DVC question

argue

Mouseketeer
ok ill cut to the chase. i tried looking on disney DVC website with it all sugarcoated, i just wanna know, HOW much is a DVC membership?

If you buy direct from Disney, you need to buy a minimum of 160 points.

Prices range from $92/point to $104/point, depending on the resort. There are also sometimes incentives that reduce the price per point.

So you're looking at $16k or more for the initial purchase, then yearly maintenance fees which run about $4.50/point, but again, vary by resort.

alternatively, you can buy a resale contract. (a list of DVC contracts available through the board sponsor is linked above on the right.)

i bought a teeny-tiny contract resale for less than $4000. limits my options considerably, but i got it to stay onsite for 5 weeknights a year around nov/dec (excluding holiday weeks) in a studio at OKW and it works fine for that...(and maintenance fees run less than $15 a month.)

cost varies considerably depending on what you want to accomplish.

ok ill cut to the chase. i tried looking on disney DVC website with it all sugarcoated, i just wanna know, HOW much is a DVC membership?

Look at the DVC Resale Listings at the top of this page; you can purchase a lower-point/lower-cost membership through them (or other resale brokers) at most, if not all, the DVC resorts (AKV resales are still very rare). Once a member, you're part of the DVC family as far as Disney is concerned.:thumbsup2
Many folks on this board have done business with the TSS, both in buying and selling, and seem to be quite pleased. Dis-ers will be very happy to tell you their experiences.:goodvibes
Good luck.:)

If you look at resale costs, keep in mind there are a couple small costs you might end up paying on top of the listed price. You will have some closing cost (about $500) and you may be liable for current maintenance costs on the points you receive.

i bought a teeny-tiny contract resale for less than $4000. limits my options considerably, but i got it to stay onsite for 5 weeknights a year around nov/dec (excluding holiday weeks) in a studio at OKW and it works fine for that...(and maintenance fees run less than $15 a month.)

actually, that's a great deal if you think about it! For example: I'm looking at a resale for Saratoga Springs - 50 points - $4,350.00 . If all I needed was a studio and I planned on doing most of my travel during the non-peak times (January/February/October/November) and during the week (Mon-Thur) at eight points a night.. that's a 6 night stay! At the way the prices look lately, you could easily spend $4,300 on two week long trips at a moderate resort - and through the DVC I could stay for years and years doing a week long trip (as long as it's during the off seasons) for the same price!

Correct me if my math is wrong anyone...

all this time I've been looking at HUGE point packages but maybe a smaller package is the way to go for me. Right now it's just me and my husband, we have no kids.. and even if we did.. we could always have them (if we have more than one) sleep on the pull out couch in the studio.. and if for some reason we couldn't go one year we can bank our points and stay in a one bedroom the following year.. am I correct?

wow.. here I was thinking I could never afford DVC but maybe if I start saving my change from the car and couch ;) I can afford it!

thanks! :thumbsup2

actually, that's a great deal if you think about it! For example: I'm looking at a resale for Saratoga Springs - 50 points - $4,350.00 . If all I needed was a studio and I planned on doing most of my travel during the non-peak times (January/February/October/November) and during the week (Mon-Thur) at eight points a night.. that's a 6 night stay!

based on my experience as a cheapskate DVCer, i'd recommend looking for a 60 pt contract if possible - as it gives you the option to stay in studios at other DVC resorts for at least 5 nights in a row each year...

and the tricky thing about the "6 night stay" that you mention is that it would need to be separated by a weekend offsite or elsewhere, since DVC point costs go up so much on fri-sat.

all this time I've been looking at HUGE point packages but maybe a smaller package is the way to go for me. Right now it's just me and my husband, we have no kids.. and even if we did.. we could always have them (if we have more than one) sleep on the pull out couch in the studio.. and if for some reason we couldn't go one year we can bank our points and stay in a one bedroom the following year.. am I correct?

that would work.

it's also a good way to get started without having to finance the cost: buy a smaller resale that you can afford...and add-on as needed down the road as you are able to pay cash for them.

it does limit you. studios are your only option if you go each year, and you can't afford to stay on weekend nights. you obviously wouldn't have the option of trading out to different timeshares, so you have to be committed to using points at wdw. there is some talk that DVC may cut perks for small contract holders, so i wouldn't recommend buying if you're counting on the AP discount or something.

but, given the limitations, i do think that it's an absolutely amazing deal for staying onsite at wdw.

based on my experience as a cheapskate DVCer, i'd recommend looking for a 60 pt contract if possible - as it gives you the option to stay in studios at other DVC resorts for at least 5 nights in a row each year...

yeah, I was thinking about that because I'd obviously like to stay at some of the other DVC resorts every once in a while and with 50 points I don't think I'd get much bang for my buck at VWL or a more "expensive" DVC.

it's also a good way to get started without having to finance the cost: buy a smaller resale that you can afford...and add-on as needed down the road as you are able to pay cash for them.

yep, I was thinking that also because obviously as time goes by our travel needs would change.. I'd LOVE to be able to get a big three bedroom someday and invite my parents and sister to stay with us.

Thanks so much for your opinion/advice. You should write a book called "DVC on a dime!" or something. haha.

I bought DVC before I knew about the DIS or buying resale. I wish I would have known about buying resale.

As mentioned earlier, you can buy smaller contracts (starting at 25 points) or larger ones. Plus, it's typically cheaper per point.

Click Here for a link to the TimeShare store (or just click their link at the top of your page) for some ideas on current resale contracts.

Note that initial buy in is only part of the costs.

You'll have $4-5 per point in fees every year on each point, and those are subject to inflation. On a 60 point contract its about $270 a year or something, depending on resort.

Also, DVC only gets you the room (but no room tax!), you still need to get to WDW, buy park tickets, eat, get yourself some Mickey Ears, etc.

How many points you buy, thus the cost, is up to you. You can buy as few as 160 direct from Disney, or you can buy a small resale contract from a resaler. You have been given that advice above. Just suffice it to say that it CAN be addicting! We started with a 230 point contract 10 years ago, and NEEDED to add on another 150 point contract within the first year. Now at year 10, we have added on 69 more points at AKV. See, "some" is never enough! Just be prepared to be bitten by the DVC bug! (referred to here as "addonitis"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter