DVC Purchase Prices

I think that Disney loves the ambiguity involved in what a "fair" asking price for what one of their contracts is.
When I bought back in July, I had way too much time on my hands and made a huge spreadsheet based on the ROFR thread, the DVCResale blog entries, and any other source that I could find. I accounted for banked points or stripped contracts, and found that the price per point was all over the place, even when taking these into account. This led to me asking to pay $5 above asking in order to ensure that the contract I wanted would pass ROFR. I probably did not need to spend that extra money, but they got into my head.

The best price to pay on a contract is one that makes sense to you. If you know you are going to be going to Disney a ton, and prefer the deluxe accommodations, then paying more per point is worth it to you. If you are more into bargain hunting, then just trying over and over until you can get the cheapest contract possible may be more what you are looking for.

So true. We paid what seemed fair to us for resale that would likely pass ROFR, since we didn't want to spend the time going through the process multiple times (here's hoping!!). The price per point really is varied across multiple sites (or even on the same one!) especially when taking all factors into consideration, and keeps changing every day. I think they'll continue to go up with the direct price increases and all the new developments so we didn't want to wait on resale to go lower.

So true. We paid what seemed fair to us for resale that would likely pass ROFR, since we didn't want to spend the time going through the process multiple times (here's hoping!!). The price per point really is varied across multiple sites (or even on the same one!) especially when taking all factors into consideration, and keeps changing every day. I think they'll continue to go up with the direct price increases and all the new developments so we didn't want to wait on resale to go lower.

After I paid the higher price, I never saw another one that was any lower. Glad I made the call that I did.

Remember, only one person can get the best deal. Everyone else overpaid by comparison. :)

Also, if you're paying cash, make sure the broker knows it--speeds closing and may motivate the seller into taking a few dollars less.

We looked for broker owned contract.
That way when we call and make and offer we are talking to the owner. Less back and forth.

We looked for broker owned contract.
That way when we call and make and offer we are talking to the owner. Less back and forth.
That's really interesting - how do you find a broker owned contract? (or how can you tell, by the listing?)

That's really interesting - how do you find a broker owned contract? (or how can you tell, by the listing?)
It was in the listing. I’ve tried to mention the company before but I don’t think it is allowed. Small family owned company.
It was so easy. We got instant acceptance over the phone after we both countered a bit. Then within 5 minutes got the email offer. After the phone call it was than 48 hours it was sent to Disney.

It was in the listing. I’ve tried to mention the company before but I don’t think it is allowed. Small family owned company.
It was so easy. We got instant acceptance over the phone after we both countered a bit. Then within 5 minutes got the email offer. After the phone call it was than 48 hours it was sent to Disney.

As easy as that may have been, my contract using the timeshare store and a private seller was sent to ROFR within 8 hours of me signing my offer.

I will add that I have had pretty good luck with both of my resale contracts, bought through two different brokers. One was a private seller, the other was a lender that had foreclosed. Both were sent to ROFR within 24 hours of an accepted offer on the phone. Oddly, though, the contract bought from the lender took longer for both ROFR and estoppel, even though both should have cleared easily (the original owner had not paid MFs or their mortgage), since DVD in effect already had gone through ROFR and estoppel while in those proceedings and getting to the point of the lender taking clear title.

I have definitely been lucky with both of these, as I've recently heard some stories of long drawn out processes, rescinded offers, and the like.

Last edited:
I will add that I have had pretty good luck with both of my resale contracts, bought through two different brokers. One was a private seller, the other was a lender that had foreclosed. Both were sent to ROFR within 24 hours of an accepted offer on the phone. Oddly, though, the contract bought from the lender took longer for both ROFR and estoppel, even though both should have cleared easily (the original owner had not paid MFs or their mortgage), since DVD in effect already had gone through ROFR and estoppel while in those proceedings and getting to the point of the lender taking clear title.

I have definitely been lucky with both of these, as I've recently heard some stories of long drawn out processes, rescinded offers, and the like.
I’ve heard so many bad stories about buying resale, this was our first. I am happy how smooth the whole process was. We should close middle of February.

I’ve heard so many bad stories about buying resale, this was our first. I am happy how smooth the whole process was. We should close middle of February.

I'm sure there are plenty out there, just as there are examples of bad things happening in any area of life. That's why I thought it was worthwhile sharing that there are also pleasant, easy exchanges using private sellers through a broker.

We have had no problems with the 3 resale contracts that we purchased from 3 different brokers. I'm sure most people only report the bad experiences, but there is a lot of knowledge that come out of those experiences. Like being cautious of foreign sellers or contracts tied up in a divorce or some other probate issue.

I offered what i was willing to pay; it was way below the going rate (maybe even 20-25% below the average price on the boards). They did not answer me for two weeks. I assumed the lack of response was a "no".

While vacationing at Disney on my other contract, I got a call saying my offer was accepted. I was floored. You just never know.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter