DVC purchase requires disclosure of State marriage took place?

pharm35

Earning My Ears
Were other couples signing up for DVC required to report what state they were married in? We were told as a same-sex couple they needed that information since gay marriage is not legal everywhere. I told them that it was but the salesman told me it was required information. Has anyone else had this experience?

Were other couples signing up for DVC required to report what state they were married in? We were told as a same-sex couple they needed that information since gay marriage is not legal everywhere. I told them that it was but the salesman told me it was required information. Has anyone else had this experience?

Are you buying resale? I am sure DVD would be scrupulous about legal details. If you are going resale, maybe try calling DVD and ask for a "guide". Then, in the course him him presenting his information, you could casually ask the question. Then nail him down, and ask him to check with legal or someone who DOES know, if they seem unsure.
I hope you can a correct and true answer. So many people just give incorrect information when they don't know the answer.
Also, people don't have to be married to buy a contract together.
Let us know what you find out. :welcome:

We are buying directly from Disney. We stopped at one of those DVC desks while we were there last week.

So was it one of the DVC presale appt guys who asked you that?
It seems like it shouldn't even come up until you are preparing to sign papers with legal at purchase.
I am honestly astonished. I am genuinely curious about the purpose and necessity of that information.
Hopefully someone will know and come tell us.
I bought direct from Disney, sole on the contracts, but am married. They asked no questions that I recall, It was back in 1995, about my marriage. I simply made this my purchase, one person, on the contract. I didn't have to explain. I really don't recall any invasive questions. But as I said, that was back in 1995, and my memory and eyesight have both dimmed. I bought more direct from them in 2010, and no questions then either.

The woman at the DVC desk set up up with an hr tour and info session. We thought about it overnight and called the salesman back to say we were going to do it. He needed our names, address etc. that was when he asked what state we were married in. I was confused. I asked why it mattered and if straight couples where asked this. He said no, only same sex couples because gay marriage insnt legal everywhere. I told him it was legal in every state in the United States of America. He told me that it is not. We went back and forth. Then said , well I just have to ask what’s on the form. ???????

The woman at the DVC desk set up up with an hr tour and info session. We thought about it overnight and called the salesman back to say we were going to do it. He needed our names, address etc. that was when he asked what state we were married in. I was confused. I asked why it mattered and if straight couples where asked this. He said no, only same sex couples because gay marriage insnt legal everywhere. I told him it was legal in every state in the United States of America. He told me that it is not. We went back and forth. Then said , well I just have to ask what’s on the form. ???????

They probably didn't update the forms. Which means they are using forms dated prior to 2015.

Hundreds of same sex couples must have purchased DVC since 2015. That’s why I thought i’d Ask if others were asked this too.

That type of question and the sale person's answers to you are just all kinds of wrong. I would run far, far way and then buy a regular condo. This I would rent it on one of those VRBO sites. Mountains or beach locations rent pretty easy. Take my extra cash from the rental and do Disney on my terms. That sales person needs to find a different line of work. I'm doing my best to write without my favorite four letter words for that sales person. Good Luck with any and all real estate choices.

That seems odd. I have 2 friends (older couple, but they are JUST best friends) who purchased Marriott Vacation Club jointly (several weeks actually). They are not married, just friends.

I don't think you even need to be married to purchase. I mean, lots of single people own timeshares and vacation clubs as well.

Just put it in your trust that you own jointly.

It seems discriminatory to demand marriage proof.

My husband and I bought our first DVC contract in 2010 -- before we were married and when same-sex marriage was only legal in a handful of states. We were not asked anything about marriage, and I really don't see how it is relevant in any case. As others have said, plenty of unmarried people buy DVC contracts together. Obviously, the woman was just flat out wrong about our marriages not being legal everywhere... Unfortunately, it sounds like you had the misfortune to be dealing with a homophobic salesperson. Makes me furious... I really hope this won't put you off from buying a DVC contract if you think that is the right choice for you. The salesperson we dealt with back in 2010 was just fantastic, as I think most of the DVC guides are.

I'd be generous, I don't think everyone pays attention to the news. Most people, if the form says to ask it, they will ask it to the point of absurdity. Chalk it up to cluelessness.

We bought direct from Disney in 2017 and were just asked if we were married. No questions about the state.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!