracts taken earlier this year when finally one passed - at $100 per point.

I think unless you're looking at a loaded contract or a reasonably priced sub-100 pt contract I think offering $120 vs a $135 listing is a reasonable offer that a seller shouldn't be offended at. As other posters have mentioned, the DVC market has been hot this year and most sellers are swinging for the fences with their listing price. If i was a seller, I would too. But unless it's a 50pt BCV w/ banked points in your use year I'd offer the $120 and go from there. I'd rather hurt a few seller's feelings than overpay :)

Unless the listing says firm, I say make an offer. In most transactions such as this, both sides want to feel like they got something (meeting in the middle). You got a few bucks off and they got a few bucks higher than their offer. That being said, this market lately has been far more unpredictable and the ranges even for the ROFR on this and other boards can vary wildly. I would also put those and people here in a more educated group in terms of DVC. Some may find resale but not realize such a resource exists and make an offer thrilled they are saving so much off direct pricing. Just my .02

Pretty sure I can't say becsuse they compete with a disboards sponsor for sales. Just Google search ROFR blog and you should be able to easily find it. They post monthly reports.

And, by the way, I love the Timeshare store. Great customer service. If you email Jason there, he may be able to tell you what he considers a reasonable offer to be these days.
I agree - Jason is very helpful!

I made a low offer on a VWL last year and the seller said no and he wouldn't entertain any further offers from me. I then went on to get a super great deal on a BLT contract. I'm much happier with the BLT contract, so it was for the better that the first guy said no.

So, as others have said, don't be afraid to offer a low bid just because you don't want to offend the seller. As long as you can handle the rejection, in whatever form it may come.

Good luck!

I made a low offer on a VWL last year and the seller said no and he wouldn't entertain any further offers from me. I then went on to get a super great deal on a BLT contract. I'm much happier with the BLT contract, so it was for the better that the first guy said no.

So, as others have said, don't be afraid to offer a low bid just because you don't want to offend the seller. As long as you can handle the rejection, in whatever form it may come.

Good luck!
I feel the same way about our VGF contract - after several failed low(ish) offers on BWV and BCV!

And don't be afraid to keep trying. I know someone who had multiple BLT contracts taken earlier this year when finally one passed - at $100 per point.

You rang?!? :dancer: Just keep trying everyone. I had 4 fall through via Disney exercising ROFR or sellers backing out and still got the great deal which finally passed!

I also wanted to add that multiple brokers have told me that some buyers lie about their purchase price. One told me she knew which contract it was because they listed her as the broker, and she matched it up, and that buyer lied by saying she paid $10 less pp than she did. It happens. :(

Thanks for all the replies and info! Now I'm just hoping for that big tax check to put a bigger down payment!

I also wanted to add that multiple brokers have told me that some buyers lie about their purchase price. One told me she knew which contract it was because they listed her as the broker, and she matched it up, and that buyer lied by saying she paid $10 less pp than she did. It happens. :(
What the- seriously? Why?! People use these boards - especially the ROFR board - as a research tool!

I suppose that's a little naive to think you can trust everything you find on the interweb, but what good does that possibly serve to skew the numbers... wait... but I'm believing your posting... which is also from the aforementioned interweb.

[tucks into fetal position in the corner]

What the- seriously? Why?! People use these boards - especially the ROFR board - as a research tool!

I suppose that's a little naive to think you can trust everything you find on the interweb, but what good does that possibly serve to skew the numbers... wait... but I'm believing your posting... which is also from the aforementioned interweb.

[tucks into fetal position in the corner]

Haha. Ask some of the brokers, and they’ll tell you. They have some crazy stories.

So some buyers post on the ROFR board with fake low prices? Then again, I am buying a contract that someone bought direct and financed who made no payments on the maintenance or mortgage...

So some buyers post on the ROFR board with fake low prices? Then again, I am buying a contract that someone bought direct and financed who made no payments on the maintenance or mortgage...

So they didn’t really “buy it” at all. Haha. Wow. People never cease to amaze me. I’m glad you found a good contract!

Regarding the lying on the ROFR board, I don’t think it is rampant, but it doesn’t surprise me. Some people are just so competitive that they want to be one of the ones who get a “great deal” or who got the “best deal”. I fully admit that we offered $20pp over what the listing amount of $80pp. No matter what positive vibes I put out there, no way would Disney let me get a BLT contract through for $80pp. We paid $100pp and still worried. I don’t know the whole story except the sellers were international. Maybe they just wanted to unload it quickly. Regardless, we were happy to take it off of their hands for a great price! Regardless of the motivations of the “less than honest” ones who fudge the prices, it still stinks that it happens because a lot of people rely heavily on that data when making offers and/or trying to predict the likelihood it’ll get through ROFR. :/

So they didn’t really “buy it” at all. Haha. Wow. People never cease to amaze me. I’m glad you found a good contract!

Regarding the lying on the ROFR board, I don’t think it is rampant, but it doesn’t surprise me. Some people are just so competitive that they want to be one of the ones who get a “great deal” or who got the “best deal”. I fully admit that we offered $20pp over what the listing amount of $80pp. No matter what positive vibes I put out there, no way would Disney let me get a BLT contract through for $80pp. We paid $100pp and still worried. I don’t know the whole story except the sellers were international. Maybe they just wanted to unload it quickly. Regardless, we were happy to take it off of their hands for a great price! Regardless of the motivations of the “less than honest” ones who fudge the prices, it still stinks that it happens because a lot of people rely heavily on that data when making offers and/or trying to predict the likelihood it’ll get through ROFR. :/

Wow. We made a too-late offer on a BWV contract that was asking under $90 pp (when most other brokers were listing in the $115+ range), in talking to that broker, they later found a BWV that was asking under $90. We were already in contract on the VGF contract, though. But if he'd found that contract earlier, we'd have ended up buying that instead of VGF. So super-low-priced contracts are out there, but not that easy to find.

I recently sold one of my interests at VG
Resale is a business transaction - usually with a stranger. Don't worry about "insulting" anyone. Offer what you are willing to pay and if the seller is "insulted", that's on them. Some sellers (and buyers) have no idea what the true market value of a contract happens to be. Either party to the transaction can just say no if the deal isn't right for them. Good luck!

I agree with you. I just sold one of my interests at the Grand Floridian. I had 250 points listed at $144 a point and had someone offer me $119 a point. I wasn't offended at all. I told my representative to counter at $169. I increased it the equivilent that they decreased my asking. My sales rep said they were insulted. 3 days later they accepted my original asking price. I was not offended, we all want to buy something as low as we can and sell something as high as we can get, but truth be told is if they offered me $140 a point I would have taken it. Just sharing from a sellers point of view here. :goodvibes

i don’t think lying on the ROFR board happens very often, but I do think that the ROFR board should be used in combination with other sources such as the Orange County Controllers site.

The ROFR board only sees a small fraction of the transactions, but it does show you points distribution (loaded or stripped) and who pays closing costs and MF.

The OC site shows you every transaction in the market, but it does not break out points distribution or who pays fees.

I couldn’t agree more it takes some work, but all the info on the OC comptroller site will give you the most accurate info. The broker I used had 2 contracts listed and passed for AKV $68/220pts each sold Nov2017. I low balled a listing that was up for 6 months AKV $83/250pts and it passed, but we are waiting on closing... which feels like forever. I’m curious if broker/title company is a factor for Disney on ROFR....

Research is key though, but take it from the horse!

I think we, as buyers, make assumptions on what sellers think based on our lenses, perspectives, and knowledge (especially if we are on the DIS). When in reality we have no idea what motivations and/or expectations the sellers may have. So, as others have said, make an offer YOU can be happy with. And, don’t take it personally when an offer is rejected.

I couldn’t agree more it takes some work, but all the info on the OC comptroller site will give you the most accurate info. The broker I used had 2 contracts listed and passed for AKV $68/220pts each sold Nov2017. I low balled a listing that was up for 6 months AKV $83/250pts and it passed, but we are waiting on closing... which feels like forever. I’m curious if broker/title company is a factor for Disney on ROFR....

Research is key though, but take it from the horse!

While I also believe the OCC site gives you good info, it lags the market by a couple of months or so. In a market that's rapidly changing, either up or down, that much of a lag can lead to some inaccurate conclusions. I am not all that familiar with the OCC site, but AFAIK, it doesn't tell you things like number of banked or borrowed points, and who paid closing and maintenance fees. There are many items that can influence the price.

I think that Disney loves the ambiguity involved in what a "fair" asking price for what one of their contracts is.
When I bought back in July, I had way too much time on my hands and made a huge spreadsheet based on the ROFR thread, the DVCResale blog entries, and any other source that I could find. I accounted for banked points or stripped contracts, and found that the price per point was all over the place, even when taking these into account. This led to me asking to pay $5 above asking in order to ensure that the contract I wanted would pass ROFR. I probably did not need to spend that extra money, but they got into my head.

The best price to pay on a contract is one that makes sense to you. If you know you are going to be going to Disney a ton, and prefer the deluxe accommodations, then paying more per point is worth it to you. If you are more into bargain hunting, then just trying over and over until you can get the cheapest contract possible may be more what you are looking for.

I think that Disney loves the ambiguity involved in what a "fair" asking price for what one of their contracts is.
When I bought back in July, I had way too much time on my hands and made a huge spreadsheet based on the ROFR thread, the DVCResale blog entries, and any other source that I could find. I accounted for banked points or stripped contracts, and found that the price per point was all over the place, even when taking these into account. This led to me asking to pay $5 above asking in order to ensure that the contract I wanted would pass ROFR. I probably did not need to spend that extra money, but they got into my head.

The best price to pay on a contract is one that makes sense to you. If you know you are going to be going to Disney a ton, and prefer the deluxe accommodations, then paying more per point is worth it to you. If you are more into bargain hunting, then just trying over and over until you can get the cheapest contract possible may be more what you are looking for.
I agree. When you combine info from the OC site and info from the ROFR thread, you will find little correlation with points or closing costs. It varies all over the map.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!